1:32 scale Lancaster Mk.1 Hachette Partworks

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Done Terry.

Now, getting back to the build, I adapted the bomb sight mounts to drop the sight lower and added the triangular brackets, as in this reference shot.

Unknown_zps21c224b5.jpg

Below is the result but it had some aspects that I was unhappy with, but they're not apparent from this angle.

BombsightX1_zpsa3c02df9.jpg

The problem is that the brackets supplied are too long and stick too far into the nose blister – see the following two shots - and you can't reduce the angle without closing the gap between them completely.

BombsightX2_zps4dd6dfc6.jpg

BombsightX3_zpsab1b2dad.jpg

I removed the brackets to see what could I do to shorten them. I could have cut them down but that would have meant losing the 'V' attaching feet. On closer examination of the reference shots, these brackets were flatter than supplied in the kit so I decided to make some new ones from some spare(?) aluminium strip I had. I scored the strip to achieve sharp bends, as in the photo below. A coat of black was then all that was needed

Bombsightbrackets_zps1904afdc.jpg

Here are revised shots with the new brackets installed. I cut thin notches in the nose ring with a razor saw to give some support to the brackets. You can see that the angles from the side are much closer to what was installed in the actual aircraft. There is still some retouching of the paintwork to be done after installing the brackets.

BombsightA5_zpsd60a2dce.jpg

BombsightA3_zpsd4b8215c.jpg

BombsightA6_zpsd4946b87.jpg

BombsightA2_zps66cae6a9.jpg

BombsightA4_zpsda24cca7.jpg

Just to finish this segment of the build off, I dug out the nose blister and tacked it to the nose ring with a couple of spots of PVA just to make sure it fitted and also to check what will be visible. BTW, the nose blister is still be fitted with metal attaching brackets and rings.

BombsightA7_zpsfea5b05d.jpg

BombsightA8_zpsc749e39f.jpg

BombsightA9_zpse7eb0774.jpg

BombsightA10_zps596802b0.jpg

And finally how it might look from the inside. I probably won't be able to access this angle when the blister is finally positioned in the build, as the cabin section will have already been attached at that stage. Sorry for all the apparent repitition.

BombsightA11_zps091f6372.jpg

So, where does that take us? The nose section still needs some retouching and will eventually be skinned and glazed. The cabin section still needs some cables added with repairs and retouching before it's ready for skinning. And all the other sections need further construction, fitting and painting.

I feel I need to regroup and start following the build sequence again, including the boring bits: basic construction, stringing, painting etc., to make sure I'm not overlooking anything and it will have to be done at some stage. Nothing too exciting, but I will make sure to keep you updated on the progress.

Sláinte,

Gerry

Bloody brilliant Gerry! Be nice to be able to tell you that in person today! :) (shame you can't make it Terry, but will have that pint(s) in your name!)

A great improvement Gerry. Just one thing though - it's not all that clear in the photos of the real thing, but the sight is mounted onto a flat plate, roughly triangular in shape, on the left (port) side of the sight housing. This plate is mounted onto a floor bracket, as shown on your model, but is also attached to the port-side 'V' bracket, being an extension below the original mounting point on the 'V' bracket, where the earlier MkIX CSBS would have been attached.
I can find and scan some photos of the real set-up if it will help.
Also, what on earth are those circles of 'dots' on the nose blister?!
They're far too large, and in the wrong place, to be the mounting point for the 'Z' equipment lamps for 'Village Inn', which is probably what they're supposed to be. Polish them out Gerry !

Very happy to say I met the man in person yesterday! Top bloke, and Ivett and I had a great time with him in Dublin.
Many thanks Gerry, and hope to see you again in the near future, whether in 'the fair city' or the outbacks of Carrick... :)

Thanks Evan, you beat me to it.

I enjoyed meeting Evan and his fiancee and we had a long chat about out mutual interest in the hobby. After a little alfresco lunch outside one of Dublin's numerous pubs - it was a summer's day here for a change - and a couple of pints, with which we toasted Terry's and Jan's health, I was able to direct Evan to a couple of our local model shops. Hope you had some success there, Evan. My only regret was that I had neglected to bring my camera, as I'm sure a shot would have made the occasion come alive for everyone. No doubt I'll see you again in the not too distant future.

Gerry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back