DONE: Avenger I 832 Sqd FAA, HMS Begum Group Build (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Great work Cory, painting looks good mate!

...if you are getting the bleeding...are you going a little too heavy on the paint and getting too much buildup? Maybe concentrate on light passes and allow a little bit of drying time between passes...

That's the latest style Charles, they are available in Britsh Newspaper edition as well, or just plain brown!
Looks great Cory, and I agree with Wayne regarding the bleeding. It looks like some is at the 'grooves' for the control surfaces, so it's normally better to cut the tape here, and press it down firmly into the goove.
I like the 'theatre' stripes though, they've come out well - starting to come alive now.

Thanks guys!

Great work Cory, painting looks good mate!

...if you are getting the bleeding...are you going a little too heavy on the paint and getting too much buildup? Maybe concentrate on light passes and allow a little bit of drying time between passes...

What happened was Wayne, was that I had to switch to a new bottle of paint. It was BRAND new, and rather thin despite much stirring, so I don't know what that's all about.

So my dad picked up my scratch on letters today. The numbers are ideal, but he got me a serif font for some reason for the letters, so they're next to useless on aircraft. And he only got me white so I don't have any for the serial number. I had some letters already, I only needed numbers, so at least I can do the side numbers. The thought's there, but it'd be nice if I would have been there so I could have told him exactly what I needed (even though he asked yesterday...). Oh well.

Write it down, in big, clear writing, and include an example of style if possible! Happened to me a couple of times, when I was still married. Wifey said she'd get me some Letraset letters and numbers, and came back with loads of great stuff - all too bl**dy big!!

Yeah, I had a couple lying around so it's all good, though I still need to get black ones! This weekend. I forgot to take pictures as I was too busy putting the bomb bay doors on, so I hope that's a good enough excuse!

Sounds good enough to me! Hope the doors went OK. As you know, I had to remove mine, and fit them later, contrary to the instructions. As a result, the join at the hinge line of the folded doors wasn't as good, being a little wider than required, so I had to fill it with PVA and paint it! definitely better to fit the door actuator / hinges later, then fit the doors to them - stops the whole lot flopping about and getting out of line whilst fitting. Does make it a little bit fiddly to get a couple of bombs in though, as pointed out in the instruction (AM ones), but I'm prepared for that. Just about to tackle this stage, and make and fit a bomb winch - I hope!

I also read that Terry, but have rethought my original plans of a diorama using it. I may pop the Torpedo in there, but use the rest for the diorama that I was planning on making with Bunker Hill planes. Now with that Helldiver hopefully coming my way, I'll have all of the 4 planes I wanted to have to set it up! The Hellcat will have to be converted to a F6F-5P or -5N, but that won't be too bad. I also have a large amount of ordinance, I kinda took stock last night, chances are I missed something. I'm sure I have other bombs and such in my spares bag, but this is what I know to have:

4 large bombs from F4Us
4 Smaller bombs from Avenger I
2 smaller bombs from Helldiver
2 Depth Charges from Avenger I
1 Torpedo from Avenger I
2? 4? Bombs from Hellcats
6 Rockets from Hellcats

I'll have to figure out what weight they'd be and such, but I think I'm good! My brother wants to convert his crewmen from the B-29 into pilots, but I'm willing to trade pilots for crewmen, so I should be able to nab some of them.

Sounds good mate, but do a bit of research first, as the FAA Avengers rarely operated in the torpedo role, and possibly/probably not at all in the PTO. They were mainly used for level and dive bombing attacks, with some ASW use with depth charges. The bombs with the kit are (US) 500 Pound GP bombs, and the Avenger could carry four of these, total bomb load being 2,000 pounds. Most FAA Avenger ops in the PTO were against land targets, in support of U.S. operations.
The torpedo might be good with the Helldiver though (?), if the kit doesn't have one. If you need any HVARS, shout now, and I'll stick 'em in with the radar pod.

I have some HVARs that came with my Hellcat, so I'm good there. I have at least 6, possibly 12.

Thanks for the info on the Torps, didn't even think of it.

The Helldiver didn't carry torpedoes, it was the last pure dive bomber in the USN. It comes with bombs so it's no big deal. I do have the Lindberg Avenger (shivers) painted in Bunker Hill colours so the torpedo could work there.

Oops! Forgot the Helldiver didn't carry torps! Should have know really, from it's name! Must admit, I fancied using the torp, on a trolley, with my Avenger, until I read-up on the FAA ops. So, a couple of bombs in the bay, one being loaded in, and another on the little bomb cart. Have to make another little cart for the bomb being loaded too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back