An Old Temple in my Neighbourhood

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Congrats, Wayne !
Your daughter would have made many young Japanese friends through Pokemon Go ! :)
Good luck to her :thumbleft:

We had Bon Week for prayer as Buddhists last week but I had very few chances to take pictures as the weather was too hot to walk around.

As my apology, please let me introduce a fire of miracle which was lit by the atomic bomb in Hiroshima 71 years ago.
At the time, an IJA sergeant collected this fire into his pocket heater in the city to mourn his uncle who died there.
He brought it back to his home in Fukuoka Prefecture of Kyusyu and the fire still keeps burning.
People call it "Fire for Peace".

Fire_of_A-bomb.JPG

More pictures if interested

Last edited:
Thanks Wojtek and MM for informative :)

As long as I know, this fire has been shared with NHK Hiroshima and Ueno Tosyogu Temple in Tokyo to display.
A topic for Bon season.

Last edited:
Thanks Wayne too !
Here is a footage that could have been introduced in the U.S. 11 years ago.

"Demo Reel (GATE -A True Story featuring Martin Sheen)
Japanese Zen Monks guard the "Atomic Flame" still burning 60 years after the atomic bomb was dropped on Hiroshima. A mission to return the flame to the point of its inception is revealed. Against all odds and in a race against time, they cross deserts and mountains on foot in order to close the circle of death and destruction left open for 60 years. "

View: http://www.imdb.com/video/user/vi2063314201/imdb/embed?autoplay=false&width=640

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks MM and Old Wizard for your kind comments !

As a historical record,
Former IJA sergeant Tatsuo Yamamoto (1916-2004) collected the pilot fire which was to be known as "Atomic Flame" later at the destroyed underground book shelter because his uncle, Yasuke Yamamoto (1889-1945) was managing a book store "Kinsyoudo" there. The address is confirmed as 5-9 Hondori, Naka-ku, Hiroshima City 730-0035 today. The store was rebuit on the same location by his family in the postwar but has been closed in 2011.

Kinshodo_Hiroshima_2001.JPG
Kinshodo_Hiroshima_map.JPG
Kinshodo_Hiroshima_prewar.JPG
Tatsuo Yamamoto_01.JPG
Tatsuo Yamamoto_02.JPG
Tatsuo Yamamoto_03.JPG
Tatsuo Yamamoto_04.JPG

Last edited:
Sorry again but as a historical record,
A pocket heater - kiribai (paulownia ash) type
Burns a kneaded and dried stick of charcoal powder and paulownia ash.
Sold 16 sticks in a box.
Burns for 8 hours a stick in size of 10mm x 90mm.

thumb6.jpg
thumb7.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back