Coronavirus Thread (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
The BC minister if health yesterday mentioned a 90+ year old man who was in the hospital until discharged yesterday where he is doing well. You think I could find a news bite on this? No way. Let's focus on panic, doom, and gloom.

I was informed at work today that as I am over 60 and diabetic should it get much worse that I am to work from home. I admit to having mixed views on that but at least people are looking ahead and not making knee jerk responses
I've been working from home the last 2 days. Must say I'm much more productive then at the office where there is always someone at my desk to ask for help.

1584048245119.png

A comment on the 3% being inflated by comparing deaths to KNOWN infections: unknown flu infections (mild cases or stubborn old farts) will inflate the "regular" flu death ratio.

Fubar: I hope that's not a Corona in your hand!

...and for some reason, certain people are panicking.

For as up-to-the-minute data as there is, got to the Johns- Hopkins maintained website; Operations Dashboard for ArcGIS

Currently, 127,000+ or 0.0017% of the world's population has been confirmed as infected with COVID-19.
Outside of China/Italy/Iran there have been 285 deaths. There have been 4,700+ total deaths world wide including China/Italy/Iran.
68,000+ have recovered.
The virus seems to have a 2 week incubation period.
The highest risk for dying is for older patients and those with pre-existing underlying medical problems.

For perspective, the CDC says this season there have been at least 34 million influenza illnesses, 350,000+ hospitalizations and 20,000+ deaths from flu.
Only about 40% of the population gets the flu vaccine.
Follow influenza statistics here; Weekly U.S. Influenza Surveillance Report (FluView)

Following this advice can stop the spread of influenza, COVID-19, and many other diseases; https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pdf/freeresources/updated/everyday-preventive-actions-8.5x11.pdf

Be prudent and choose perspective over panic. Bad decisions spring from panic.

For as up-to-the-minute data as there is, got to the Johns- Hopkins maintained website; Operations Dashboard for ArcGIS

Currently, 127,000+ or 0.0017% of the world's population has been confirmed as infected with COVID-19.
Outside of China/Italy/Iran there have been 285 deaths. There have been 4,700+ total deaths world wide including China/Italy/Iran.
68,000+ have recovered.
The virus seems to have a 2 week incubation period.
The highest risk for dying is for older patients and those with pre-existing underlying medical problems.

For perspective, the CDC says this season there have been at least 34 million influenza illnesses, 350,000+ hospitalizations and 20,000+ deaths from flu.
Only about 40% of the population gets the flu vaccine.
Follow influenza statistics here; Weekly U.S. Influenza Surveillance Report (FluView)

Following this advice can stop the spread of influenza, COVID-19, and many other diseases; https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pdf/freeresources/updated/everyday-preventive-actions-8.5x11.pdf

Be prudent and choose perspective over panic. Bad decisions spring from panic.

The US numbers for the coronavirus are false and low due to poor testing. Take the state of Ohio for instance. They announced today thay believe the actual number of infected people in the state to be over 100,000.

Ohio Department of Health believes 100,000 Ohioans are carrying coronavirus

I still think there is no need to panic. Most will get through this just fine, but we Americans are in for a rude awaking with our piss poor health care system, and lack of paid sick time and vacation time. 40% of the US population cannot afford to call out sick. They don't have sick benefits, or live paycheck to paycheck. These people will keep going to work, and keep spreading the virus. Washing hands only goes so far. If you do not limit your social contact, i.e., stay home and away from others you are not containing the virus.

It's time to wake up and smell the coffee.

The US numbers for the coronavirus are false and low due to poor testing. Take the state of Ohio for instance. They announced today thay believe the actual number of infected people in the state to be over 100,000.

Ohio Department of Health believes 100,000 Ohioans are carrying coronavirus

I still think there is no need to panic. Most will get through this just fine, but we Americans are in for a rude awaking with our piss poor health care system, and lack of paid sick time and vacation time. 40% of the US population cannot afford to call out sick. They don't have sick benefits, or live paycheck to paycheck. These people will keep going to work, and keep spreading the virus. Washing hands only goes so far. If you do not limit your social contact, i.e., stay home and away from others you are not containing the virus.

It's time to wake up and smell the coffee.

So, there are more infected; that means the disease is LESS likely to kill you.
Get a grip man!
Be prudent and understand the perspective.
Or, you could cower under your bed, shivering.
Your choice.

So, there are more infected; that means the disease is LESS likely to kill you.
Get a grip man!
Be prudent and understand the perspective.
Or, you could cower under your bed, shivering.
Your choice.

lol

Get a grip? Cower under my bed? Didn't I say we should not panic? Did I say I was panicking?

Learn to read and comprehend a post first, then comment. Capeesh?

Last edited:
The point of my post went right over his head. It had nothing to do with fatality rates. It was about containment, and how we will have a problem with it.

But instead...

Wooosh!

And then he had to spout off like an internet tough guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back