Big Build - Hawker Hunter. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
As the Group Build 'Dora' is finished, and I'm waiting for the next one, a Bf110, to arrive, my fingers were growing itchy, and I couldn't resist making a start on the Revell 1/32nd scale Hawker Hunter!
It's my intention to build this model of a beautiful aircraft to depict a Hunter F6 of 66 Squadron, R.A.F., based at Acklington, Northumberland, in 1960. As a youngster, these graceful fighters were a common sight to me, when I spent the summer holidays only three miles from the airfield. I was lucky enough to get up close to the Hunters, as a relative was based at Acklington, and have fond memories of watching the aircraft, just off the coast, as they fired their Aden guns at the drogue target towed by a Meteor.
The only thing I'll need to do to complete the model in 66 Sqn colours, apart from alter the serial number and add a couple of code letters, is to hand-paint the blue and white Squadron markings, which surrounded the fuselage roundels. If for some reason this is not possible, then I have the option of using one of the decal schemes in the kit, for a Hunter based at Middleton St. George, another airfield fairly close to where I lived at the time.
I've started on the cockpit, and hand-painted the instruments and panel, as well as picking out the various switches etc on the side consoles. A throttle lever, or more correctly, a thrust lever, has been added from stretched sprue, as have a couple of other handles and nobs. The pictures show the parts almost finished, just requiring a little touching up here and there.
There are parts for two different ejection seats included in the kit, the Martin Baker Type 2H, and the Type 3H.
Having checked various sources, including the Martin Baker web-site, I discovered that Hunters at that time were equipped with the Type 3H seat, reverting at a later date to the earlier Type 2H. So, armed with the relevant photographs and drawings, I set out to see what I could do to make this prominent part look more authentic.
The kit parts are really rather good, although the harness is moulded as part of the seat squab and cushion. This was easily removed with a sharp scalpel, and then the main seat parts assembled.
The next step was to fabricate the combined parachute and seat harness, and this was achieved by using strips of paper, superglued into place, before being cut to length. Some adjusters and fastening lugs were made from thin palstic card, and the circular quick-release box was shaved from a wooden BBQ skewe, and glued to a rectangle of plastic card.
The parachute ripcord and handle were made from stretched sprue, as were a couple of pieces of pipework for the seat.
Once the main harness had set, the adjusting straps, fastening lugs, release box and harness adjusters were added, and a pair of leg restraints added, the latter again made from thin strips of paper.
The photographs show these in place, and the oxygen hose, more 'plumbing' and wiring have yet to be made and fitted.
I reckon this is going to be a long build, with the cockpit area alone set to take many hours of work to do it justice. I'll bring you some more pics as the build progresses, but for now, I hope you enjoy these.
Thanks for your interest.
Terry.

Attachments

• Hunter Build 018.jpg
    Hunter Build 018.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 84
  • Hunter Build 041.jpg
    Hunter Build 041.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 92
  • Hunter Build 002.jpg
    Hunter Build 002.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 89
  • Hunter Build 005.jpg
    Hunter Build 005.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 80
  • Hunter Build 033.jpg
    Hunter Build 033.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 85
  • Hunter Build 037.jpg
    Hunter Build 037.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 92
  • Hunter Build 045.jpg
    Hunter Build 045.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 80
  • Hunter Build 044.jpg
    Hunter Build 044.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 98
  • Hunter Build 046.jpg
    Hunter Build 046.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 84
  • Hunter Build 051.jpg
    Hunter Build 051.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 83
  • Hunter Build 054.jpg
    Hunter Build 054.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 74
Just caught me before I go to bed! Thanks for the compliment, most appreciated!
Yes Alex, sometimes I do it that way. But, as I thought that there might be a bit of 'fiddling about' to get the harness straps (all 8 of 'em, plus leg restraints!) in the right position and angle, and as I was using Superglue, I decided to fit them first, along with the ripcord, buckles etc. It won't be a major problem to paint, and in fact the paper harness benefits from a coat of the basic seat cushion colour first. This provides a good 'key' for the colours for the straps, and prevents the texture of the paper appearing when dry. By painting after fitting, it ensures there's no damage to the paint from the glue etc.
Mind you, it is a bit fiddly that way!
Thanks again.
Terry.

Bl**y hell Terry, you intend to get in and fly it once its finished ?

Me ?, I'm just 'plane' happy if I can get the wings to stay straight when building...read lashing together... a kit !.

Give Rocketeer a shout if you have any questions about the Hunter. He has a fetish...some would say...about Hunters, he owns at least three complete cockpit sections, all fully kitted out !. He has a link to his website...which I'm now in the process of updating for him...that show his cockpits off, including his Hurricane and Seafire, under his signature block

Does he attend the Cockpitfests Gary?

Oh yes indeedy, he does...it's his fault I got into the cockpit scene !!!.

We're allready planning and working flat out to get our respective projects in a fit state to show at this years event in June...actually, I've done sod all on my 'Stang for over a year so the pressure is really on now if I'm to take the cockpit tub...lets see...hmmmm...17 weeks to go...oooeeeeerrr !!!

i'd better stop typing and get the blue prints out again

Thanks guys, most apreciated. Thanks for the tip-off Gary, I'll have a look at that info, should prove helpful. I used to have access to a Hunter F6 cockpit that was totally complete, but it was sold unfortunately. Maybe it's one of those that Rocketeer has!!
I've always loved the Hunter, ever since first seeing them at Acklington as a kid, as mentioned. I was once lucky enough to get a ride in a T7, marvellous experience!

Terry be very Careful when you come to attaching the front undercarriage, i think it tells you to put the strut in when you join the two half's together DON'T ! this can be done when the model is nearly finished.

The front undercarriage is weak !!

Make sure you don't glue you FLAPS, this way you can have them up or down.

Guess what Terry ??? i got another 1/32 Hunter for £4 beat that baby.

ian.

FOUR QUID!! You lucky b........!!
Yep, I'd already sussed the nose leg and flaps, plus it's mentioned in the reviews/builds of the FGA9, back in 1999. I'll probably add some more detail to the underside of the wing where the flaps sit, and maybe have them in the 'drooped' position, representing bleed off. Haven't decided yet. Been searching my various 'stores locations' for suitable plastic or brass tubing for the shell ejectors etc - I know I've got some somewhere. One of these days I'll get organised!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back