A word to forum members: Patience.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ive been talking to Chris about this very issue, because i thought I might be one of the culprits. Turns out not (a big relief).

I am the last person to start to preach or sermonise. Ive had my share of stouches, and warnings, but i can say that I also have a deal of respect in this place. i follow some pretty simple rules (not always successfully). Play the ball, not the man. Keep the issue in sight. Often there are no right answers. this is a discussion forum so people are entitleed to their opinions, but standards of common decency should be observed. Sad to say, but many of the hotheads are young, and fairly inexperienced at life, though they are more expereienced than us old guys on the web. Many of the old guys speak from experience (including military service), or from loved ones that fought in WWII, so the emotions do run deep. We need to respect that.

When you make claims in your discussions that are outside the "norm" you need to expect and tolerate robust criticism. Having good source material is a must in those sorts of discusions. Doesnt stop us from theorizing or opinionizing, but in the end, its up to us to prove our case, not up to us to force people to shut up or just accept what we say.

Amen, Chris and Matt.

I think this forum took a hugh step forward when the Politics thread was removed. I don't know the instances your talking about, and wouldn't wanna know (but can guess). This forum is the best one on the web, bar none! I learn so much from you guys every time I'm on here, thanks to the members. Thanks to the mods for keeping the reigns pulled just tight enough. And a BIG thanks to Horse for giving us clowns a place to play.

:thumbright:

And moderating under the influence is even worse. ;) Many years ago, we had a mod that had a few too many before merging threads, and deleted them instead of merging them. Not a huge loss, and we got a laugh out of it.

While I appreciate the intent of this thread, I must say that I don't think we are as thin-skinned as all that, and can pick and choose which "contributors" to take seriously, and who to just ignore. I take lots of verbal abuse in the real world, and walk away from most of it. Of course, the odd shmuck will keep it up until he gets hurt, but that's the way life goes sometimes.

R Pope, of course we are all thick skinned. You however are missing the point. It isnot about the bame calling per say. It is about the fact that all the bickering takes away from the info being exchanged. When a thread goes from being informative to just two or three members acting like children it no longer becomes informative.

but theres also the people that usually just push their opion right or wrong, with little supporting evidence, thats when I usually just walk away from the thread...I mean its part of forums and we can't really take away from it.

Anyway I joined this forum and was amazed we have so little of it around here, and we never see any "Your model sucks" in the modeling threads, whereas lots of other modeling forums I joined have members that flat out say it to other members, due to jealousy, hatred etc. Were very supporitive of new modelers and help people improve. I mean if we didn't have great people around here I don't think it'd be worth posting.

There are other parts of the forum I don't venture in because I know there will be some arguement over a specific fact, a mispelled date or word can trigger off volleys of discussion and be even more cruel than cannon fire.

If people arn't supportive and helpful in the forum I don't know why they want to be around, we should all support and receive it back in turn.

Why can't we just do it like that ? :)

We try.

We all realize its the 'Net and open to everything but this is our playground here and we bring the hammer down when people can't play nice. We really have no tolerance for bickering and name-calling. If anybody doesn't like it, like you said, there are other forums to go to.

Bring facts, fun and respect and you'll have no problem.

Spot on Chris. Literature abounds with the double endendre: Chauser's Canterbury Tales uses quenyte (look it up) in several; Dicken's Oliver Twist has a character named Charley Bates who is always refered to as Master Bates; Ian Flemming had a female character named Pu**y Galore; And the Belamy Brothers have a song If I Told You that You Had A Beautiful Body, Would You Hold It Against Me.
The really funny ones are often in the newpaper headlines
Panda mating fails: veterinarian takes over
Miners refuse to work after death
New obesity study looks for larger test group
Children make nutritious snacks
Criminals get nine months in violin case

Military Intelligence?

And the Belamy Brothers have a song If I Told You that You Had A Beautiful Body, Would You Hold It Against Me.
And she Did!!!!!!!!! I digress.

Military Intelligence is an oxymoron. As in: Friendly fire, isn't; Recoiless rifles, aren't; Suppressive fire, doesn't; Interchangeable parts, aren't

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back