Alfa Romeo 8C 2300 Roadster 1:12 scale

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks a bunch guys. Lots of piping and cable work to show today, I've had to label them, didn't want to overload the old brain cell.

20230719 1.JPG

20230719 2.JPG

20230719 3.JPG

:D

Went out and got me a new set of leads and while I was at it chipped in for spark plugs as well. Did the tappets yesterday but took an age finding my feeler gauges, haven't used them in a couple of decades. Had a bit of blue smoke when I fired her up (no exhaust pipe on that side yet and I was enveloped in the smoke, but then again, what else should I expect), but after an initial couple of shudders, she settled to a nice gentle, satisfying purr but then I shut her down quick as the radiator at this stage had not been securely fitted . Won't get to the brakes until next week Terry, the drums and pads are still sitting in the box.
After all that tuning I turned my attention to the radiator, tension rods and steering. Had to do a bit of adjustment to the rear suspension but it came good in the end.

20230720 1.JPG

20230720 2.JPG

20230720 3.JPG

Thanks for checking in and taking an interest guys, much appreciated. :D

Why, thanks Jess. Have just spent a couple of hours in the cold garage spraying undercoat on all the remaining components. Now I'm trying to warm my fingers up on a cup of nice hot soup. :D

Lovely work on a classic. I had always been tempted by the Airfix supercharged Bentley but resisted.

Don't forget you need the scale size fur coat which drapes over the passenger seat.

Lovely work on a classic. I had always been tempted by the Airfix supercharged Bentley but resisted.

Don't forget you need the scale size fur coat which drapes over the passenger seat.
I did the Airfix Bentley a good while back and can say although it was an interesting kit to put together, it was also a crap kit. The deep or heavy mould, lots of extra plastic to be removed particularly on the wheels and as for the nice shiny bits, I had to scrape every in back to plastic as nothing would dissolve the anodized top cover. The kit was first punched in 1971 and it is my belief that they are still using the same moulds and all they have ever done is make a new picture on the box. I believe it is also made in China.

Here are the pics I posted on another thread back in May 2022.
Bentley 4.5 Litre - Le Mans 1930. 1.JPG

Bentley 4.5 Litre - Le Mans 1930. 2.JPG

Bentley 4.5 Litre - Le Mans 1930. 3.JPG

Bentley 4.5 Litre - Le Mans 1930. 4.JPG

Bentley 4.5 Litre - Le Mans 1930. 5.JPG

Bentley 4.5 Litre - Le Mans 1930. 6.JPG

Bentley 4.5 Litre - Le Mans 1930. 7.JPG

Bentley 4.5 Litre - Le Mans 1930. 8.JPG

Bentley 4.5 Litre - Le Mans 1930. 9.JPG

Excellent job considering the kit and yes it is old.

Hornby, the owners of Airfix and Humbrol had been manufacturing in other countries due mainly to cost.
The Chinese company who were producing the Hornby/Airfix stuff then bought Bachmann, an American
company which put them in direct competition with Hornby.

This wasn't acceptable to Hornby at all and it cost them a lot to cancel the contracts. It also took a lot
longer than it should have to get their moulds back.

I don't know where it all goes from there but Hornby have made other purchases such as LCD Group
(Oxford die cast - makers of die cast collectibles sold into most major markets) and a quarter share in
Warlord Games. If all goes well they will have a few more strings to play with and be able to keep the
Airfix brand viable - and hopefully updated.

I did the Airfix Bentley a good while back and can say although it was an interesting kit to put together, it was also a crap kit. The deep or heavy mould, lots of extra plastic to be removed particularly on the wheels and as for the nice shiny bits, I had to scrape every in back to plastic as nothing would dissolve the anodized top cover. The kit was first punched in 1971 and it is my belief that they are still using the same moulds and all they have ever done is make a new picture on the box. I believe it is also made in China.

Here are the pics I posted on another thread back in May 2022.
View attachment 730947
View attachment 730948
View attachment 730949
View attachment 730950
View attachment 730951
View attachment 730952
View attachment 730953
View attachment 730954
View attachment 730955
Absolutely gorgeous!

Users who are viewing this thread