1:32nd P-47D-25-RE of Lt. Col Francis Gabreski, June 6th, 1944 Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

All the references I have concerning the camouflage paints, including those by Roger Freeman, refer to the paint stocks used being the RAF Dark Green and Ocean Grey (Dark Sea Grey similar). The only question mark was the exact shade of the blue, when used on the undersides, which is definitely RAF, and presumed to be Azure Blue. The cockpit colours should be standard Republic paints.

Got the cockpit color covered then...

As per Gabby himself, in his book, "Light Grey on bottom, dark green on top with medium grey..."

Mike Dobrzelecki interviewed Gabby at his home and came to this conclusion: "Medium Sea Grey on bottom, Dark Green on top with Ocean Grey...

Sounds like we're right on the button, except with the bottom.... Im using Model Masters Enamel Paints.... Trying to figure out the codes....
Model%20Master%202%20Enamel%20Chart.jpg

According to that chart Dan, they have a RAF Medium Sea Grey - fifth from the bottom, second column from the left. Colour charts are rarely accurate, unless they use an actual paint chip, but it looks to be in the right area. MSG is roughly the shade of the darker of the two greys on the forum web pages, as a very rough guide. To be honest, I normally just mix my own, until it looks right!!!
Whilst I remember, and it's way in the future yet, don't forget the gun blast tubes. Many models show these as black, or a gun metal colour. They were, in fact, stainless steel mounting/blast tuibes, and notthe actual gun barrels as some think. period colour pics clearly show this, and there are some detail close up shots in the pics I provided from Duxford.

Last edited:
The problem with teh Gabby's kite is that all known pictures show the machine state at a couple of different periods of time.These earliest shots are from the June/July break.Then shots taken on 5th July and later , shortly before the last flight of the P-47. According to Gabreski and his tech crew member Felix Schacki the plane was painted with RAF Dark Green and Ocean Grey on upper surfaces and sides.And with Medium Sea Greay on undersides. The Dark Green paint was applied firstly then the Ocean Grey spots. However there is a few doubts about the main landing grear doors and undersides of the wing tips.But the main problem is with the painting of undersides of the vertical stabilizres and elevators.In a few shots of these areas it can be seen the balck quick ID strip.It can indicate that these areas weren't painted at all. Or the black strips were left there. In addition, these victory markings were stickers preserved with clear dope. Because the aircraft was re-painted with the camo, most of the exploitation stencils was overpainted.

Concerning the thin black strips around the invasion strips . it was the thin ( 1" ) insulating tape.

Beautiful guys, thanks a million... Was hopin to hear from ol' Wayne-boy and see what his interpetation is, as he's going to be doing the same crate....

Sorry Dan...haven't even been thinking about Gabby's crate yet....the first thing I would like with Bill's permission is a copy of that hi-res pic to really study, so far with what you have posted and linked there is some pretty interesting stuff to re-read and review, in an attempt to catch up don't think I will get fancy at all just a basic build with some trimmings...

Diggin through some books I came across a couple color shots of Schillings 56th FG Jug, as well as another one from the 62nd FS.... Same camo work up as Gabbys.... Took some quick shots with the camera....

Are we still solid on the colors recommended Terry????

Pics are from Fighters of World War II by Jeff Ethell and Bob Sand...

Attachments

• ~56th 005.jpg
    ~56th 005.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 477
  • ~56th 010.jpg
    ~56th 010.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 735
  • ~56th 008.jpg
    ~56th 008.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 1,070
Last edited:
Dan I don't know if you need these but just in case here goes.If you need the full sized shots just let me know. I don't know if these will be of any help because I'm not sure of how correct the restoration is because I'm not very knowledgeable in this field.:oops:

IMG_6006 resized 25.jpg

IMG_6008 resized 25.jpg

IMG_6051 resized 25.jpg

IMG_6054 resized 25.jpg

IMG_6058 resized 25.jpg

IMG_6059 resized 25.jpg

IMG_6060 resized 25.jpg

IMG_6061 resized 25.jpg

IMG_6062 resized 25.jpg

IMG_6063 resized 25.jpg

IMG_6067 resized 25.jpg

IMG_6068 resized 25.jpg

IMG_6069 resized 25.jpg

IMG_6070 resized 25.jpg

IMG_6071 resized 25.jpg

IMG_6072 resized 25.jpg

IMG_6073 resized 25.jpg

IMG_6074 resized 25.jpg

IMG_6075 resized 25.jpg

IMG_6076 resized 25.jpg

IMG_6078 resized 25.jpg

IMG_6079 resized 25.jpg

IMG_6080 resized 25.jpg

I agree, beaut shots ABW !
Yep Dan, the colours are on the button. But note that in the first shot, the 'flat' belly tank is in US Neutral Grey (OK, Gray !!)
I've got some more colour pics of cammed 56th FG birds if you want them mate. It might be that on some aircraft, the underside paint came away in parts when the AEAF stripes were removed, and what appears to be bare metal is showing through on the gear doors on one kite. I'm not sure without checking further, but I seem to recal the RAF paints were sprayed on directly, without the use of a primer. If you look carefully, and allow for the different light intensity, you can see the slight difference in shades between the underside, the underside of the wings, and the colour of the belly tank.
BTW, just for your interest; the Heinkel He111 that is now in the RAF Museum at Hendon, was once used by the 56th, painted in a snazzy black scheme with outlined code letters etc, like some of their late war P47's.

Dan, at the moment those are all of the detail shots that I've got, sorry. If we get a good weekend and I'm not working a friend of mine wants me to fly down to the museum in Sevierville, TN. to get a look at that plane and one other P-47 that is down there. So hopefully we'll go soon, oh, and your very welcome sir.:oops:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back