An Old Temple in my Neighbourhood

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

December 23rd is Emperor Akihito's 85th birthday.
This will be the last birthday for him as Emperor because he is to resign in next April.

On this date 70 years ago, Hideki Tojo and other 6 were executed as Class-A war criminals in the Sugamo Prison in Tokyo.
We should remember that Akihito had no responsibilities about the war but was remrked in the history with this date.
I wish his longer life with his family afer the retirement.

DSC00333.JPG

Last edited:
There is a gently sloped road on the top of this stairs which leads to the old temple in my neighborhood.
Once upon a time, the road was originally flat at the same level as the ground in front because there was a steep slope to the left.

People slipped down the slope with the wagons frequently and some died.
143 years ago, a monk stood up and the slope was destroyed. Instead, this long and gentle slope was formed.
I used to complain this long slope till I knew this history but now appreciate the monk.

DSC_4422.JPG

The steep slope was called "Osaka" and is said the origin of Osaka which means a big slope.
We still call this slope Osaka.

Yesterday, we had the New Year Free Market in the temple.
A chance to miss the old days.
Thanks.

DSC_4376.JPG
DSC_4381.JPG
DSC_4395.JPG
DSC_4396.JPG
DSC_4398.JPG

A group of Korean tourists visited the temple to pay respects this morning.

DSC_2930s.JPG

But the tour guide seemed to have forgot the small shrine on the right which was dedicated to an ancient Korean carpenter Mr. Ban. I was going to tell it to them but gave up because it was not my job. Mr. Ban became Japanese citizen later like other many Koreans in this area. One of my friends was also called Ban but he was a bank clerk.

DSC_2938s.JPG

Excellent Pics...
that rather Tall building in the back ground is very familiar...Abeno Harukas tallest building in Osaka.
a great view of Osaka in all directions can be had from there.....and i'm pretty sure my wife and I visited that temple as well courtesy of a great tourguide, Shinpachi.
Hope you are well my friend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back