1:72 Hawker Hurricane Mk IIb "White 01" Major-General A A Kuznetzov, Eastern Front GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Bill. I finally got the order placed last week. Of course I felt silly ordering just decals so I felt the need to place more on the order to make it worth wild. :p $50+ dollars later I was good to go. :oops:

That "Free shipping on orders over $100" at Squadron gets me every time. :)

That "Free shipping on orders over $100" at Squadron gets me every time. :)

You mean to tell me I can order one hundred bucks worth of stuff and have it shipped to Australia for nuthin?????????????????? Where's the order form?!

*Oh there it is, I've got it right here.......

Last edited:
Ok guys its been quite some time since I started this thread but there were some issues from day one and I think I got them all straightened out. First was the missing canopy. I was lucky enough to have someone donate one from another site so I can cross that off the issues list. The other was the decal issue and thanks to Wayne and Hannett's I now have them too. TIME TO START BUILDING :D

Late last night I was clearing off my bench following the completion of another project. As I sat staring at the clean bench I found myself thinking of what to start next. Sure I have plenty of builds started already but at that late hour I didn't fell like getting too involved. Hell it was 11:30pm already. Well I finally pulled the little Revell Hurricane from the pile next to my chair and started to sort through it. Looking at the parts. Next thing I knew I was putting glue to plastic.:shock:

Now before I move on to the photos I have to make a statement. I believe it was shortly after I chose this subject for the build that I came across Terry's build of a Hurricane. Now I hope Terry and everyone here take this for the compliment that it is. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

What I mean is I already had my plans for the scope of work on my bird but was clueless as to what to do with the cockpit. Should I detail it knowing full well that nothing would ever be seen again once the fuselage was sealed or should I just slap the three kit parts together and let it go at that? Well thanks to Terry's inspirational work I decided what the hell and plagiarized his cockpit build.:oops: So with all that off my chest its onto the build.

Here is the starting foundation. It's actually pretty nice out of the box. Both the seat and the armor plate appear to be the correct shape no there will be no need to surgically alter anything at this point.

IMG_2346.jpg

With the seat in place I used a pin vice to drill a hole to mount the first bits of the frame work. At first I tried to just glue the styrene into place but it was cumbersome and the parts kept falling off.

IMG_2350.jpg

IMG_2353.jpg

IMG_2354.jpg

Here everything is trimmed up

IMG_2360.jpg

IMG_2361.jpg

Well that's it for now. I'm hoping that is time permitting I will be able to steal some more of Terry's work this evening. :oops:

Thanks for taking the time to look at my (Terry's) build :rolleyes:

Nice work Dirk ! One thing though - on the cockpit rear bulkhead, the kit part has what appears to be a head rest moulded in place. This didn't exist - there was an angled, semi-triangular armour plate in this position. have a look at the piece I added to my Hurricane, although it should really be slightly wider than I made it.

Now this is what I feel the forum is all about, sharing and friendships with a common bond. A good clean start Dirk.
happy0034.gif

Good work there Dirk, use every available resource on the forum to do your model man, that is what it there for..! We are all here to help each other to the Max..!

Thanks everyone for the kind words. :oops:

Time to move forward. What inevitably happens durring my builds is that something gets pointed out or discovered AFTER I move on to another step or where I'm past the point of an easy fix. This project is no different. What was discovered was that the head rest is all wrong for this bird. In the place of the head rest should be an armor plate. To be honest its still not a difficult fix at this stage but I just needed to point it out that it happened every dang time. In the immortal words of Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor it's time for MORE POWER which in the case is in the form of my handy dandy Drummel.

IMG_2361.jpg

As you can see I was able to cleanly wipe away the head rest. I also added some throttle levers to the side panels
IMG_2362.jpg

If you squint just right you can see the throttel controls. I also added the armor plate to the area where the head rest was. This was made with some Evergreen plastic card.
IMG_2363.jpg

Paint added
IMG_2366.jpg

IMG_2367.jpg

IMG_2393.jpg

IMG_2394.jpg

Closed up the fuselage
IMG_2395.jpg

IMG_2396.jpg

IMG_2397.jpg

Wings assembled, but there is a lot more cleanup to be done on these
IMG_2398.jpg