Airfix Spitfire mk.VIII 1/48th

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Got the first coat of paint on the spit on Sunday. Then touched up the seams with future and talc mix and sanded back then did a second coat. I used a mix of Citadel Bubonic Brown and Tamiya White to get a match for the faded mid stone from my reference pics.
Aircraft042.jpg

Aircraft043.jpg

One wing and part of the fuselage came out a slightly darker tone so I have now toned them down with another coat.
Reference Pics all from Flypast special on the Spitfire
Aircraft045.jpg

Aircraft048.jpg

Aircraft049.jpg

Aircraft046.jpg

I also had a test of a Citadel blue for the underside which will need to be toned down with white to get the right tone for the sky blue
Aircraft044.jpg

Just so I wouldn't rush things on the Spit. build I have been keeping busy with an Airfix 1/72 Yak 9.
Which is awful no detail in the pit just a seat and gaping holes left by the intakes and lots of flash and mold lines
on virtually every part. So I built a very basic firewall/ instrument panel, cockpit floor and aft bulkhead along with closing off the chin intake and belly radiator before closing the fuselage halves, though the best fit I could get left a big step on one side which has been savaged with a file and fine wet and dry. Joined the wing halves and fitted them after a mighty bout of cursing, filing and fettleing. So far the only things that have gone together without too much drama was the tailplane.
Aircraft050.jpg

Aircraft051.jpg

Bubonic Brown:shock: lucky I know what you are talking about...my son is into Warhammer stuff and uses all sorts of wierd and wonderfully named citadel paints....:D

That's nothing Wayne, when compared to a range of tattoo pigments which I use although they are very good but I think they were named by Beavis and Butthead Which makes ordering them over the phone a bit embarrassing. The prime example being Monthly Red :shock:
I did the dark earth camo. last night but forgot my camera :rolleyes: so I'll post pics tomorrow

To do the camo. I first outlined all the shapes with a wash of the dark earth. This was done late one evening and then sprayed on the next which led to a mistake on the tailplane when I sprayed the wrong side of the wash line. Which will be corrected in the next session. I want to tone down the dark earth to achieve the faded look in keeping with the mid stone and tidy up the over-spray from the dark earth. Overall I am quite chuffed with the result as this was the first time in about 15 years I have used an airbrush especially as there were no masks used.
Aircraft057.jpg

Aircraft058.jpg

Aircraft059.jpg

Looking good mate. I've got a spare decal sheet from the ICM kit if you're stuck for markings BTW.

Thanks for the kind offer Terry, I do have the decals that came with the kit so hopefully should be able to use those.

Thank you for your kind comments and encouragement folks.
I have managed to do a bit more tonight a few odds and ends and will have a go at toning down the dark earth tomorrow as well as tidying up a few bits of over spray and get the underside done and maybe even get it futured and decaled

Finally managed to get some work done on the Spit. On Sunday and last night . First sprayed the azure blue for the underside and while that was drying did some brake lines out of 5amp fuse wire. Filled a step between the rear wing fuselage join. Then last night did another coat of the azure blue after making sure I had made a better job of masking than the first time. Then touched up all the over spray on the mid stone and dark earth upper surface camo. toning down the dark earth in the process and finally gave it a coat of Klear ready for decaling
Aircraft067.jpg

Aircraft071.jpg

Aircraft072.jpg

Aircraft073.jpg

Aircraft075.jpg

Aircraft076.jpg

Aircraft077.jpg

Aircraft078.jpg

Aircraft079.jpg

Sure is. Try using the Tamiya masking tape; it's a lot more expensive than normal decorator's masking tape, but allows a very tight seal and fine edge, is low tack, so won't damage the paintwork, and is well worth the extra expense. Most places sell it in 6mm, 10mm and 18mm dispensers, but Model Hobbies now have the 'refills' at half the price - around £2 for a 10mm roll.

It sure is coming along nicely. Lately every time I go to the LHS I pick up the new Airfix Spitfire and debate weather to get it or not. For some reason I keep putting it back but one of these days I'll get it. I look forward to seeing yours when its finished

Users who are viewing this thread

Back