Thanks Cory, yours is coming on apace I see.
My sleep pattern is up the spout again, so I've done the first stage of the upper-surface camouflage colours.
The demarcation between upper and lower surfaces was masked with Tamiya tape with the exception of the vertical sweeps up to the wings and tailplanes, more to give a guide line really, as the colours on Avenger II's were 'soft edged'. Tape was also applied to the underside wing to fuselage and tailplane to fuselage joints, to prevent the possibility of overspray, then the entire uppersurfaces were sprayed in 'Sea Gray', the 'equivalent colour' for FAA Dark Slate Grey. This was mixed using Humbrol Matt Grey 27, with a spot of Matt White and a touch of Matt Dark Green 30.
The colour was built up gradually, starting with a fine mist overall, and gradually getting heavier, especially on the vertical surfaces of the fuselage and fin, and those areas that would be in shadow. The rudder, with the section from the area that will be level with the tailplane, to the base, already sprayed in Sky Gray, was painted separately.
The PICS show the paint still drying, and hopefully it will eventually display a slightly uneven, patchy finish. Once the second colour has been applied, in a similar fashion, the patchy effect will be enhanced slightly, to provide the basis for a weathered and faded look, before doing the panel lines, and any post-shading that might be felt neccessary.
The model has now been set aside to dry thoroughly before the next colour is applied, and meanwhile, work will continue on detailing the turret, landing gear and bomb load.
Progress seems to be rapid, but I've estimated that approximately 75 to 80 hours have been spent so far, with a lot more time yet to be dedicated to weathering, decalling and detail work.
Thanks again for your interest, and if anyone is considering this kit, from either source, I can thoroughly reccommend it; the fine detail is possibly the best I've seen on any kit I've ever built, especially the surface detail.