Brett Favre may be coming back to the NFL

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Actually with Aikman, you can use the supporting cast arguement. Look at his statistics and how he played. He was not a great technical QB. He was a great leader and could manage a game well, but he does not deserve to considered one of the best QBs.

Supporting cast argument? Young had the greatest WR in the history of the sport. Think he wore #80. What was his name again?

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think your judgement of Aikman is influenced by your dislike (hatred?) of the Cowboys.

Elway better than Young? No way! If Young had started as many years as Elway his stats would be more comparative. Brady? I seriously doubt that he is technically better than Young. You could argue it though.

Elway took (carried) his team to the Super Bowl five times (lost three to superior teams, including your Niners), 14-7 post season record. Young got there once, 8-6 post season.

I don't base this off of Super Bowl wins.

Well you can't because Young only has one. But with one exception (Dan Marino) I do. Multiple wins (especially three or more) cannot be ignored. I think only six QBs have won three or more championships in the history of the NFL (since 1933).

Young had a strong arm, was the most accurate QB of modern times, and he could scramble. The NFL has not seen a QB that could throw and run since Young until Vick came along.

No doubt about it, Young was a deserving first ballot Hall of Famer. Actually Peyton Manning and Kurt Warner (two future Hall of Famers) have slightly higher completion percentages than Steve Young.

Bottom line for me. The only important QB stat is wins, especially playoffs and championships.

TO

You must be kidding. Young? His supporting cast was every bit as good as Aikman's, but Troy didn't CHOKE when it counted. And to say he is even in the same class as Elway and Brady is a farce. All the statistics in the regular season don't mean diddly. What did he do when it counted?

Supporting cast argument? Young had the greatest WR in the history of the sport. Think he wore #80. What was his name again?

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think your judgement of Aikman is influenced by your dislike (hatred?) of the Cowboys.

Young would have done that without Rice. He had amazing skills.

My hate for Dallas actually has nothing to do with it. I hate the team, but not the players. I have great respect for Emmitt Smith, and I think Aikman was a great QB. I just think that putting him on the list among the greats of all times is pushing it.

ToughOmbre said:
Elway took (carried) his team to the Super Bowl five times (lost three to superior teams, including your Niners), 14-7 post season record. Young got there once, 8-6 post season.

And Marino never won a Super Bowl, yet he is better than both of them. You see you can't use titles to judge skill. Ellway was one on of the all time greatest, no one can deny that. Young still had better skills than him however.

ToughOmbre" said:
No doubt about it, Young was a deserving first ballot Hall of Famer. Actually Peyton Manning and Kurt Warner (two future Hall of Famers) have slightly higher completion percentages than Steve Young.

Lets just make some comparisons between the 4 QB's.

Steve Young
Records:
* Highest Passer Rating, Career - 96.9 [3]
* Most Rushing Touchdowns by a QB, Career - 43 [4]
* Most Passing Titles, Career - 6 (tied w/Sammy Baugh) [5]
* Most Consecutive Passing Titles - 4 (1991-94) [6]
* Most Seasons With a Passer Rating Over 100, Career - 6 (1991-94, 1997-98) [7]
* Most Consecutive Games w/300+ Yards Passing - 6 (Young was the first QB to do this in 1998; Kurt Warner (2000) and Rich Gannon (2002) have since tied the mark) [8]
* One of only 4 QB's to lead the league in touchdown passes 4 times (tied w/Johnny Unitas, Brett Favre, and Len Dawson) [9]
* Most Passes Attempted, Playoff Game - 65 vs. Green Bay, 1995 [10]
* Most TD Passes, Playoff Game - 6 (tied w/Daryle Lamonica) [11]
* Most TD Passes in one Super Bowl - 6 [12]

Honors:
* 7× Pro Bowl selection (1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998)
* 3× First-Team All-Pro selection (1992, 1993, 1994)
* 3× Second-Team All-Pro selection (1995, 1997, 1998)
* 3× Super Bowl champion (XXIII, XXIV, XXIX)(Two Behind Montana)
* Super Bowl XXIX MVP
* 2× NFL MVP (1992, 1994)
* 2× PFWA NFL MVP (1992, 1994)
* 2× NEA NFL MVP (1992, 1994)
* 1992 NFL Offensive Player of the Year
* 2× UPI NFC Player of the Year (1992, 1994)
* 2× Bert Bell Award (1992, 1994)
* 1983 Davey O'Brien Award
* San Francisco 49ers #8 retired
* 2009 NCAA Silver Anniversary Award

Troy Aikman
Records:
* QB Rating: 81.6
* 6× Pro Bowl selection (1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996)
* 1× All-Pro selection (1993)
* 3× Super Bowl champion (XXVII, XXVIII, XXX)
* Super Bowl XXVII MVP
* 1997 Walter Payton Man of the Year
* 1988 Davey O'Brien Award
* Dallas Cowboys Ring of Honor
* Pro Football Hall of Fame (2006 inductee)
* College Football Hall of Fame (2008 inductee)

Kurt Warner
Records:
* QB Rating: 93.8
* Second Highest Completion Percentage, Career (Min. 1500 attempts) - 65.75%[17]
* Highest Average Passing Yards Per Game, Career (Min. 100 games) - 261.2 yards/game[18]
* Most Yards Passing, Super Bowl (Game) - 414 yards vs. Tennessee Titans (only QB to pass for 400+ yards in the Super Bowl; also owns 2nd and 3rd highest yardage total in Super Bowl with 377 against the Pittsburgh Steelers and 365 against the New England Patriots). [19][20]
* Most Yards Passing, Super Bowl (Career) - 1,156 yards.
* Most Yards Passing, Playoffs (Single Season) - 1,147 yards (in 2009).
* Most touchdown passes in a single postseason - 11 (in 2009, tied w/Joe Montana, who did it in 1990)
* Highest Rate of Games w/300+ Yards Passing (Min. 100 games played) - 45.2% (47/104)[21]
* Most Consecutive Games w/300+ Yards Passing - 6 (tied w/ Steve Young and Rich Gannon)[22]
* Most Games with a perfect Passer Rating, Career (regular season only) - 3 (tied w/Peyton Manning and Ben Roethlisberger)[23]
* Only NFL quarterback to throw 40 touchdowns and win a Super Bowl in the same season (1999).

Honors:
* GFC Player of the Year (1993)
* 4× Pro Bowl selection (1999, 2000, 2001, 2008)
* 2× AP NFL MVP (1999, 2001)
* 3× NEA MVP (1999, 2001, 2008)
* PFWA MVP (1999)
* 2× First-team All-Pro (1999, 2001)
* Super Bowl MVP (XXXIV)
* Super Bowl champion (XXXIV)
* Walter Payton Man of the Year Award (2008)

Payton Manning
Records:
QB Rating: 94.7
# Most seasons with at least 4,000 passing yards: 9 (1999–2004, 2006–2008)[161]
# Most consecutive seasons with at least 4,000 passing yards: 6 (1999–2004)[3]
# Most consecutive seasons with at least 25 touchdown passes: 11 (1998–2008; current)[161]
# Most games with a perfect passer rating, career: 4 (includes 1 playoff game)[87]
# Most consecutive games started to open a career by a quarterback (current): 176[162]
# Highest passer rating, season: 121.1 (2004)[163]
# Most consecutive games with at least 2 touchdown passes: 13 (games 1–13, 2004)[164]
# Most consecutive games with at least 4 touchdown passes: 5 (games 7–11, 2004)[163]
# Most games with at least 4 touchdown passes (season, 2004): 6 (tied with 1984 Marino)[163]
# Most games with at least 5 touchdown passes, career: 7 (includes 1 playoff game)[citation needed]
# Highest career TDs/game average for any QB with at least 150 TDs: 1.90 TDs/game[40]
# Highest career completions/game average (min. 100 games played): 21.7[165]
# Most consecutive games with a passer rating over 100: 9 (games 5–13 of 2004 season; record tied by Carson Palmer, 2004–05 and Tom Brady, 2006–07)[166]
# Most seasons with 12+ wins as a starter (regular season only): 7 (1999, 2003–2008)
# Only QB with at least 12 wins as a starter in 6 consecutive seasons (2003–2008)[167]
# First QB to defeat the other 31 teams in the regular season (Tom Brady did this later the same day, and Brett Favre did it the following week)
* Most 300+ yard passing games: 6 (tied with Joe Montana)[169]
* Most 400+ yard passing games: 2 (tied with Dan Marino)[170]
* Most yards passing, 1st half of game: 360 vs. Denver Broncos, 1/9/05[171]
* Led the biggest comeback in conference championship game history (18 pts), 1/21/07 vs. New England[172]
* One of only four QB's to post a perfect 158.3 rating in a game (Don Meredith, Terry Bradshaw, Dave Krieg)[173]
* One of only three QB's to complete 30 or more passes in 2 playoff games (Warren Moon, Tom Brady)
* Most consecutive games with 20+ completions: 7 (tied w/Tom Brady)

Honors:
# NFL MVP (2003 (shared with Steve McNair), 2004, 2008)[74]
# Best NFL Player ESPY Award(2004,[35] 2005[157])
# 9× Pro Bowl Selection (1999–2000, 2002–2008)[40]
# 4× First-team All-Pro (2003, 2004, 2005, 2008)[75][90][97]
# 3× Second-team All-Pro (1999, 2000, 2006)[51][59][110]
# Bert Bell Award (2003, 2004)[158]
# 1998 NFL All-Rookie First Team[40]
# 2004 AFC Offensive Player of the Year[74]
# 2004 Fedex Express Player of the Year[159]
# 2005 Best Record-Breaking Performance ESPY Award[157]
# 2005 Walter Payton Man of the Year Award[158]
# 2005 Byron "Whizzer" White Humanitarian Award[40]
# 2005 Pro Bowl MVP[74]
# 2007 Super Bowl MVP[107]
# 2007 Best Championship Performance ESPY Award

Out of all of them, in my opinion only Manning stands out more than Steve Young. Manning will certainly go down as one of the greatest QBs in NFL history.

If I had to make a list, it would be like this (in no particular order, that is a discussion for a different time, and there are so many variables).

Joe Montana
Steve Young
Dan Marino
John Ellway
Roger Staubach
Peyton Manning
Brett Favre
Sammy Baugh
Y. A. Tittle
Johnny Unitas
Fran Tarkenton
Terry Bradshaw
Tom Brady (possibly depending on what happens in the next few years)
Warren Moon
Bart Starr

And I am sure there are some that I am missing...

No actually I am not kidding. Troy never had the skills to be placed in the same category as the greats. A great player does not have to win titles to be a great athlete. Using your logic, Marino is diddly squat! Doing such a thing is a farce...

Last edited:
Young would have done that without Rice. He had amazing skills.

But he HAD Rice. Saying that he had amazing skills doesn't prove that he would have had the same success without Rice. All the great QBs IMO have amazing skills.

Think we're mostly splitting hairs. Our lists are very similiar. If you talk to a 100 football fans, they would all probably list the same core of greatest QBs with a few differences as we have done.

But as I stated previously, I hold one stat above all the rest when it comes to QBs.....

Winning championships, but that's just me.

TO

Last edited:
No actually I am not kidding? Troy never had the skills to be placed in the same category as the greats. A great player does not have to win titles to be a great athlete. Using your logic, Marino is diddly squat! Doing such a thing is a farce...

Skills? Let us compare playoff records....Aikman is 73% as a playoff starter, Brady is 82%, Terry Bradshaw is 74%, Unitas is 73%, Elway is 67%, Montana is 70%. By comparison, Steve Young is 57%-This puts him in good company with Doug Williams at 57%, Fran Tarkenton at 55%, and Jim Kelly at 53%. Not very stellar company. Your man was simply mediocre when it counted.

I never said that winning titles make a great athlete. But being a great athlete is not enough. Randall Cunningham, Michael Vick, Fran Tarkenton, and Kordell Stewart were ALL better athletes than Brady, Montana, and Unitas; does anybody think they were better quarterbacks? Kordell who?

As to Marino, all I can say is this. Marino got to a Super Bowl in spite of the team around him. Young got there largely because of the team around him. And to state that Young would have been as good without Jerry Rice is just disingenuous. Would Bradshaw been as good w/out Swann? Unitas w/out Ray Berry?

Finally, I saw those NFC championship games against Dallas. Frankly, I was nervous facing the Niners since I had seen Montana regularly tear us apart. But anybody could see that Young was over his head. He played awfully. As a Cowboy fan, I hate to admit it, but Frisco should have won those games in January of 93, and January of 94; they didn't because Dallas had Aikman, and Frisco had Young.

Think we're mostly splitting hairs. Our lists are very similiar. If you talk to a 100 football fans, they would all probably list the same core of greatest QBs with a few differences as we have done.

That you are correct...

No offense, but I think you are looking at through beer goggled eyes (as a Dallas fan, as a Niner fan, I might be doing the same...)....

I would take Young with any team, before I would take Aikman with any team. In my opinion, Young was the overall better QB. A QB is not going to win it all. Rice and Young were not the only players on the team those years.

Last edited:
Just poking some fun y'all Local sports dudes that cover the Vikes say he has not thrown a deep ball in practice yet, but is throwing shorted passes with some zip. Time wil tell if he holds up to more punishement.
If Chillies team doesn't go far this year it will have to be his last as a coach for the queens.

2 year deal baby.. All the vikings needed was a decent Qb and they got it, this time is playoff bound and maybe more. Best running game, two fast receivers, and a d-line that can eat people! Brett has the red in his eyes, he is locked for those Green Bay games, they are going to be sell outs and viewed by almost the entire NFL fan base. Im a phins fan but the vikings are going to be something to keep an eye on..

Most of us are guilty of that.

TO

Exactly, but that is what is great about it. Fans talking **** about their favorite teams and players. As long as it stays fun and not personal, it is okay. Hell I would even drink a beer with a Cowboys fan afterwords...

Was it? I thought it was about the QB's that were better than Favre?

Is there a problem?

Last edited:
Exactly, but that is what is great about it. Fans talking **** about their favorite teams and players. As long as it stays fun and not personal, it is okay. Hell I would even drink a beer with a Cowboys fan afterwords...

Is there a problem?
No, there's no problem... I actually liked reading the posts about what QB's are better than Favre.

Users who are viewing this thread