1:32 scale Lancaster Mk.1 Hachette Partworks

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks again Kevin, Martin, Andy, Geo and Bill for looking in. I got on with installing the bomb aimer's rest. As constructed, this tilts forward and back, though I will need to pick a final position when it's enclosed.

Shots 12 show it in position from the front.

Bombaimersrest1_zpsc507f13d.jpg

Bombaimersrest2_zps6cc8d08e.jpg

And shot 3, how it looks from the rear of the compartment.

Nosefromrear2_zps3c18ca12.jpg

It was then time to position the bomb sight as per the instructions but when I did a dry fit to check, it sits far too high in the Perspex dome, as you can see from the reference shot. I'll have to alter it to lower it to make it look more realistic. This will probably entail cutting the bracket arms. I need to think about how to do this and remount it, and that will be my next challenge.

Bombsight1_zps09ed63c4.jpg

BBMF21_zpsbac5f56e.jpg

Once that's sorted the two triangular brackets in the perpex dome will be added and that should be this section completed, prior to skinning and glazing.

That's it for now.

Gerry

Beaut work there Gerry. I agree about the bomb sight - been looking at how to construct the brackets and sight for my Tamiya kit, when I finally get down to doing it.
That said, I've seen this sight mounted in various positions on the bracket, so perhaps it was personal choice of the crew member.

Jan, Terry, Andy, Gnomey, Wurger, Kevin, David and Paul I really appreciate your continued support and interest for this project. Thanks to all for taking the trouble to post.

Terry, interesting to hear you're thinking about starting the 1/48 Lancaster. I've heard it's a good kit but have you identified whether it needs a lot of correction/scratch-building to get it right? I'm assuming you're going to build it fully closed?

Gerry

Nice to see you back Gerry, sounds like your trip down under was well worth it, good to know the father-in-law is still around.

Looking at your build, I'm kind of finding it hard to know if I'm looking at your efforts of the real McCoy. Brilliant effort, incredible detail.

Yes Gerry, it needs a lot of corrections!
I last built this kit back in 1978, straight out of the box, as it was a 'rush job' for an ex-Lancaster navigator, and I wasn't particularly impressed by what's provided for the high price of the kit - even back then it was around £25 !!!
Fortunately, I picked up my example at a very reasonable price this time around!
The radio operator's windows are too far forward by around 12 to 18 scale inches, the internal detail provided is either incorrect or in the wrong place, or both, and a few other minor things are wrong too. The bomb bay is a nightmare, with huge bomb locating pins to be removed, unless the un-realistic kit bomb load is used.
I'll be building it 'closed up', but with main door and cockpit windows open, in a diorama setting, but there will be a lot of internal scratch-building in those areas visible.

Just beautiful Gerry!

Agree with Terry too -maybe the sight was adjustable, and could be positioned higher or lower as the bomb aimer preferred?

Btw: I'll be in Dublin on Friday, maybe we could catch up for a pint and a yarn if you have time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back