Coronavirus Thread

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well now.......... 97 days till I'm 77, I guess by virus statistics that's about long enough.

I better tap in to that $200 bottle of Bundaburg rum while I can.

I've been reading why this one is so bad because it's an animal virus that has mutated to human to human transfer. The human body cannot recognize the virus and we have no immunity built up to fight it. There are no drugs that have been developed to fight it, as of yet. Isolation is the only fight against it we have at the moment.

BTW, here in Oz, and it is a fact, Asians are going from small town to small town in busses buying up all the commodities they can carry back to the bus then shipping back to their own home countries. Gov't is now posting police in stores. Self check outs and cashiers have put limits of most items that can be bought. Still people go from store to store and buy their limits. Herd mentality!

I don't think you can even freeze eggs right?

You can if you do it correctly - Medium to small eggs, break open the egg and dump into an ice cube tray - remember those from Ye Olde Days of Yore when every refrigerator didn't have an automatic ice cube maker in the freezer. When tray is full put in freezer.
You can freeze milk too as long as the container has those pushed-in divots in the side for expansion

Grocery store I frequent had lots of empty shelves. No oatmeal or peanuts and I got the last pint of half and half cream. No frozen berries for my morning smoothies either.
Today there were no chickens in the supermarket but lots of duck at half price, so slightly more than a chicken in price. Makes no sense at all.

Now we are even importing our viruses from there.
Nothing new about it. China's high population density: Wuhan, the most densely popilated city in central China, e.g. has 11 million residents packed tightly together within the city limits. Sanitation is poor to non-existent. Raw sewage from people and animal flows into the same river that people draw water, bathe, and swim in. The Chinese feel strongly that meat needs to be freshly killed to "taste right" thus the large numbers of "wet markets" where freshly slaughtered mammals, reptiles, fowl, and fish, plus assorted illegal "wild-life" (want peacock tonight honey?) all mix together in the open air market as thousands of humans handle and inspect the carcasses. In addition, for a small fee any of the above critters can be killed and dismembered as you wait. Or if you really want "fresh" the live animal can be purchased on the spot. Sanitation is a bucket of river water thrown over the area every now and them when things get too slippery. The Chinese also tend to turn first to traditional medicines and practicioners who offer herbal, acupuncture, or animal remidies as cures. The infected return to their families spreading the infection. Now add Chinese government secrecy, misinformation, and censorship. Remember January when China announcd that COVID-19 was contained. Chinese doctors who attempted to correct this were arrested by the police (Li Wenliang eventually contracted COVID and died)
Consider that Bats which live in densely populated roost caves are hosts to thousands of viruses. They fly and migrate over large geographic areas. No surprise then that bats were the original mammalian host animal for Ebola, SARS, MERS, and the new CORONA-19. Many birds such as ducks, geese, chickens also roost and feed in densely packed flocks and also fly over large areas, even worldwide. Avian Flu (H5N1) was first discovered in Hong Kong. It has been slow to spread to humans because of the species gap between mammals and fowl. Remember the 2009 Swine Flu Pandemic? Over a billion were infected and over 500,000 died. A variety of the H1N1 virus it transferred from pigs to humans either in China or Central Mexico where again we have humans and domestic pigs living in close association with each other.
Humans and animals living in close association are going to transfer viruses. Have a dog or dogs? Heard of dog Distemper? How about Measles? Did you know that the viruses are almost identical. At some point in the very distant past the canine paramyxoviruses made the jump to humans (and a few other primates)

I was gonna grab some lunch but I guess I'm not so hungry after all.

I'm confused about the Dutch response. My daughter spoke to her friend Ava who, together with husband Sven and two kids, lives on the coast, not very far from Amsterdam (I can't remember the name of the place). Sven was, in Ava's words, 'barking like a seal' with a bad cough, so the entire family was tested. They were all positive, though neither Ava, nor the children had symptoms at the time. Sven has been quite unwell, but is on the road to recovery without anything but time at home, though he was off the lifeboat roster for a while. The other three are, thankfully, fine.
They have not even been told to self isolate.

Self isolation is actually the policy here, so I don't know what happened there. We have many friends in self isolation at the moment just because they have some symptoms of the common cold. None of them have been tested as their illness doesn't seem too severe.

Cheaper than if we made them here.

Until the supply is cut off by something like this or a natural disaster and then you suddenly have to set up the factories and start local production all over again. Local production also reduces unemployment and increase tax revenues but the economists never factor that into their calculations.

Here the government has taken over one of (if not the) last remaining face mask factory and put the military in charge of making the masks. To me leaving the people with years of experience to do the job is going to result in higher output and less machinery failures but military intelligence and its identical twin brother government intelligence has decreed otherwise. The same government intelligence that sells underground water holdings in places like Stanthorp (when they are trucking in water from Brisbane and rationing it to residents) to Chinese companies so they can bottle it and ship to China.

After the virus subsides I bet they sell the mask factory to China.

If brains were gasoline they would not have enough to start a cigarette lighter.

And the Australian government still thinks allowing groups of 100 people is going to stop this virus. Even if you locked the politicians in a room with the report on the city of Vo and the Royal College reports being broadcast non stop they still would not get the message

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread