30 Years of Airframes' Models

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
As a few of you have asked to see some more of my models, I've decided to start posting some as of now. All of these have been built between 1978 and present day, being the only ones that have survived house moves, marriages, or being given away to museums etc.
There will be more, when I've cleaned and repaired some, and should total somewhere in the region of 36 plus models; all that I now have!
My most recent disaster was when a book on the Focke Wulf 190 slipped sideways off a shelf, and landed squarely on top of a 1/32nd scale P47D 'Razorback' on the shelf adjacent; could this be the last ever victory of a FW190 over a P47?!!
Anyway, I'll start with a Spitfire. This is a 1986 conversion from the Hasegawa 1/32nd scale MkV into a LF MkIXb. I found out too late that it should really be a LF IXc in the 'MK' serial range, but never mind. The conversion was done by 'scratch', using Milliput to mould the new nose, casting a new prop blade in resin, and making the radiators from balsa and plastic card. There are still a few things I could do to improve it, and it's not fully 'sorted' yet; needs a new pitot, and the ejector pin marks need to be removed from the cockpit entrance flap. The seat harness is home made, and the code letters hand-painted. No aftermarket products were used. The wing roundels have cracked over time, but, I hope you like it.

Attachments

• Gallery models 001.jpg
    Gallery models 001.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 135
  • Gallery models 002.jpg
    Gallery models 002.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 138
  • Gallery models 003.jpg
    Gallery models 003.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 142
  • Gallery models 004.jpg
    Gallery models 004.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 143
  • Gallery models 005.jpg
    Gallery models 005.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 140
  • Gallery models 018.jpg
    Gallery models 018.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 145
  • Gallery models 015.jpg
    Gallery models 015.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 144
  • Gallery models 008.jpg
    Gallery models 008.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 128
Really nice! Wish I still had mine from the past 30 years instead of only since 1999. Ahhhh, the memories.

Nice job Terry but if I may ask a favor of ya?can you post in order of building?Like you I have lost quite a few a/c but it's always interesting see how one's talents have developed.Trust me I have an old Hase 1/32 Oscar that is natrosis :oops: but I keep it anyway.Kevin

Thanks very much indeed guys, glad you like it so far.
Javlin, I'll try to do as you ask, but most of the surviving models are in need of repair, and it's a case of do what I can, when I can! As for skills developing, I'm sure they degraded, mainly due to Rheumatoid Arthritis for the past ten years or so!
Anyway, here's another one to be going on with. This is the P47 that was destroyed by the book on the Focke Wulf 190!
I've done some cleaning and running repairs, but it still needs some work to replace broken and missing bits, and tidy up the ravages of the years. The whole undercarriage, plus many other bits, were wrecked when the Focke book fell on it!
This is the Revell 1/32nd scale P47 'Razorback' Thunderbolt, finished as the P47D of Lt. Don Gentile, of the 4th Fighter Group, Debden, UK, circa August 1943. The decals are a mix of kit and Microscale, and the red outline to the 'Stars and Bars' was hand painted. The wheels were 'packed out' with discs of plastic card, in an effort to improve the kits weedy items, then coated in Milliput. The gunsight mounting tubes and sight were sctratch-built, as was the armoured glass internal screen and seat harness. The model was brush-painted overall, using Xtracolour gloss enamels, and finished in matt varnish again brushed on. The model was built in 1991, and shows its age by the yellowing of the white-finished areas, especially the code letter decals.
I'll repair and post another model soon. Thanks for viewing, and I hope you like them.

Attachments

• Gallery models 028.jpg
    Gallery models 028.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 131
  • Gallery models 026.jpg
    Gallery models 026.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 126
  • Gallery models 022.jpg
    Gallery models 022.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 125
  • Gallery models 023.jpg
    Gallery models 023.jpg