Bellagambi's Bird Hase 1/32

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

One more word about wing fasces.
On ANR aircraft there were both options, parallel wing fasces, like in my G55
DSCN0453-vi.jpg

and symmetrical ones, like in this very nice model done by the Italian modeller and writer Maurizio Di Terlizzi
Me109DiTer-vi.jpg

The first option applied only to Italian built aircraft, so should't apply to 109.
Cheers
Alberto

Not so Alberto, there are at least 2 examples in Camo and Markings of the ANR by D'Amico and Valentini that show 109s with the parallel fasces.:)

Wow,
the matter is getting difficult to handle.
Let me start with the easy one, Kevin's question about the pilot.
I post again the picture, this time with the D'Amico-Valentini stamp, so it can be used without hurting anybody.
Bf109_0giallo_Rosas-vi.jpg

His name very likely is Lieutenant Allessandro Biasi and he was killed in action on 2 January 1945.

About wing fasces and trying to answer to Wayne, I copy here following what Ferdinando D'amico posted in a thread I started on G55 markings etc. (My translation in red between lines)

Posted on April 27, 2009
... mi accingo a riferire un grosso errore relativo alle insegne dei G.55 da noi commesso nella compilazione del libro.
I'm here to talk about a big mistake that we did during the writing of the book.
A dire il vero, l'errore è venuto alla luce in maniera chiara solo dopo la pubblicazione del libro stesso, a seguito del ritrovamento di alcune foto e della pubblicazione di altre, quindi può essere considerato una integrazione/correzione a quanto scritto e rappresentato graficamente.
The mistake was clearly discovered only after the printing of the book when we found new photos and other pictures have been published, therefore it can be considered an integration/correction of what we wrote and graphically displayed.

Si tratta del "verso" dei fasci alari del Fiat G.55.
We are speaking about the orientation of wing fasces on Fiat G.55

Contrariamente a quanto avveniva in ditta nella Macchi, nella Siai-Marchetti e (generalmente) nei reparti operativi, I fasci alari applicati sui G.55 erano di norma rivolti verso sinistra (lama esterna sinistra in alto, lama esterna destra in basso) su entrambe le ali.
Contrary to what was done in house by Macchi, Siai-Marketti and (generally) on the field, wing fasces on G.55 were normally left oriented (left blade facing forward, right blade facing backward) on both wings.
UNQUOTE

Based on the above, as I presume that all Bf109 were delivered directly to units and were repainted on the field, it's very likely that some of them had fasces in one way and some the other way around.
As I previously mentioned, Ferdinando D'Amico posted that no pictures has been found so far of Bellagambi's plane that shows wing upper surfaces, so any decision from Keving will be good.
But I will investigate more and I will let you know if I find something new.
Cheers
Alberto

That was my thinking Albert since no pics I would go the safe route symetrical not really wrong either way but safe.Cheers Kevin

Hi,
further research confirmed that wing fasces could be in both ways. This was because all repainting was done on the field and, apparently, there were no precise rules to follow.
For instance, if we refer to photo 213 on D'Amico-Valentini book where the right arm is pointing downwards, so far no pictures have been found to confirm that on the other wing (left) fasces were oriented in the same way: they could also be reversed.
So Kevin you are OK to go as you like
Alberto

I must amend the above in the sense that further research confirmed that yes they could be in both ways, but the standard one will be approx 95% and the other one only 5%

Last edited:
I appreciate the input and info Wayne and Albert very much I have all the stencils and markings applied now down to the new wurk number.I wanted to ask something else last night when I was finishing but it slips me now .Just poke your head in guys occassionally and I will post the question.Thks ;) Cheers Kevin

Post the question man!:D

Hey Alberto , certainly agree that the majority would most likely be to THE standard, isn't it annoying though that SOME are reversed so we are left with just a little bit of doubt.....:D

Figures...

Great research guys...

Well, I must say that being Italian I feel like a "duty" to help as much as I can, if we speak about Italian subjects.
In this case the aircraft was German but the pilot Italian, one of those that felt that their duty was to try to defend their homes from bombing, often without taking in consideration that they were 10 against 100.
Good or wrong as it was, we tend to defend their individual decisions, while History has already given the verdict on governments we had those days.
Alberto

Some great research and assistance here guys. The picture of the pilot gave nme a bit of a shock - I thought I was looking at a picture of myself when I was around 20 or 21 years of age!!

So I have all the stencils in place only the spinnerl left.The canopy and gear are just sitting and the tailwheel was scratched took only two attempts.The tailwheel was made out of steel rod,aluminum and plastic rod and I do think its real close to the profile?I have canopy,gunsight,exhaust,weathering and areial to complete it shant be to long.Cheers Kevin

Attachments

• Bellagambi 019_edited (900 x 604).jpg
    Bellagambi 019_edited (900 x 604).jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 84
  • Bellagambi 020_edited (900 x 494).jpg
    Bellagambi 020_edited (900 x 494).jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 83

Users who are viewing this thread

Back