2010 World Cup - South Africa

Who are the World Cup Favorites? Pick your Top 3.

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

DerAdlerIstGelandet

Private Chemtrail Disperser
Staff
Mod
Nov 8, 2004
USA/Germany
There is only 276 days left until greatest tournament in the world. The FIFA World Cup! This time it will be held in South Africa. Should be a pretty exciting tournament as usual. I can't wait, I have been going through withdrawals since the 2006 World Cup here in Germany.

Who are your favorites to win? Any other predictions?

Here are the teams that have qualified so far for the 2010 World Cup:

South Africa (Host)
Australia
Japan
South Korea
North Korea
Netherlands
Brazil

Teams that will most likely qualify (I guess you could say these are my predictions of who the rest of the teams will be, it will be updated as they qualify or don't qualify):

Côte d'Ivoire
Ghana
Algeria
Nigeria
Tunisia
Saudi Arabia
Denmark
Switzerland
Greece
Germany
Russia
Slovakia
Spain
England
France
Italy
Serbia
Croatia
United States
Mexico
Honduras
Chile
Paraguay
Argentina
Columbia

Here are the next Qualifying matches:

09 Sept. 2009
Gabon vs. Cameroon
Saudi Arabia vs. Bahrain
Faroe Islands vs. Lithuania
Czech Republic vs. San Marino
Malta vs. Sweden
Liechtenstein vs. Finland
Northern Ireland vs. Slovakia
Wales vs. Russia
Bosnia Herzegovina vs. Turkey
Belarus vs. Ukraine
England vs. Croatia
Andorra vs. Kazakhstan
Albania vs. Denmark
Hungary vs. Portugal
Slovenia vs. Poland
Germany vs. Azerbaijan
Romania vs. Austria
Israel vs. Luxembourg
Armenia vs. Belgium
Moldova vs. Greece
Latvia vs. Switzerland
Spain vs. Estonia
El Salvador vs. Costa Rica
Trinidad and Tobago vs. United States
Mexico vs. Honduras
Bolivia vs. Ecuador
Uruguay vs. Columbia
Paraguay vs. Argentina
Venezuela vs. Peru
Brazil vs. Chile

They have a shot. They are in 3rd place in their group and 5 points behind first place. They need to win out the rest of the games and hope that the leaders of the group (Denmark and Hungary) lose out the rest of their games.

Very long shot, but not impossible.

It's really amazing. The Dutch pro's didn't think it necessary this time to wait qualifying until the last match. I can't remember when it was the last time they qualified this early.

sorry to be the party-pooper
but I think it's going to be interesting to see how the SA authorities handle tourist crime, there's going to be alot of foreigners coming to SA who possibly know that it's bad for crime without really comprehending just how bad.

I really hope it's a great tournament but I'm not getting sucked in by the Capello hype; I don't think our chances are better than they have been for the last 4 or 5 tournaments.

sorry to be the party-pooper but I think it's going to be interesting to see how the SA authorities handle tourist crime, there's going to be alot of foreigners coming to SA who possibly know that it's bad for crime without really comprehending just how bad.

You are correct on that.

sorry to be the party-pooper
but I think it's going to be interesting to see how the SA authorities handle tourist crime, there's going to be alot of foreigners coming to SA who possibly know that it's bad for crime without really comprehending just how bad.

I agree. Me and a few friends were going to fly to S. Africa for the games, but decided not to because of the same thoughts.

Colin1 said:
I really hope it's a great tournament but I'm not getting sucked in by the Capello hype; I don't think our chances are better than they have been for the last 4 or 5 tournaments.

I think England is looking real good right now and they have good chances, but I think they will do what they do a lot of the time. Which is look good and them fall apart in the tournament. I am just glad they are going to qualify. I missed them in the European Cup. They are one of the teams (Germany, England, Italy, France, Brazil, Argentina, Netherlands) that really make a tournament for me.

Last edited:
I think Germany has a great chance to win, just looking at them the last few years. Spain is a huge contender also; hard to say!

Maybe Argentina vs. Germany in the final!

I think Germany has a great chance to win, just looking at them the last few years. Spain is a huge contender also; hard to say!

Maybe Argentina vs. Germany in the final!

Germany will at least make the final four, but they have not been as strong as they were the last few years. They are going through some changes right now with some very young talented players. If they can build on those young players they have a good chance, but it will still be hard to top Spain or Brazil.

My favorite for a final would be a Germany vs. England or a Germany vs. Argentina final.

Germany to beat england in the final with a very dubious late goal just to see justice served and stop the english dishing up 1966 every time the world cup is mentioned lol

It'll be interesting to see how many fans make it home! Last I heard, SA isn't the safest place in the world to visit, and that was from a South African!

was talking to a south african friend today and there are at present near riots because the government has done a lot of work to the public transport system and the taxi drivers dont like it according to him there has even been hijacking of busses by armed taxi drivers
Just as a side note adam (south african friend )carries a .45 pistol with him whenever he leaves the house

I worked with this guy, he had to go home to SA in a hurry because his mother and step-father were murdered in a burglary, both shot dead.

While he and his brother were sorting out the family affairs, he found a letter addressed to him at his parents farm, it was an old bank statement. He had a bank account he'd forgotton about, with about €800 in it. He went to the local bank and cashed it in and closed the account... he got mugged walkng back to his car! Some bloke pulled a gun on him and stuck it in his mouth knocking a tooth out, he just handed it over. He said 'you can't take a chance with these f*ckers bru'.

While they were clearing stuff out of a shed one day, they heard a loud explosion, they saw smoke rising in the air in the direction of the main road. They hopped in their dads pick-up and headed down the lane to the road, as they came over the crest of a hill, they saw an armoured car on its side on the road, on fire. There was 3 bmw's surrounding it and 8 men with AK-47's shooting at it. One of them spoted the pick-up and opened fire at them! They reversed back behind the crest of the hill to get away. The cops arrived minutes later, but the hijackers were gone, empty handed, the 2 men in the armoured car died. (This incident was reported on the SA news websites)

All this happened in one week, in some remote backwater!! Imagine what it'll be like with thousands of rich foreigners decsending on the South African cities.

Well here are the latest scores from qualifications today:

Saudi Arabia 2:2 Bahrain
Cameroon 2:1 Gabon
Spain 3:0 Estonia
Moldova 1:1 Greece
Latvia 2:2 Switzerland
Israel 7:0 Luxembour
Hungary 0:1 Portugal
Germany 4:0 Azerbaijan
Romania 1:1 Austria
Albania 1:1 Denmark
Bosnia-Herzegovina 1:1 Turkey
Belarus 0:0 Ukraine
England 5:1 Croatia
Andorra 1:3 Kazakhstan
Northern Ireland 0:2 Slovakia
Wales 1:3 Russia
Liechtenstein 1:1 Finland
Malta 0:1 Sweden Sweden
Czech Republic 7:0 San Marino
Faroe Islands 2:1 Lithuania
Bolivia 1:3 Ecuador

After these games here is the updated qualification lists:

South Africa (Host)
Australia
Japan
South Korea
North Korea
Netherlands
Brazil
Ghana
Bahrain
England

Teams that will most likely qualify (I guess you could say these are my predictions of who the rest of the teams will be, it will be updated as they qualify or don't qualify):

Côte d'Ivoire
Algeria
Nigeria
Tunisia
Denmark
Switzerland
Greece
Germany
Russia
Slovakia
Spain
France