1:72 Hawker Hurricane Mk IIb "White 01" Major-General A A Kuznetzov, Eastern Front GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

dirkpitt289

Master Sergeant
Jul 16, 2009
South Plainfield New Jersey
Username: Dirkpitt289
Name: Dirk Pitt
Category: Beginner
Model: Lend Lease Hawker Hurricane
Scale: 1:72
Manufacturer: Revell
Aftermarket addons: None at this time, Decals if I can find them, Other then that OOB with minor scratch building.

151-4.jpg

This build was inspired by my quest to do something completely different. What better way to be part of a VVS/ Eastern front group build than by adding NOT a Russian aircraft or one of the aircraft flown by their diabolical German foe's. Not that the Russians didn't have a great collection of aircraft of their own. No, for this build I chose to go with a Lend Lease aircraft. The venerable Hawker Hurricane! And what better Hurricane to choose other then the very first Hurricane which was presented to Major-General A A Kuznetzov Commanding Officer Naval Air Forces, Soviet Northern Fleet, Vaenga, 1942

A Brief History

With Soviet Russia an ally of Great Britain following the German invasion in June 1941 war material was sent to her aid, probably the best-known British contribution in the early stages being the despatch of an entire Hurricane wing. No. 151 Wing, composed of Nos. 81 and 134 squadrons took a mixture of Hurricane Mk IIAs and Mk IIBs with pilots and ground crew. With twenty-four aircraft assembled and ready to fly and the remaining fifteen in crates. Their operational task was to give air cover to the northern Russian ports that received the convoys, before training the Russians in their use and the repatriation of the RAF personnel. Z5252 had been built by Glosters as a Hurricane Mk IIB, this mark carrying twelve Browning machine guns, and was one of those that arrived crated. It had been built with a "tropical" filter which it retained in its new Arctic environment. It was assembled at Keg-Ostrov, a mile from Archangel, and with others of the same batch was flown in September to Vaenga, where it was kept as a reserve aircraft.

On the 25th of September Major-General A A Kuznetsov, an experienced pilot who was Commanding Officer Naval Air Forces, Soviet Northern Fleet, arrived to test fly a Hurricane, and was presented with Hurricane Mk IIB Z5252 as his personal aircraft, the British markings being replaced with red stars, and the identifying number '01' painted on the fuselage.

The remaining Hurricane Mk IIs were handed over to the Soviet Air Force on the 20th of October, where they equipped 78 IAP. Z5252 failed to return from a mission on the 2nd of June 1942, but it has been recently discovered and recovered from a lake.

We'll get to that part of the story a little later on in the build.

The Model

IMG_1898.jpg

IMG_1900.jpg

Here comes one of those moments we as modelers dread... Opening a box and taking in that first smell of plastic and cardboard. We take each spree tree in hand and look over the formed plastics visualizing how they will go together. HUMMM

Then we come to a spree like the one below.

IMG_1901-1.jpg

You see this little spree tree of clear plastic is clearly missing something. A quick look at the directions proves my suspicion... THE CANOPY IS MISSING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

charlie-brown.jpg

NOT AGAIN!!! First the directions in my Revell Wellington were missing and now the canopy for my Hurricane. $%*frickin%#$*&frackin%#$@!(**^ Hoe!!!! Does revell have any quality control practices in place? Holly good god!

images.jpg

Well it is at this point I will leave you all to go search out some badly needed decals and now a canopy. :confused: It's way to early in the build to start drinking... Augh

I have checked all Revell kits for Hurricane in my stash. The cockpit conopy was attached to all of them. However the the joint to the sprue is very thin and breakable. For the reason one of these was torn off and stayed separate in the bag with all kit parts. Well ... l if I were you I would have a careful look all around your workbench and floor.It might be lying quite close to the place. Check it again.

Hell Dirk after reading your woes, I need a drink. Hope your hunt proved fruitful and the canopy turns up. Like your choice of build as well.

Glad to hear you have found something for markings. Looks like you-n-me are the only VVS builds. Cool stuff. Anxious to see the progress on this one. Bill

Thanks Bill. I finally got the order placed last week. Of course I felt silly ordering just decals so I felt the need to place more on the order to make it worth wild. :p $50+ dollars later I was good to go. :oops:

Happened to me many times. 10 bucks for shipping 10 bucks worth of decals looks silly, but 15 bucks to ship 50 bucks worth of stuff feels better. So spend 65 bucks vs 20. There's logic there somewhere, I just know it....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back