Coronavirus Thread (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
AAC20298-26AC-4697-974B-12270FA1A728.gif

Italy report, 4th October, weekly changes
cases 325,329, +15,459, deaths 35,986 +151, recovered 231,914, +7,497, active cases 57,429, +7,811, tests 11,784,105, +697,041, people tested 7,117,315, +416,883
fatality rate 11.1% (-0.5)
mortality rate 597 per million (+3)
test rate 195.4 per thousand (+11.6)
positive rate 4.6% (=)
test rate this week 11,556 per million (+679)
positive rate this week 3.7% (+0.8)
new case rate this week 256 per million (+62)

What I get from the study is that "experts" still can't accurately decide what will stop the spread. This thing may not go away until there is no one left to infect.

I fundamentally disagree.

The UK got off to a dreadful start when the virus hit losing up to approx. 900 people a day at it's worst. Then they clamped down on movement country wide, now everyone wears masks when in shops or when close to each other. Stringent cleaning processes are in place and according to the independent Johns Hopkins organisation website, yesterday the UK had 19 deaths due to the virus.
There have been a handful of days when no one died in the UK because of the virus and the 19 is the sign of the second wave arriving due to schools and universities reopening. As a result the authorities are introducing targeted restrictions in areas where there are hotspots but outside those areas people can travel at will.

The basics are very simple
a) You can have the virus and be contagious without showing any symptoms
b) The virus is transmitted primarily via droplets in the air. People argue about how far, but no one argues that it isn't airborne
c) Wearing a mask whether or not you have symptoms, massively reduces the amount of contaminated droplets in the air
d) As a result contamination is significantly reduced, reducing the spread

900ish down to 19 is by any standards a massive reduction, in my mind the evidence is unarguable unless anyone has a better explanation for this massive improvement.

I fail to see how anyone finds the above difficult or inconclusive

What I get from the study is that "experts" still can't accurately decide what will stop the spread. This thing may not go away until there is no one left to infect.

One issue is that stopping the spread requires a) long-term immunity and a vaccination of enough of the populace or b) all the susceptible people die. Option a is not certain, as 1) there is some evidence, currently anecdotal[1], that lasting immunity may not occur 2) there is a significant amount of anti-vax idiots[2], which seems to be concentrated in the First World[3] and the more conservative parts of Pakistan and 3) a sufficiently effective vaccine may not be possible. Option b is deprecated on moral grounds.

[1] There have been two cases reported in the non-refereed medical press.

[2] I'm being kind.

[3] Interestingly, refusal to vaccinate in the US tends to be greater in wealthier ZIP codes. This is proof wealth and intelligence are not perfectly correlated[4].

[4] See [2]

I still say, the effect of the mask has never been proven to be that effective. In the mean time you are breathing your own exhaust gasses.

Can I ask which part of the following isn't clear :-

a) You can have the virus and be contagious without showing any symptoms
b) The virus is transmitted primarily via droplets in the air. People argue about how far, but no one argues that it isn't airborne
c) Wearing a mask whether or not you have symptoms (see 'a' above), massively reduces the amount of contaminated droplets in the air
d) As a result contamination is significantly reduced, reducing the spread

Re your comment 'In the mean time you are breathing your own exhaust gasses.'
If you have the virus it doesn't matter if you are breathing your own gasses, because you already have the virus. However if you have the virus, then wearing a mask significantly reduces the chances of you spreading the virus to others.

Remember the UK numbers are massively down from the peak and if you have a better reason for this fall then I would like to hear it, because it wasn't luck.

I still say, the effect of the mask has never been proven to be that effective. In the mean time you are breathing your own exhaust gasses.
Even if the droplets are smaller than the mesh of the mask, some are bound to hang up in the material it is constructed from. And, I'm pretty sure if you ask any Surgeon or Surgical Nurse, the breathing of one's own exhaust gasses is not an issue...

i wear them for 8 hours a day when at work, don't like them but the whole breathing in your exhaust gasses has been proven false, O2 levels don't change with mask on or off.

I'm a bodyman, always in the presence of a lot of dust, or paint overspray.
I wear a mast at least half of every workday, sometimes the whole day.
Been doing this for over 45 years.
I guess it's amazing I've been breathing my own exhaust for that long and still living.

I'm the only 70+ year old bodyman in my area still working, mainly because I wore that stupid little paper mask from day one .

Fact is that there is no proof that the mask does any significant good.
It's not that I have never worn a mask. I've been wearing them for years in the lab and these were not the rubbish people put on their faces nowadays. But I will not start the discussion again. Believe what you want to believe.
Now someone will come up with the "pee in the pants" cartoon...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back