An Old Temple in my Neighbourhood

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Shinpachi

Lieutenant Colonel
Feb 17, 2008
Osaka
I have found out a dragon ball of legend!

01.jpg

Your quick comments are also awesome, GG and vB:shock:
Thanks!

This is the central part of the temple namely - Shitennouji - meaning Temple of Four Kings.
Built in A.D.593. The oldest national temple in Japan.

The construction style is said having influences of Greece, India, China and Korea - they had been mixed in the east-end of Asia.

02.jpg

Last edited:
I just love the clean and simple lines of Oriental sculpture and architecture, nice photos mate.

:hotsun: :hotsun:

With Vic... my own stye is completely different (closer to impressionism), but I love the Oriental and Asian art forms - clean, precise, and detailed without looking cluttered...perfect.

Thanks for your appreciation, Vic Balshaw, A4K and Gnomey.
This was a rare opportunity for me, too, to appreciate the temple again.
More shots for you.

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

With Vic... my own stye is completely different (closer to impressionism), but I love the Oriental and Asian art forms - clean, precise, and detailed without looking cluttered...perfect.

I totally agree with Evan, especially the watercolor art. Very talented culture. Impressive.

Beautiful, Shinpachi.

I love the way that oven in the middle of the big cities, there are these beautiful temples. Sort of like a little oasis of tranquility among all of the chaos.

Thanks Njaco, gumbyk.

Yes, it is a small oasis in the city. I frankly wanted smoking with a cup of coffee there.

Attached photo shows a statue of Goddess of Mercy.
No photo was permitted inside, I tried a shot from outside of the building, through the glass plate.

07.jpg

Excellent shots Shinpachi!:thumbright: Gorgeous scenery, the castle is beautiful, and I like the sculpture in the first photo.Very detailed and I'm kind of partial to dragons.:) Wow!! Great last shot with the reflection in the glass. :thumbright:

I am very glad, Aaron, you enjoy my photos so much. Thank you very much!
Here are close-ups.

I think the dragon sculpture was once used as a fountain on the well beside it.
Water would have flown out from its mouth.

08.jpg

09.jpg

You are welcome, Aaron.
Thanks for your comment, GG.

This Shitennouji temple was rebuilt several times after fires, so we can enjoy it in good condition.

The temple was totally rebuilt during 1615-1624 after civil wars but the buildings inside the corridor were burned down again by airraid in March, 1945 and rebuilt in October, 1963.

There is another brother temple - Horyuji - in Nara prefecture, next to Osaka. It was built six years later(A.D.599) but never met any fire luckyly. It is the best national treasure now but, regretly, not allowed to repaint like Shitennouji because it is regarded as the oldest wooden building in the world.

A photo of the Horyuji is attached for comparison from other source in below.
It has been overhauled several times since its built, of course.
Thanks.

Attachments

• DSC_3478.jpg
    DSC_3478.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 367

Users who are viewing this thread

Back