Brain Soup, Anyone?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

sabrina

Airman 1st Class
Think your neighbors are odd? Just live in China for a while. On one of my favorite websites, Weird Asia News, this charming story was unearthed of a concerned mother seeking alternative therapy for her "mentally ill" daughter.

Enjoy.

Man's Head Boiled with the Best of Intentions

If you've ever doubted that mental illness can be passed from parent to child, a woman in China's Sichuan province just proved you wrong.

Who knows where Lin Zongxiu's information came from, but someone, somewhere had informed her that soup made from a man's head was a remedy for psychiatric problems.

Not only did Ms. Lin believe this nugget of folk wisdom, but she decided to put it to the test.

On the one hand, you can't blame her: She was presumably desperate to help her 25-year-old daughter, who had suffered from mental illness for years. On the other hand, well, let's just say you don't pop into your corner grocery and buy a man-head. The implications are obvious.

Lin Zongxiu's and her husband did what they had to do, namely, hire a hitman to "gather ingredients" for the medicinal soup. This consisted chiefly of knocking out a passing 76-year-old drunk and amputating his top bit, that is, the part containing the eyes, ears, nose, and mouth. Into the pot it went, for a thorough cooking (Sichuan style?).

Unfortunately, the couple did not get away with their crime, nor did their employee. The killer was caught and has been sent to jail for the rest of his life, and Ms. Lin will do time for concealing the evidence.

As for the daughter, any benefit she may have gotten from drinking the soup surely went up in smoke when her mother informed her what was in it.

It's enough to drive you crazy.

Weird Asia News was even nice enough to display a suggestive photo of a reddish, chunky soup. Note that the article says, "Ms. Lin will do time for concealing the evidence". Somehow that doesn't sound like she's going to be off the streets for very long, even though she hired a hitman and cooked soup out of someone's brain. I'm glad she thinks her daughter is mentally ill and that her manner of treating it is perfectly sane...check out Weird Asia News, China, Japan, Korea | Offbeat, Strange, Odd, Crazy, Engrish for more tidbits.

It's so hot here that I don't really have much of an appetite...I'll just have a few finger bites, then... :lol:

If that story's true, I'd say that it's pretty amazing what ppl (- like the woman in the story) can be made to believe when it comes to the health of their children...*shakes head*

I like Swedish head too - a little Ciante and fava beans. mmmmmmmmm. I hear they import them to Scotland now!

I was wondering if a red, or a white wine was appropriate with brain soup. Is it eaten with a soup spoon, or chopsticks?

Seriously, that is just crazy! The things people will believe...

I was wondering if a red, or a white wine was appropriate with brain soup

Personally Eric, I prefer a brain-D as an Apairoteeth and a beer with a good head with the main course obviously served by the head waiter :D

Absolutely first class whizo prang dont you know chaps

Last edited:
Personally Eric, I prefer a brain-D as an Apairoteeth and a beer with a good head with the main course obviously served by the head waiter :D

Absolutely first class whizo prang dont you know chaps

:occasion5: Those puns are head of the class! Most people can't brain-dish a rapier wit like that!

Oh dear AF the puns are coming thick and fast I can see this going on fo ages.
I suppose for a change she could have served crispy noddles or nut cutlets or if it was the festive season head nog .
Of coures let us not forget that classic cocktail the manhaton but you have to be carefull as it can go straight to your head
Sorry that was bad even for me

I think we're all too quick to judge. People used to laugh at all the health foods and natural medicines that are now commonly accepted and beneficial. I think the poor girl's just a head of her time...

I think we're all too quick to judge. People used to laugh at all the health foods and natural medicines that are now commonly accepted and beneficial. I think the poor girl's just a head of her time...

rimshot.wav

Thank you, thank you. A4K is here all week!

Seriously, my grandmother whom is one that would be called hard-core southern used to eat scambled pig brains and eggs while I was growing up - which you can still find at the grocery stores here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back