A "true" group build? What's your thought? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Capt. Vick

Staff
Mod
Jul 23, 2008
Long Island, New York
When I first heard the term "Group Build" I thought it meant a bunch of guys working together to build one model, not every modeler working on their own model as defined by a specific time period, type or what have you. With a little thought on my part I guess it should have hit me that perhaps my original definition was a bit impractical. Especially considering the international make-up of the forum.

But on second thought, is it impractical? Sub-contracting has long been a part of actual aircraft manufacturing, almost since its inception. Why can't the same be done with model aircraft?

My suggestion for a future "true" group build is this:

1) Participants can be grouped together locally (at least in the same country) to save on shipping.
2) The model used should be of the highest quality (to avoid as much as possible fit problems and minimize putty use at component attachment), but also be affordable as well as widely available.
3) The number of participants could vary by component break-down. Fighters could have a minimum of two (one building and painting the fuselage and the other the wings/tail plane and landing gear) up to X (with each modeler choosing one of the following: fuselage, wings, landing gear, final painting – with all supplied sub-assemblies primed upon delivery) Bombers could have a minimum of three (one building and painting the fuselage, one the engines and the other the wings/tail plane and landing gear) up to however many and with whatever parts break-down. As we know under wartime emergencies components were delivered pre-painted for final assembly.
4) I propose that modelers also be group by ability (say beginner to experten, with any number of levels in between) for the simple reason of aesthetics. After all money is being spent here and one would be more apt to be happy with and display a model that was built with the same care that one would build their own. However it would also be interesting if modelers of different ability were deliberately mixed and matched. This would closely mirror real life as some sub-contractors (companies) have better reputations then others and deliver better product. How a team would deal with the final assembly in this case might be interesting.
5) Ideally each participant in a group would buy the agreed upon kit and build their chosen subassembly and perhaps the ones contained in each of the other participants kits. That's in a perfect world. As a cheaper way of participating in the experiment, buy one agreed upon kit and divvy out the parts based on who is assembling what.
6) Wining "manufactures" could be judged in each skill level.

Please give your feedback and any additions/changes to the suggestions above. I have deliberately kept the framework vague in the hope that everyone might have a say.

Just like real sub-contracting, the Devil would be in the logistics.

Regards, Capt. Vick

Do you mean of creating a mass production line for aircraft? Lets say 4 people in a group. Each person purchase the same model. One person does the sub-assemblies for all 4 models so each person has a copy of the group plane?

I would suggest picking up one plane for the group and mailing the sub-assemblies out to sub contractors. The sub contractor can mailed the sub-assemblies back to the contactor for final assembly and painting. This would be cheaper than buying 3 or 4 models of the same plane.

Sounds like fun. Anyone else interested?

DBII

I was thinking along DB's line of thought.

Group participants by local - those of us in the Norteast or Aussie land.

See if all have the same model.

One person produces one section.

Mailed to one for final assembly.

possible?

Yes! Yes! Yes! An aircraft production line. Nice to take the ball and run with it. Very possible in my opinion. I only suggested everyone get the same kit so everyone would have something at the end instead of just one.

Interesting idea but I don't think I'd participate personally.

Now if everyone in a group build had the same model to produce and we progress together, offering tips and support, that might be something I could get into.

It has potential and could be a logistics nightmare, but I feel that each participant should have a complete kit and each individual ending up doing a final assembly and bodywork painting, just like in the real world, Airbus assembly being a good example. I take it that it would be restricted to an out of the box assembly.
:hotsun: :hotsun:

I like CR's idea...everyone get the same kit, or atleast same aircraft type, and see what range of schemes and markings we can get out of it. (Most of us seem to have atleast one Spitfire for example...)

Me too.... Not all that interested in the shipping pieces around Build, but doin the exact same kit, or the specific type of plane would be great for a couple Future Builds...

Sooner or later we're gonna have to set up a new Poll for the next 2 years worth of Builds...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back