An Old Temple in my Neighbourhood

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Wildcat!

10.jpg

Great photos, Shinpachi! I am curious about the vivid colors used in the "Temple of the Four Kings" since the colors of the brother temple, Horyuji, is more subdued earth tones. Or at least the shots from the outside are.
Was the choice of color for the columns, windows and other structures of the temples related to the diety(ies) they honored...or could it be more a reflection of the local culture?

This may be a rather obscure question, but I always dig your "lessons" of Japanese culture. :)
Regards,
Derek

Last edited:
Beautiful shots of that Temple, and the added comments about the structure and contents really add to the post. Many thanks for taking the time to share your heritage with us.

Hi Shinpachi,

This may be a dumb question but do people touch the dragon's head for luck? The head seems very shiny and worn compared to the rest of the statue. I only ask because I once saw a similar effect in Verona where there is a bronze statue of Shakespeare's Juliet - her right breast is shiny because people touch it in hopes of receiving some good luck.

2673307-Statue_of_Juliet-Verona.jpg

Kind regards,
Mark

Thank you very much for enjoying my photos, v2, mudpuppy, Geedee, GG, buffnut453 and Lucky13.
I am glad to have so many comments. Yes, please try to visit Japan once.

And, yes, the visitors touch the dragon head and the ball wishing happiness and prosperity.
It is interesting for me to know the same manner for the Juliet statue, buffnut453:)

Your question is very academic, mudpuppy.
The basic paint for the Japanese temples or shrines are always red, green and white. I think its origin was in India or China though I do not know the relationship with the deities. Interesting to me, I find not a few 'no-paint' finish from the beginning. I believe it could have been a Japanese way when the old Japanese found another beauty in the wooden structure.

About ten years ago, a local sculptor of Buddhist image refused to paint his artwork of wooden Buddha statue.
He displayed his work of no paint in a colorfully painted new temple. It was totally mismatch:)

My photos will continue.
Thanks!

Last edited:
You are welcome, Derek!

Attached image shows the no-paint finish from the beginning.
I think this style of no-paint became popular after the 17th century when Confucianism was introduced because it emphasized simplicity and economy. This may be good for a Samurai residence but I wonder for a temple. It looks too simple for me to worship Buddha.

14.jpg

Residents in the temple.
From old times, the turtle and the crane are symbols of the long life.
But no one try to touch its head to shine as the turtle may be so ferocious as to bite.

21.jpg

More excellent shots Shinpachi. And I'm with you on being amazed at the detail that they accomplished with primitive tools. Most of what they accomplished had more detail then than what they can do now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back