DONE: Avenger I 832 Sqd FAA, HMS Begum Group Build (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Sounds good mate! I know the feeling when you tell someone what to get lady da and they turn up with something completly different ...swear words are the result!

With the Hellcat conversion to a -5N ,I'm aussming you'll need one of those dome radar things coming out of the wings? also assuming you've got one going spare? if not your welcome to the one from my Corsair kit if its suitable

Thanks Dan, but I'm good in regards to that. I think I have 4 of those sitting around! You were a great help though, as I completely forgot about them and was thinking about how I was going to rig the one that came with my Avenger.

DSCN0843.jpg

DSCN0843.jpg

DSCN0844.jpg

DSCN0845.jpg

DSCN0846.jpg

Looking great mate. Going to be a nice contrast in the different factory colours between yours and mine. It's a pity we can't get shots of them side-by-side.

Last edited:
Sounds good. Once you've posted your finished model, I'll take some extra shots of mine, and try to match, or adjust the colour balance accordingly. Probably won't be exactly the same lighting effect, but against a plain background, and more or less 'side-by-side', it should work and show the contrast well enough.

Sounds good mate, but do a bit of research first, as the FAA Avengers rarely operated in the torpedo role, and possibly/probably not at all in the PTO. They were mainly used for level and dive bombing attacks, with some ASW use with depth charges. The bombs with the kit are (US) 500 Pound GP bombs, and the Avenger could carry four of these, total bomb load being 2,000 pounds. Most FAA Avenger ops in the PTO were against land targets, in support of U.S. operations.
The torpedo might be good with the Helldiver though (?), if the kit doesn't have one. If you need any HVARS, shout now, and I'll stick 'em in with the radar pod.

You were right I think Terry, I found this!

SB2C-4E_VT-74_CVB-41_1946.jpg

The caption says VT-74 in 1946!

Hmm. Let me see if I can find anything on torpedo ops during the war then. But I'll still send the depth charges with the radar gear, just in case.

Thanks to Terry's great instructions, I managed to get the turret into place without any difficulty at all, it took me maybe 5 minutes. The plane itself should be pretty much done today, as I've painted the canopy, the turret's in, and it's just glass and antennas that has to go on. The only thing I'm waiting on are the black numbers, which I'm going to get today, and I'll take a look at the Seafire while I'm there Terry.

Oh, and one of the roundels on the bottom of the wing came off on my thumb! Thankfully it was all in one pieces and I was able to save it.

Sounds like you're nearly there mate! Glad the photos helped with the turret, and good that you saved the roundel, Get a coat of matt clear over it quick!
Thanks for having a look at that Seafire, if you can find out about new or old mouldings, that'll be great, but don't worry if you can't.

Well, for all intents and purposes, she's done! A few paint touch ups here and there, as you'll be able to see, as well as weathering and the door, which will be put on last as it's going to be posed open. The propeller's already painted black, I just need to do the tips yellow, but I'll do all of that tomorrow! This could quite possibly be my favourite model that I've ever made, it certainly could be my best.

DSCN0853.jpg

DSCN0854.jpg

DSCN0856.jpg

DSCN0857.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back