Ar 240 in progress

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

That paint scheme with the yellow tips/band sounds much like the HS 129 anti-tank setup sounds real feasible/possible seeing that most of the use was the Eastern front.The scheme maybe..........

Attachments

• ar240-5.gif
    ar240-5.gif
    10.7 KB · Views: 135
Terry not that I have never looked at your 109(sig) but how much TAPE does one need to hold one together?:p

Thanks muller! I spent a lot of time on that pit. :D

And thanks to everyone else as well. :D

That paint scheme with the yellow tips/band sounds much like the HS 129 anti-tank setup sounds real feasible/possible seeing that most of the use was the Eastern front.The scheme maybe..........

That GL+QB is exactly one of the two schemes I was contemplating. The other one is marked as t5+YP.

Revell provides two color schemes:

One scheme appears to be a RLM 74 / 75? / 76 scheme, the RLM 75 isn't a definite call though.
The second scheme is RLM 70 / ? / 76 based scheme and the second color could be either RLM 02 or RLM 71 but neither one is an obvious match.

I'll probably err on the side of caution and use the 74/75/76 scheme and the yellow tips and bands to be as close to what might be expected as possible. :D

Last edited:
While I was waiting for some of the joints to dry on the HS 123 and SM 82 and some paint to dry on the HS 126, I managed to get a little more work done on this bird.

She's all closed up and nearly ready for the final camo work to begin. Canopies are masked and ready to be glued on. I also replaced the gun barrels with some hollow hypodermic tubing. :)

Attachments

• IMG_0193v2.JPG
    IMG_0193v2.JPG
    159.2 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_0193v3.JPG
    IMG_0193v3.JPG
    19.4 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Great work so far

i am very curious how you will manage that not so easy painting scheme. This will be beauty at the end.

Best regards

Real nice work there Dwight. Looking forward to more, as I know very little about this bird. Correction - I know sod all about this bird!!
Kevin, just noticed your post re the tape on the '109 in my siggy. It was the 21st Century kit, and the tape across the wings is holding them to set dihedral, as there was virtually none in the kit parts - had to 'build it in' and wait until it set.

Real nice work there Dwight. Looking forward to more, as I know very little about this bird. Correction - I know sod all about this bird!!
Kevin, just noticed your post re the tape on the '109 in my siggy. It was the 21st Century kit, and the tape across the wings is holding them to set dihedral, as there was virtually none in the kit parts - had to 'build it in' and wait until it set.

Thanks VB, Terry and djos. :)

History on the plane is a bit sketchy, but the original blueprints for project E-240 were submitted to the RLM at the end of 1938. In 1939 Arado was issued a contract for 3 prototypes. At the same time, work on the ME 210 was underway, and the Ar 240 and Me 210 were designed for the same roles - a twin-engine multi-role heavy fighter aircraft

Even before the first 240-v1 prototype was finished, the contract was increased to 10 prototypes including a heavy fighter, night fighter version and a light bomber version and an undetermined number of pre-production aircraft.

From the beginning, the aircraft had problems with engine overheating and the remotely controlled defensive armament. In addition, the aircraft was unstable about all three axes (!) which required a lengthening of the fuselage.

In late 1941, many of the technical problems had been resolved and the Ar 240 was ready for production. Further delays ( can't find out exactly WHAT these were) continued however and in November of 1942, the RLM cancelled the project. Existing aircraft were then turned over to various Luftwaffe units.

The Ar 240 employed many technical advances from Arado research - including the remote control barbettes, self-sealing fuel cells, and the "Arado travelling flap" which offered excellent low-speed lift performance.

Last edited:
With Daniel and Jan...great work mate!

How did you find working the Airwaves etch set?

Thanks Evan, Dan, Wayne, Jan and Andy . :)

Evan, the Airwaves PE set is actually pretty nice and well worth getting. It just needs to be airbrushed is all. The front and side instrument panels are nicely detailed (for 1/72). The only thing I thought was a bit lacking were the seat belts - the shoulder harness straps were okay but the waist belts weren't nearly as nice as the Eduard offerings.

There are several PE parts that allow you to really dress up the canopy and display it in an open position IF you are brave enough to tackle slicing the kit canopy open with three cuts (two crossways and one lengthwise). There are a number of PE parts for the canopy hinges and the frame that are really, really well done. Since I already had one broken canopy in the A-02 and C-02 kits, I wasn't about to risk busting the other - which is a shame because this was just screaming for an open cockpit.

Last edited:
Thanks mate, just ordered an airwaves set for the Hampden, so was curious...Shame about needing to airbrush them though - I don't have one! :)
I'll experiment on the frame first with a coat of Gunze Mr. Metal primer (or whatever it's called) followed by Humbrol enamel...hope it works out!

Thanks mate, just ordered an airwaves set for the Hampden, so was curious...Shame about needing to airbrush them though - I don't have one! :)
I'll experiment on the frame first with a coat of Gunze Mr. Metal primer (or whatever it's called) followed by Humbrol enamel...hope it works out!

Brush painting should be fine. I ended up having to brush paint the belts and a couple of other small bits and it seemed to work just fine. Everything else was airbrushed.

Last edited:
You can find a wealth of information about the Arado Ar 240 (including photos) in the book "Messerschmitt Bf110/Me210/Me410" by Heinz Mankau and Peter Petrick, it being a rival design to the Mtt aircraft.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back