Battle damaged Ju-87 build.... (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The idea of using the aluminium foil sounds good.But you should remember about the difficulty of gluing even with the CA glues.
Sometimes it is better to use a very thin styrene sheet for that..than the foil. Besides the damaged inner structure of a fuselage, wings, rudders etc... can be made of the material aswell and quite easier than using the foil.

I was just thinking of using very thin aluminum foil and coating one side with a spray adheasive. Then apply just over the hole you've already made and pick at the hole again. The thin aluminum would just look like pealed back sheet metal from the frame. Not very large, just the size of the panel you're working on. It's ok though. It was just a thought. I'll try it myself sometime and see if I can find a simple way to do it.

A spray adheasive... I assume it is the same for metal foil covering right? But wouldn't it be cheaper to make the plastic at the hole area thinner and then make it?

I don't know if it is the book that I am reading that is making me loose my communication skills but, I have no clue in hell as to what were talking about :lol: :lol:

Oh wait I get it.... good idea NFN maybe I can try it on a B-17 I have waiting?

Thanks for the ideas, appreciate it!

I've used foil in the past, with varying results, and also very thin aluminium printing plates. But, the best I've found for making really thin panels, apart from the thinnest available plastic sheet, is the coated tissue that covers some decal sheets.
This can be used to replicate thin sheet metal, and is absolutely perfect for simulating torn fabric, such as is found on control surfaces. It can be fixed in place with PVA, liquid poly cement, tube poly cement, CA glue, virtually anything, depending on how smooth and 'flat' you want it. When it's painted, just like aircraft fabric coverings, it goes taut and hard. But, once you make a hole, slash, or whatever, it can be made to look like holed metal, jagged metal, shredded fabric, or just about any other sort of damage.

A spray adheasive... I assume it is the same for metal foil covering right? But wouldn't it be cheaper to make the plastic at the hole area thinner and then make it?

No,... I don't think its the same. I have very very thin foil I collect from candy wrappers. Much thinner than what you would cover food with. Perhaps you are familiar with Russian candy? The waffer kind covered in chocolate. These have an extremely thin aluminum foil covering the candy. It is this kind of foil I'm refering to. For us here in the states, you can usually find this kind of candy at a privately owned European or Polish deli.

I suppose it would be cheaper but plastic doesn't bend or represent a tearing shape like torn aluminum would. Still you are probably better off with the plastic as you suggest Wurger. I will experiment with what I have and share the results when I have a chance. :)

I've used foil in the past, with varying results, and also very thin aluminium printing plates. But, the best I've found for making really thin panels, apart from the thinnest available plastic sheet, is the coated tissue that covers some decal sheets.
This can be used to replicate thin sheet metal, and is absolutely perfect for simulating torn fabric, such as is found on control surfaces. It can be fixed in place with PVA, liquid poly cement, tube poly cement, CA glue, virtually anything, depending on how smooth and 'flat' you want it. When it's painted, just like aircraft fabric coverings, it goes taut and hard. But, once you make a hole, slash, or whatever, it can be made to look like holed metal, jagged metal, shredded fabric, or just about any other sort of damage.

I like this idea. I may try it with a WWI plane I have. I hope I haven't spoiled anything Harrison. Sometimes ideas get carried away. Hope they give you ideas as you work on your model. Great work by the way.

No,... I don't think its the same. I have very very thin foil I collect from candy wrappers. Much thinner than what you would cover food with. Perhaps you are familiar with Russian candy? The waffer kind covered in chocolate. These have an extremely thin aluminum foil covering the candy. It is this kind of foil I'm refering to. For us here in the states, you can usually find this kind of candy at a privately owned European or Polish deli.

I suppose it would be cheaper but plastic doesn't bend or represent a tearing shape like torn aluminum would. Still you are probably better off with the plastic as you suggest Wurger. I will experiment with what I have and share the results when I have a chance. :)

Yes I know the kind of candy.However these are called differently from.
Of course there is nothing wrong with experimenting.It is always a good opportunity of finding new ways for modelling of many things. Also glad you have shared with us the results. This is very useful for all modellers here.That's way I thank you.:D

Ok...still some drying paint but you get the idea...

Attachments

• 102_6117.JPG
    102_6117.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 83
Only wannabe modellers - and the Professor of Plastic Surgery of course - have pristine cutting mats!!
Mine is more paint than mat - but then my hands are disabled. That's my excuse anyway.....

6 hours on the bench.... :(

Okay.....The point of this is NOT historical accuracy rather "damage" and some paint. The dark runny areas is water from the decals. One of the yellow stripe decals was completely off...so I need to use some paint to make it look straight. The bottom decals are COMPLETELY inaccurate... the letters are near the struts. I know there are inaccuracies but, it was a 2.50 kit, what'd you expect??

Attachments

• 102_6120.JPG
    102_6120.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 71
  • 102_6121.JPG
    102_6121.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 72

Users who are viewing this thread

Back