Airfix 1/72 - BF-110C/D - febr. '41 - Oblt. Egmond Prinz Zur Lippe Weissenfeld.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Some minor progress to report on my 110. For a start she can stand on her own legs. A few small bits and pieces have been put in place (loop antenna, exhaust) and I slightly outlined the areas where the exhaust stains need to be. Still need to build them up a bit, but I won't do that until the first flat coats are on.

There still a few stencils on the decal sheet that, that given the black finish, are visible and as such could have been used, but the carrier film on those Airfix decals is so d*mn thick and tough it doesn't look nice with those on. Even trimming the carrier film doesn't take away the thickness of 'em and sealing them up with a good extra gloss coat still leaves them rather visible as a kind of raised 'patch' on the surface, so I fear I'm gonna leave those off as they'll probably ruin the overall result more then add anything to it (I'll keep the super detailing for the Eduard 'G' kit which I hope to start sometime soon). The most important and visible ones are on (the triangles, walkways) and that's about a far as I'm gonna go with the stencils. If you intend to build this I'd say look out for a set of aftermarket stencils of sorts because the Airfix ones are BAD (not to mention the bigger decals which I luckily didn't have to use anyway)

I hope to be able to get some flat coats on this evening, so I'm rather exited to see how that turns out as consecutive gloss and flat coats tend to change to the overall look of the thing quite a bit as one goes along.

Last edited:
With a few new projects already under way I just about forgot about this one. But there were some final things to be taken care of with this build.

Some final decals, flat coats, exhaust stains, glueing small bits and pieces in place....etc. etc.

So, today I managed to wrap this one up. In the end I'm not entirely satisfied with how it turned out, but with enough 110's in various scales still sitting in the stash (and on the workbench) there's enough possibilities to give a 110 another try. Among the things I'm not quite happy about are the hood and the decals (mainly the thick Airfix stencils which in the end did show a few signs of silvering despite all the measures taken to prevent just that. Also the thickness of those Airfix stencils really shows in certain area's, kind of like a 'raised' patch of decal film sitting on the surface.

The hood was a real pain in the a** to mask (I think I'd prefer a 1/48 scale 110 hood for it has a little more room room to 'play' with) and when I removed the masking tape I managed to pull some paint off with it from those tiny strips of canopy framing. I slightly patched it up with some careful paintbrushing, but it still is somewhat ragged in area's.

The last thing is that I had to 'freestyle' a little bit due to a lack of photographic reference material of this a/c. Although based on what other night fighters looked in those days I hope it's a pretty decent impression of what this a/c might have looked like. The only real visibile feature that might be missing is the use of the 'II' next to the England Blitz emblem, indicating an a/c of the II gruppe, but other pics shows this is not always used. I've found pic's of a good many II Gruppe a/c with the 'II' and as much pic's without, so no way to tell if it was used

Well, let's get to the final pics.

Well, that's all folks. My Eduard 110 will most likely be slow going. I want to get it right with that one and since it's not a typical shake bake kit I will need to take my time with it, doing small steps at a time and leave it alone when I don't feel like working on it rather then forcing my way through that build. In addition I've started some preperations for the 1/48 Airfix Seafire F.XVII. Dryfitting shows it will prolly be a fairly straight forward build as far a fit goes.

Last edited:
Thanks guys!

@ Gerry
I'll move into the 'comfort zone' again though with my next build(s) though (the 1/48 Seafire F.XVII and on the side the Eduard BF-110G) Masking canopies this size gives me the creeps (at least for a little while to come )

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread