BoB Group Build Q and A

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The black 14 was most probably of Erg. Gr. JG54. This Messer was the Jabo variant of bf109E-4.What means it was Bf109E-4/B.Possible she was painted with RLM71/02/65 with yellow engine cowling with mottling of RLM70 covering most of the top cover of the engine as well. Previously the aircraft had belonged to JG1.

Attachments

• Me109E-4.jpg
    Me109E-4.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Oh well he said clearly RLM 70 was mottling and then it sounded like I asked :lol:

So the color reaching up the side is the RLM 65 or 02

Harry the camo scheme was RLM65 on undersides and sides almost up to the fuselage top. If you have a close up look at the top of the fuselage you will notice a darker strip.The strip consists of two tonalities. The first one goes from the cockpit conopy to the German cross.It was the RLM71. Then the strip becomes lighter and runs up to one section of the fuselage behind the cross. It was RLM02. And then it becomes darker again going to the fin.It's RLM71 again.

Just going back to the question on cockpit colours on the Bf109E series. This is normally stated as RLM 02, the 'usual' interior colour for most Luftwaffe aircraft of the period. However, the preserved (flying) example in Canada, which I have interior shots of, and the genuine BoB survivor in the RAF Museum, both show a colour which is neither RLM 02 or RLM 66. This is a grey shade in between both of the above; lighter than RLM66, and not as light, or as green-toned, as RLM02.
As far as I know, the colour inside the RAF Museum example is original, and this matches very well with the tones seen in B&W period pics of the BoB. (and does when compared from a recent B&W photo too.)
Compare the interior colour (in the period pics) with areas of RLM02 visible in the same pics and, even allowing for variations in lighting, the interior still looks a different tone/shade.
I tend to use a mix (for 109Es, and the Ju88 ) which is nearer RLM 75, and add just a touch of green.
Please note that the official colour very well might be RLM 02, but it should also be noted that this colour has been seen in different shades, just as 'allied' colours have, so possibly factory or batch variation, or possibly even a 'grade' of paint.
Bottom line, it's down to the modeller to decide !
Edit: where the h*ll did that stupid smiley come from ?!!

Last edited by a moderator:
OK

So the first picture looks like the RLM 02 Wojtek used on his Me-109

Pic 2: What all the RLM 02 in my paint jars looks like

Pic 3: RLM 75...

SO the 3rd one is what it should be?

Attachments

• RLM 02 Wojtek.jpg
    RLM 02 Wojtek.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 112
  • RLM 02 me.jpg
    RLM 02 me.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 106
  • RLM 75.jpeg
    RLM 75.jpeg
    706 bytes · Views: 106
Difficult to tell from swatches on the screen H, but I'd say in between the last one (RLM 75 ?) and the middle one.
If you look at the RLM 02 used as a camouflage colour, and that used for interior colours, the latter looks a lot more grey. Now this might just be the effect of smaller areas making the paint colour look more concentrated, but there is a difference visually, and allowing for the 'scale effect, this will look even more different on a model.

Here's a question that's been confusing me the last couple of days....

How come that BC isn't included in the BoB? I've always thought that they were involved as much as FC....or am I p*ssing in headwind?

Simple answer is that the Battle of Britain wa just that - a battle to defend the British Isles, mainly the south of England. As such, this fell to Fighter Command to provide the defence, in the form of fighter squadrons to combat the attacking bombers, and attempt to ward off the Luftwaffe fighters defending these bombers.
As Bomber Command were equipped with ...er... bombers, these were of no use in the defence. This Command was, however, engaged in attacking the Channel ports on the French and Belgian coast, where the invasion barges etc were gathering, as well as night (and some daylight) raids deeper into enemy occupied territory, and Germany itself. Although these operations took part during the course of the Battle, they are not, and can not be, considered part of the battle, being a separate campaign which was part of the overall strategic planning (such as it was) of the bombing offensive, which continued throught the war.
As Bomber Command did not take part in the direct actions against the Luftwaffe, over the Channerl and the British Isles, they can not be considered to have been part of the Battle. However, for the purposes of recording the history of the period, the Order of Battle of Bomber Command is normally included in books dealing with the Battle.
A poor comparison could be that the Royal Navy were involved in the Battle of Berlin - they were active at the same time, but not over Berlin !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back