Again, excellent pictures. I was just wonderin' have you got any websites that have the RAAF squadron codes? I've got an excellent RAF one but that doesn't deal with the Commonwealth squadrons unless they're actually in the RAF (450-467 RAAF etc. etc.).
No sorry I don't, I have an excellent book that I use, it has a brief history on all the squadrons, where they were based, sqdn codes, aircraft used etc. If you have any questions regarding any RAAF squadrons, drop me a line, and I'll see if I can get an answer for you.
That's interesting, 'coz I've never seen that before D. I'm not being sarcastic or anything, I really do find that interesting.
Whenever I've seen RAAF or RCAF mentioned, it always referred to the Royal Australian Air Force or Royal Canadian Air Force, respectively. I've never heard of Australian squadrons in the RAF being referred to as "RAAF". Different.
The Canadian squadrons in the RAF normally had names, so it generally wasn't (#) (RCAF) Sqdn with the Canadian ones. The Polish and Czech ones normally had names too. Generally the RCAF squadrons in the RAF were 400-445 Sqdn. The RAAF ones were 450-467 Sqdn. The RNZAF were 485-490 Sqdn.
So, it'd be 450 (RAAF) Sqdn. Or 486 (RNZAF) Sqdn. As I said though, RCAF normally had a name like; 401 (Ram) Sqdn. so RCAF would normally be missed off. Or 402 (Winnipeg Bears) Sqdn.
Ah, I never really clued into that about the Aussie and Kiwi squadrons. Interesting.
I guess I did misunderstand you to a degree. I thought you were referring to actual RAF squadrons made up of Australians as opposed to RAAF squadrons attached to RAF wings.