A little trip to the snow

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

evangilder

"Shooter"
Sep 17, 2004
Moorpark, CA
www.vg-photo.com
We spent the last four days in Mammoth Lakes, California to let our daughter see the snow for the first time. The first few days were unseasonably mild, with temps in the high 40s, even low 50s. Yesterday morning, in came a storm, with some amazing winds and some fresh powder for the skiers. Of course, I dragged the camera along. ;)

Here are some shots from the trip.

Attachments

• DSC_5421.jpg
    DSC_5421.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 127
  • DSC_5489.jpg
    DSC_5489.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 125
  • DSC_5509.jpg
    DSC_5509.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 123
  • DSC_5524.jpg
    DSC_5524.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 111
  • DSC_5527.jpg
    DSC_5527.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 117
  • DSC_5613.jpg
    DSC_5613.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 117
  • DSC_5596.jpg
    DSC_5596.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 122
  • DSC_5551.jpg
    DSC_5551.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 136
  • DSC_5535.jpg
    DSC_5535.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 121
Eric make sure you guys go back to see the winters end in March/April. sometimes it's pretty lame at Mammoth and the rest of the Sierras other times it is unreal lasting well into July of course the ever present Sierra mosquito is about in droves

thank for bringing back some memories of old, my folks had a cabin up at June lake before the place grew up

Thanks Aaron. Erich, the missus and I have been going up there since we were dating, so I know the time frame you are talking about. Sometimes beautiful, sometime still in thaw. Now that we have the kids, we don't get up there as much, but still love it there. Of course, the town was packed with the skiers and snow boarders, so there was quite a crowd.

Eric make sure when the kids are older you take them into the backcountry - Minarets in July/August for a few hikes, devils postpile, etc. you found the interior of the little berg of Mammoth a zoo I suppose ? When the snow is good the place is crazy as you said with skiers, summer full of mtn bkers and crazy tourist's

Yes, I plan on getting the kids to those places and Bodie, Benton Crossing, the upper lakes, etc. We'll fish, hike, explore and maybe even do a little gold panning. My wife and I are ghost town nuts, so we go off the beaten path to find old places. Kind of fun, although sometimes nothing more than a pile of old lumber and nails.

We like the area around June as well. My in-laws have a house in Mammoth that they bought a few years ago. They had a condo near the Vons shopping center for about 20 years.

Thanks! I have been doing a bit more experimenting with the camera, trying to squeeze as much as I can out of it. The D80 is a challenging pain in the butt with the metering system on it, but I think I have finally tamed the beast, for now.

I have been blessed with a couple of photogenic kids, which makes taking their photos an easier task. Getting out as a family was something we haven't done in a while and it sure was needed.

Eric I remember the early jaunts into the whites across the border as a little kid. happy home was just above Bishop at lake Sabrina and North lake and above..............

As for Mosquitos they are far worse in Orygun than in Cali but must say one of my last trips into Mosquito flat-well you can figure that out, it was a biting hell hole. the worst Mossies were up in Alaska those things were as big as your hand, in fact they are noted as the state bird.

E ~

Users who are viewing this thread

Back