A Model from Russia... Mi - 28 Havoc.. by popular demand.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Gads, its been so busy lately, I hardly have time to think straight. I filled in several spots that didn't align right or had a noticiable gap. Will use acetone as was suggested to me earlier to clean up the excess. Then comes more fileing and sanding. :) Should have more pix by this weekend. Hazza!

Finally, a moment to build something. Ok... so for the weekend I cleaned up the edges and gaps around the fuselage and built the engines. I also put on an initial coat of paint using Q-tips as part of an experiment. I must report the the Q-tips worked pretty good. I think I went through a dozen though. The effect surprised me somewhat. As I rolled on the paint, those panel lines that I had to cut into this bird came out dark and clear. The color went on evenly and dried faster than I expected.

Well here I go. I have an inital paint job mostly to find the uneven areas and get an idea on how it might look. I went with tape for masking the windows. The engines are attached as well as the tail rotor blades. I wanted to paint them later. The color I had to mix myself using what I had. Kind of the poor mans modeling techniques. The panel lines just showed up. I didn't paint any of them. My roller (Q-tip) just skipped over them and the color just made them stand out. I'll do a little more sanding along some of the seems to even all the surfaces. I'm finding it difficult to find close up pictures of this bird. Well...so far so good. :)

Attachments

• HPIM2342.JPG
    HPIM2342.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 95
  • HPIM2343.JPG
    HPIM2343.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 83
  • HPIM2344.JPG
    HPIM2344.JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 88
  • HPIM2345.JPG
    HPIM2345.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
It's a sand color and at the moment just an undercoat until I put a lighter sand and brown over it. It's the lighting that makes it look pink. The same could be said about some desert cammo uniforms I've seen. :)

You can not trust the directions to be accurate. The directions list incorrect part numbers and the part tree doesn't list the correct part numbers either. Looking for part 41 and find there are two part 14's. :( Fortunately I know what to look for but it is quite obvious quality was not a part of the planning for this kit. :/

:| I was able to get a little futher on this. Added a few more parts and painted over the canopy. Still need to clean up the lines around the windows but over all ... not too bad. The directions for the paint scheme are backwards. Painting light color where the dark should go and vise versa. I also noticed that there are additions to the helicopter that the cover painting shows but are not present in the kit. :?: For laughs I thought I would use some of the paint that comes with the kit. Noticed immediately that it ate through the regular enamel paint rather quickly. :shock: No harm done. My wife thinks this bird looks great. She has never seen a model anything until only just last year when I built the widow. When its done it already has a home in her work cubicle. Can't say I didn't give her anything :). Memo to me...Memo to me, should I ever attempt a Russian kit again remember to use have more photos handy. I'm having a hard time finding any close detailed pictures of this thing so I'm kind of winging it. I'll try to improve its looks sometime during the week. I don't like how the brown cammo turned out and I want the panel lines to show a little better.:( Still its the experience that counts right. :)

Attachments

• HPIM2349.JPG
    HPIM2349.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 118
  • HPIM2350.JPG
    HPIM2350.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 136
  • HPIM2347.JPG
    HPIM2347.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 121
  • HPIM2348.JPG
    HPIM2348.JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 142
  • HPIM2346.JPG
    HPIM2346.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 144
This week I've built the rocket pods and the forward scanner. I've also completed the main rotor blades and main wheels. I will be improving the cammo pattern tonight and hopefully start adding decals. With any luck I should finish this model by this weekend. Thanks all who have visited this post. I 'll have more photos up soon. :)

Home computer had to be rebuilt. Still I was able to do more work on this bird. Rocket pods and tubes are done and I've repainted most of the cammo. I've also cleaned up the windows a bit. Will try to post something tonight.

Tried to load these last night with no success. :mad: So here I am at work with a little time to load these latest photos. Picture 2 shows the main rotor. You can see the wash plate and the cap on the end. The wash plate moves so it can be glued to the fuselage and allow the main rotor to turn when pushed. The IR camera mounted just above the gun as well as the gun itself also moves. I used a pen to add the dark around the windows which came out pretty good. It gave it definition and cleaned up the lines. I think I will touch the cammo up just a little more before I add varnish and external decals. Once the decals are on I can add the external pylons and mount the missile racks. This has taken longer than I wanted it to but the time has allowed me to learn some new things and experiment with different methods of painting. :)

Attachments

• Helicopter 001.jpg
    Helicopter 001.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 111
  • Helicopter 003.jpg
    Helicopter 003.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 112
  • Helicopter 004.jpg
    Helicopter 004.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 102
  • Helicopter 005.jpg
    Helicopter 005.jpg