Bf 109 D Legion Condor 1:32 scale

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

fam43

Senior Airman
Feb 2, 2009
Southern Germany
Hi folks.
I was at Tankograd since spring and did three tanks. As a proof here they are:

2010tigerii117.jpg

2010tigerii121z.jpg

sooef6.jpg

Now it's high time to to leave the heavy metal fraction and return to the leightweight guys again.
I choose a Bf 109 D of the famous Legion Condor. Eduard will bring a conversion kit for their Emil soon. It will cost around 35,-€! Add 45,-€ for their Emil and you will be in the region of around 80,-€! My God this is a hobby!
No! I still have some Matchbox Emils I bought for around 5,-€ in the late seventys of the last century. This will do it.

First I shortened the engine hood of the Emil and sanded off all bulges from it. All openings were closed.

10 BF 109 B-D-01.JPG

The underside of the hood was made from a surplus old jet engine of the Hasegawa Me 262. The new chin cooler is a simple box of plasticcard.

10 BF 109 B-D-02.JPG

To get a new smaller and round front I used a roadwheel of an old tank which I found in my trashbox.

10 BF 109 B-D-03.JPG

A first test for fitting. More in ths next days.

10 BF 109 B-D-04.JPG

Nice work Michael, I like the King Tigers, with Posrche turret. Are they from Panzer Lehr, in Normandy?
Good work on the Dora too, it should turn out well. I wish Revell would release that old Matchbox kit. I've got an old original I'm building in the BoB GB, and wish I'd bought the other two the guy had at the time !

Hi folks,
thank you for your kind wellcome.
Hi airframes,
this two Kingtigers are very special. Their series numbers ly in the reigion of 1-10. They were intended to be used as heavy radiocontrol command vehicles. This was quickly stopped because of their unreliability and sheer largeness. They were in process of becoming a regular fighting unit, when they were lost by technical problems.
The hole in the turret of No. 11 was made after the crew left it, just to be sure no one was at home.

t25y.jpg

tigerii01.jpg

but back to the flightline. First changes to the Emil wings. A warning. The plastic of the Matchbox is very brittle.

10 BF 109 B-D-05.JPG

Last edited:
Ah, so they were the ones detached to 'Lehr'. I believe they were all lost due to mechanical problems.
Nice job on the wings, and you're right - the plastic is very strange on the old Matchbox kit. It's brittle in parts, some has a strange,'waxy' look, and some is so hard, it's like trying to drill armour plate !

Thank you for the hearty wellcome again guys.

The spinner was derived from the Emil one. I shortened it and filled it completely with a 2 component plasticine you have to knead between your fingers. After thouroughly drying i drilled the openings for the two blade prop. the props of the Emil fortunatly are seperate so it's easy to make a twoblader.

10 BF 109 B-D-06.JPG

Down under:

10 BF 109 B-D-07.JPG

two blow ups:

10 BF 109 B-D-08.JPG

10 BF 109 B-D-09.JPG

Some nice work Mike always liked your surgery's!:) Cheers

Thanks,
Let's see what we have until now. New openings according to the D-version were made into the bonnet. Than I sprayed automotive primer out of a can upon the engine and scribed it a little.

10 BF 109 B-D-10.JPG

10 BF 109 B-D-11.JPG

The exhaust stacks of the D will be attached later. Now they would be an obstacle.

10 BF 109 B-D-12.JPG

The scribing can't be the last word. Wellcome putty!

10 BF 109 B-D-13.JPG

The next 10 days I'm in Berlin Gatow "Open Days" of the " Luftwaffen museum with model fair. So the next pictures have to wait a little. :wave:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back