1/48 OS2U Kingfisher, Aussie bird.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

meatloaf109

1st Lieutenant
Jan 1, 2012
north carolina
I have reciently aquired this kit and as I have gone the limit in the #15 Carrier Aircraft build, I am posting it here. I am doing something different from the usual USN, an Australian RAAF 107 squadron plane. The Aussies got 18 Kingfishers that were originally to go to the Dutch, and opperated them in an anti-submarine role. They made countless patrols off the east coast of Australia, making only one definite attack on what was thought to be a German (!) U-boat, the U-862, on Dec.29 1944.
I have a fine resin engine and am expecting the decals any day now.

king1.jpg

king2.jpg

Should be a good one Paul. That kit as state of the art when first released, and, from what I've seen, still hold up well today. BTW, being an Aussie bird, are you going to pack the sponson and floats with beer bottles ?!!

And the fun begins, there are several inaccuracies on this one. The bulkhead forward doesn't exist on the real plane, so that goes, the radio gear is too close to the rear gun ring and there is a ton of cool stuff, (life raft, more radio gear, floor boards, fire extinguisher...etc.), that I get to add.

king3.jpg

Started cutting and carving out the gun ring, there is a definite difference in where the kit has things as opposed to the real aircraft. I am using Navsource pictures as my guide, also there is a resin aftermarket set that has some good color picts on line that show some detail that is hard to see with the old B/W photos.

king4.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back