Brooks' Photos

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

One more critter I found. Forgot to put him in earlier. Sorry.:oops:
IMG_2550 resized 25.jpg

Yeah DB but I really like the effect I got. I know, I'm an idiot:lol:
Nothing idiotic about it, you have an idea of how things should look, and you use your camera to try and capture that idea. If you like the water "frozen" as it cascades, which does look cool by the way, then your photos were dead-on...so again, job well done!

One more critter I found. Forgot to put him in earlier. Sorry.:oops:
Sweet skull! :thumbright:

Must have been quite a bit of green backlighting from the woods. It sure looks like those woods are damp.

I hope you don't mind me trying something out with your photo, Aaron. I adjusted the colors in Photoshop. I increased the Red +2, reduced the Green -40 and increased the Blue +40. And after adjusting the colors, I see that a light tint of green remains on the skull, so it looks like there was a thin layer of moss, or something along those lines, on it.

Attachments

• Aarons_skull.jpg
    Aarons_skull.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 122
Nice work GG.

Good photos Aaron. I would also chime in here on slowing the shutter speed for water shots (I use 1/13 or 1/15 usually). Somewhere in between high shutter speed and the low shutter speeds should give the sense of moving water whilst still freezing certain aspects of the water.

Here are some of my waterfall shots from South Africa, there are examples of both frozen and running water. I don't think I got the exposures quite right on the running water but they came out all right.

Sabie - a set on Flickr

There are also some here, although mostly using frozen water.

Victoria Falls National Park - a set on Flickr

Hi Aaron,

>Surrounding terrain Eric. What causes the camera to pic that up so bad.:dontknow:

I'm not quite sure, but maybe it's the automatic white balance. The EXIF data on your photo says "White Balance 1", which looks like it represents a certain mode - if you are not aware of having ever changed that mode, I'd bet it's "automatic".

Photoshop has a tool for correcting white balance. I'm not sure what it's called in the English version, but it is quite simple to operate - click on an area of the picture that you know should be grey (or white), and the computer will adjust the entire picture.

However ... there seems to be no neutral grey or white in your picture. Graugeist's manual adjustment looks far better than anything I can achieve with the Photoshop tool, so he has proven the superiority of the human mind to computer programming once more! :)

I haven't personally tried it, but the way to get an accurate colour reproduction would be to do the same shot again, but including a so-called grey chart in the picture, which is just a little card coloured in (you guessed) shades of grey. This can be used to calibrate a colour adjustment - if the chart appears neutral grey, the rest of the colours most likely have been accurately adjusted as well.

(Be warned that I haven't actually tried that myself, and that I don't even know if the dumbed-down-but-cheap version of Photoshop I'm using can transfer colour calibrations from one picture to another, but I think the theory at least makes pretty good sense :)

If you can switch off the automatic white balance, that will give you consistent results as it won't change from one picture to the next. There will probably be different options what to set the white balance to, such as sunlight, shade, artificial light and perhaps a specific light temperature. Some cameras are capable of calibrating themselves if you point them at a grey chart in the same light you're going to use for shooting - my brother's Nikon D70 did that, and he said it worked like a charm.

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

The skull is actually all but bleached out. The green back light from the surrounding foliage apparently hammered the photo. I don't have a photoshop type program yet. Would like to figure out how to alleviate the problem when shoot the shot. It's only about 4 or 5 miles from the house. GG what you have done looks really good as far as killing the GREEN hew but the wood and some leaves now look purple. If you drop some red and blue it may bring it in a little better, but that does look loads better. Thank you for the for the the help and brainstorming. I love this. :thumbright:

...WAAAAAAYYYYYY too much horse power and WAAAAAAAAAAY too many pretty women...
Shame on you! You can NEVER have enough of either!!! :lol:

Seriously though, great shots of the cars and gals! Looks like you got busted by the one gal when you grabbed the shot of the chick in the red shirt :thumbright:

Dang man, I posted this just as you posted those landscapes...

WOW...very nice, and you scored a cool barn, way to go! :thumbright:

Is this the same Aaron who posted "KC-135 refueling a C-5 flying southwest along I-81 south of Bristo" a while back ?

Things have certainly moved on since then bro...composure, context, mood (atmospherics !), subject...but thats enough about you :lol:

Seriously tho', you're turning out some d*mn fine shots now, well done and keep 'em coming

Users who are viewing this thread

Back