Big Build - Hawker Hunter.

Discussion in 'Start to Finish Builds' started by Airframes, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Airframes

Airframes Benevolens Magister

Retired
    As the Group Build 'Dora' is finished, and I'm waiting for the next one, a Bf110, to arrive, my fingers were growing itchy, and I couldn't resist making a start on the Revell 1/32nd scale Hawker Hunter!
    It's my intention to build this model of a beautiful aircraft to depict a Hunter F6 of 66 Squadron, R.A.F., based at Acklington, Northumberland, in 1960. As a youngster, these graceful fighters were a common sight to me, when I spent the summer holidays only three miles from the airfield. I was lucky enough to get up close to the Hunters, as a relative was based at Acklington, and have fond memories of watching the aircraft, just off the coast, as they fired their Aden guns at the drogue target towed by a Meteor.
    The only thing I'll need to do to complete the model in 66 Sqn colours, apart from alter the serial number and add a couple of code letters, is to hand-paint the blue and white Squadron markings, which surrounded the fuselage roundels. If for some reason this is not possible, then I have the option of using one of the decal schemes in the kit, for a Hunter based at Middleton St. George, another airfield fairly close to where I lived at the time.
    I've started on the cockpit, and hand-painted the instruments and panel, as well as picking out the various switches etc on the side consoles. A throttle lever, or more correctly, a thrust lever, has been added from stretched sprue, as have a couple of other handles and nobs. The pictures show the parts almost finished, just requiring a little touching up here and there.
    There are parts for two different ejection seats included in the kit, the Martin Baker Type 2H, and the Type 3H.
    Having checked various sources, including the Martin Baker web-site, I discovered that Hunters at that time were equipped with the Type 3H seat, reverting at a later date to the earlier Type 2H. So, armed with the relevant photographs and drawings, I set out to see what I could do to make this prominent part look more authentic.
    The kit parts are really rather good, although the harness is moulded as part of the seat squab and cushion. This was easily removed with a sharp scalpel, and then the main seat parts assembled.
    The next step was to fabricate the combined parachute and seat harness, and this was achieved by using strips of paper, superglued into place, before being cut to length. Some adjusters and fastening lugs were made from thin palstic card, and the circular quick-release box was shaved from a wooden BBQ skewe, and glued to a rectangle of plastic card.
    The parachute ripcord and handle were made from stretched sprue, as were a couple of pieces of pipework for the seat.
    Once the main harness had set, the adjusting straps, fastening lugs, release box and harness adjusters were added, and a pair of leg restraints added, the latter again made from thin strips of paper.
    The photographs show these in place, and the oxygen hose, more 'plumbing' and wiring have yet to be made and fitted.
    I reckon this is going to be a long build, with the cockpit area alone set to take many hours of work to do it justice. I'll bring you some more pics as the build progresses, but for now, I hope you enjoy these.
    Thanks for your interest.
    Terry.

Attached Files:

2. Heinz

Heinz Active Member

Student, Musician, Writer, Thinker, Shelf Stacker...
    Wow looking great Terry.

Wouldn't it be easier to paint the seat and then add the harness already painted though?

3. Airframes

Retired
    Just caught me before I go to bed! Thanks for the compliment, most appreciated!
    Yes Alex, sometimes I do it that way. But, as I thought that there might be a bit of 'fiddling about' to get the harness straps (all 8 of 'em, plus leg restraints!) in the right position and angle, and as I was using Superglue, I decided to fit them first, along with the ripcord, buckles etc. It won't be a major problem to paint, and in fact the paper harness benefits from a coat of the basic seat cushion colour first. This provides a good 'key' for the colours for the straps, and prevents the texture of the paper appearing when dry. By painting after fitting, it ensures there's no damage to the paint from the glue etc.
    Mind you, it is a bit fiddly that way!
    Thanks again.
    Terry.

4. 109ROAMING

109ROAMING Active Member

Looking Sweet Terry!

5. Wildcat

Wildcat Well-Known Member

Workin' for the man....
    Excellent work Terry! Wish I had the same skill and patience you have.

6. Catch22

Catch22 Well-Known Member

Graphic Designer
    Home Page:
    Looks great Terry!

7. Lucky13

Lucky13 Forum Mascot

Nightshift picker
    Home Page:
    Sweeeeet old boy!

8. Wurger

Wurger Siggy Master
    Staff Member Administrator

A retired military Navigator/ATC, FIS controller
    A nice start Terry.A big model a big fun.:D

9. muller

muller Active Member

Wow Terry! You're off to a fine start on this baby, I love the Hunter, it's a beautiful aircraft. :thumbleft:

10. ian lanc

ian lanc Member

un-employed, i'm not bone, just injured my back at work
    I see you got yourself one then Terry 8) Seat looks good i tried paper seat belts and looked a mess so i opted for PE ones as you well know.

Cockpit looking mighty fine.

ian.

11. ian lanc

ian lanc Member

We think the same thoughts Heinzy :shock: i once painted paper seat belts and turned out a right mess, strangely that was on my 1/32 Hunter too :rolleyes:

ian.

12. Screaming Eagle

Screaming Eagle Active Member

Full time apprentice - Boilermaker
    Great start Terry!

13. Geedee

Geedee Well-Known Member

Bl**y hell Terry, you intend to get in and fly it once its finished ?

Me ?, I'm just 'plane' happy if I can get the wings to stay straight when building...read lashing together... a kit !.

Give Rocketeer a shout if you have any questions about the Hunter. He has a fetish...some would say...about Hunters, he owns at least three complete cockpit sections, all fully kitted out !. He has a link to his website...which I'm now in the process of updating for him...that show his cockpits off, including his Hurricane and Seafire, under his signature block

14. Heinz

Heinz Active Member

Does he attend the Cockpitfests Gary?

15. Geedee

Geedee Well-Known Member

Oh yes indeedy, he does...it's his fault I got into the cockpit scene !!!.

We're allready planning and working flat out to get our respective projects in a fit state to show at this years event in June...actually, I've done sod all on my 'Stang for over a year so the pressure is really on now if I'm to take the cockpit tub...lets see...hmmmm...17 weeks to go...oooeeeeerrr !!!

i'd better stop typing and get the blue prints out again

16. Heinz

Heinz Active Member

Get to it man! :lol:

Returning to normal programming, take it away Terry.

17. Airframes

Retired
    Thanks guys, most apreciated. Thanks for the tip-off Gary, I'll have a look at that info, should prove helpful. I used to have access to a Hunter F6 cockpit that was totally complete, but it was sold unfortunately. Maybe it's one of those that Rocketeer has!!
    I've always loved the Hunter, ever since first seeing them at Acklington as a kid, as mentioned. I was once lucky enough to get a ride in a T7, marvellous experience!

18. ian lanc

ian lanc Member

Terry be very Careful when you come to attaching the front undercarriage, i think it tells you to put the strut in when you join the two half's together DON'T ! this can be done when the model is nearly finished.

The front undercarriage is weak !!

Make sure you don't glue you FLAPS, this way you can have them up or down.

Guess what Terry ??? i got another 1/32 Hunter for £4 beat that baby.

ian.

19. Airframes

Retired
    FOUR QUID!! You lucky b........!!
    Yep, I'd already sussed the nose leg and flaps, plus it's mentioned in the reviews/builds of the FGA9, back in 1999. I'll probably add some more detail to the underside of the wing where the flaps sit, and maybe have them in the 'drooped' position, representing bleed off. Haven't decided yet. Been searching my various 'stores locations' for suitable plastic or brass tubing for the shell ejectors etc - I know I've got some somewhere. One of these days I'll get organised!

20. Heinz

Heinz Active Member

Sounds like me, organised chaos!