30 Years of Airframes' Models

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Now that Lucky's gone back to work (Work? Ha Ha!), I'll get back to the thread!
For those of you who haven't seen the rest of this thread, or are new to the forum, I'll briefly explain what this is all about!
I first started to attempt 'serious' modelling at the age of ten or so, back in 1962, when I decided to try to 'convert' a trio of Airfix Spitfire IX's to look like MkI's from the Battle of Britain! Why? Because, at the time, there wasn't a kit available of the MkI, and I wanted a 'section' representing 72 Squadron!
So now, some 46 and a bit years later, I'm still 'seriously attempting', with varied and sometimes dubious success. Unfortunately, most of my models have either been given away, donated to museums, or lost (i.e. destroyed!) in house moves over the years, with the exception of those shown in this thread, the oldest surviving one dating from 1978. Many of the models have been built to act as 'models', subjects for my aviation paintings and, in recent years, the quality and presentation has started to fall short, due to the ever worsening effects of Rheumatoid Arthritis, a ba*st**d of a disease!
Anyway, enough of the flannel!
The next pair are both 1/32nd scale, the first built in 1991, a Spitfire MkIa of 609 (West Riding) Squadron, Aux. Air Force, based at Middle Wallop, in September 1940. The original aircraft survived, and is on display in the Imperial War Museum, London. The model is a conversion from the Hasegawa MkVb kit, which was fairly straightforward, entailing the removal of the upper and lower cannon blisters, re-shaping of the oil cooler, and re-scribing the gun access hatches and so on. There were a couple of things to do in the cockpit, including scrapping the undercart selector box, and fabricating the original hand-pump lever. This particulat model suffered the effects of 'dust flak', and needed a 'jolly good clean', plus replacement of broken bits, such as the radio mast, antenna and IFF wires and so on. I have still got to improve the cockpit entrance flap, and mould a correct, flat-sided canopy. The model was brush-painted, including the code letters, and the serial number was made with 'Letraset' rub-down letters. The roundels etc are from the kit decal sheet. Sorry, but I couldn't get any better shots, as I'm using a digital compact camera at the moment, which doesn't allow much in the way of depth of field.
The second model is more recent, being built for a magazine article, in 2007, and only finished about last May, when I made the diorama base for it! Due to the number of photographs, I've split this one between here and the following post.
The kit is the rather controversial 1/32nd scale Dragon P51D Mustang, finished as the mount of Maj. George Cueleers, of the 364th Fighter Group, Honington, Suffolk, in August 1944.
There are a number of scratch-built items in the cockpit area, most of which can't be seen due to K14 gun sight, plus other items that weren't included in the kit, the pitot head being an example, and the upper feed door of the gun bay being another. (The kit had this moulded as part of the wing, without internal detail.) The model was finished with various mixes of Humbrol metalic enamels, which were both brushed on and airbrushed, using the technique described in my 'Bare Metal...' thread elsewhere in these 'pages', and the code letters, tail disc, nose stripes and I.D. bands were hand-painted.

Attachments

• Gallery models 109.jpg
    Gallery models 109.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 41
  • Gallery models 111.jpg
    Gallery models 111.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 41
  • Gallery models 114.jpg
    Gallery models 114.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 52
  • Gallery models 116.jpg
    Gallery models 116.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 46
  • Gallery models 133.jpg
    Gallery models 133.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 40
  • Gallery models 136.jpg
    Gallery models 136.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 35
  • Gallery models 134.jpg
    Gallery models 134.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 59
  • Gallery models 135.jpg
    Gallery models 135.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 40
  • Gallery models 126.jpg
    Gallery models 126.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 40
  • Gallery models 132.jpg
    Gallery models 132.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 49
  • Gallery models 138.jpg
    Gallery models 138.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 41
Carrying on with the Mustang. A few more shots, showing some of the detail items, and the diorama base, with the converted 1/32nd scale Airfix German Infantry figures, some bits and pieces, and scratch-built 'Trolley Ac' starter trolley, ammo boxes etc.
This diorama, and its build, will be featured in Part Two of the Diorama Guide, which I hope to have ready soon.
I'll post pics of some more models in the very near future; meanwhile, I hope you like what you see, and thanks for your interest and kind comments to date.
Terry.

Attachments

• Gallery models 149.jpg
    Gallery models 149.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 41
  • Gallery models 148.jpg
    Gallery models 148.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 36
  • Gallery models 141.jpg
    Gallery models 141.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 41
  • Gallery models 140.jpg
    Gallery models 140.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 41
  • Gallery models 139.jpg
    Gallery models 139.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 40
  • Gallery models 150.jpg
    Gallery models 150.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 42
  • Gallery models 153.jpg
    Gallery models 153.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 52
  • Gallery models 154.jpg
    Gallery models 154.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 41
  • Gallery models 156.jpg
    Gallery models 156.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 37
  • Gallery models 158.jpg
    Gallery models 158.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 43
  • Gallery models 159.jpg
    Gallery models 159.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 37
Brilliant. And I don't care what anybody says, the Spitfire Mk I is THE most beautiful Spit. Love your diorama, Airframes. Just love it. Your invasion stripes look spot on too.

Thanks very much indeed chaps, glad you like them!
Screaming, if you mean the 1/48th scale Bf109E 'White 4', I didn't use a brush. I did a sort of 'dry brush' technique, but used the tip of a cotton bud instead of a paint brush. You just touch the end with the paint, then press it lightly into a piece of paper, twisting the tip around to get rid of most of the paint. Then, gently press onto the model, and carefully give it a slight twist. When all the painted mottle is dry, if required, you can diffuse it ever so slightly, by only-just dry-brushing the base colour (in this case Blue RLM65) over the top. This 'softens' any hard edges, and blends in the 'spots' a bit. Once it's had a coat of gloss, then semi-matt, the whole lot tones down and blends in nicely. It can also be done with a fine brush, using thinned paint, and literally painting soft-edged spots for every 'spot' of mottle, using a stoking motion, a bit like sketching with a pencil, then doing the diffusing. But, as you can imagine, this takes a LOT of time, but is OK on a 1/72nd scale fighter-sized model, as the area obviously isn't as big.
The only reason I did it that way on the '109 was because my fine-tip airbrush was knackered at the time!

I'm loving that dio Terry! Makes me want to get that half finished ICM P-51 out of the bottom drawer and finish it. Lovely spit too! 8)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back