Coronavirus Thread (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
To put it in context.

1 person with flu infects on average 1.3-1.5 others. After 10 cycles of spread that's 14 people from 1 index case. Now for COVID-19 this is as follows:

1 person infects roughly 3 people and those 3 infect and so for 10 cycles that 1 index case would spread to 59,000 people.

I presume this is why I have heard several people (the ones stood next to Boris Johnson at briefings) talking about quote "reducing social contact by 75%," to bring the spread down to "flu" levels. Not in terms of the disease itself but the maths/statistics of the spread.

Just to put this to bed.

THERE IS NO EFFECTIVE TREATMENT FOR COVID-19 OTHER THAN SUPPORTIVE CARE. THIS IS WHY THE ISOLATION AND LOCKDOWNS ARE HAPPENING.

There have been small scale trials with a variety of agents. These include chloroquine, antivirals, anti-HIV meds and others. All have been less than 50 people with generally poor results and no significant improvement in mortality, length of stay or duration of intubation. We are looking at everything that might help and doing everything to find more effective treatments. There's nothing yet though.

Everyone reacts differently to the virus those that are most unwell suffer due to cytokine storm and the onset of adult respiratory distress syndrome, pulmonary oedema and multi-organ failure. These are the ITU cases with poor prognosis. Initial treatment is oxygen as needed, antibiotics (to cover concurrent and later developing bacterial pneumonia), fluids as needed and help them though. Similar to flu management expert we have antivirals that help with flu.

Symptoms and manner of spread are similar to flu however COVID-19 is 3 times more infectious as 3-10 times more deadly.

To put it in context.

1 person with flu infects on average 1.3-1.5 others. After 10 cycles of spread that's 14 people from 1 index case. Now for COVID-19 this is as follows:

1 person infects roughly 3 people and those 3 infect and so for 10 cycles that 1 index case would spread to 59,000 people.

Just think about that for a minute.

No health system can cope with the numbers if unconfined spread occurs there are just too many that are too unwell and not enough ventilators available. It would be catastrophic. That is why we are trying to flatten the curve so we can cope with the numbers. Thousands (probably hundreds of thousands all told) will die but it would be millions without isolation procedures.

Stay inside, keep your distance and don't listen to hacks on the internet. If you have symptoms isolate, call your GP and go from there. Leave it with the professionals not the toilet paper hoarders.

M michael rauls
This ends here. I will not tolerate the posting of unsubstantiated (and unreferenced) medication advice that may influence others and cause undue harm to others even if unwittingly. Anymore and you can spend some time at the beach thinking it all over.
Well I sincerely apologize if I broke any forum rules of which I was not aware. I would not have persued it if one of the other moderators had not liked my post when I first mentioned it but instead said that discussion of supplements or medicinal properties of food and drink are against forum rules. I always respect the rules" politics, religion, etc.
That's all that was needed.

Dammit! Y'all are right. it is bad. I'm over it already and we haven't even begun the lockdown in New Zealand yet - tonight at midnight. I won't be able to see my daughter, who lives in another town an hour and a half away (Hi Aaron) or my girlfriend, who lives a five minute drive away, ffs! I feel like having a coughing fit...

Being retired,
abandoned every day, my wife still works,
at my bench most every day,
eating occasionaly,
nothing has changed!
Should I feel cheated?

Hey guys,

As an addition to my post#786 which was in answer to TheMadPenguin's post#753, re: "Does anybody know what equipment is "usually all you need" besides a breathing machine?"

A large increase in hospital usage of asthma related drugs to treat cases of COVID-19, most notably in the group known generally as bronchodilators, is creating a shortage of ready-use inhalers in the general market. Note that the drugs used in the inhalers are not in short supply, just the inhaler devices. (An example of the inhalers I am referring to are the small canisters with the bent elbow tube on the end that the asthma sufferer inhales through.)

The shortage of ready-use inhalers, particularly of the Albuterol type, is not critical yet. However, the healthcare system and the manufacturers are developing a "fair share" allocation process based on current need and projected demand.

The manufacturers of the devices are currently ramping up production.

I was referencing other situations like a ketogenic diet for diabetes for example.
Not saying im any medical genius or any smarter than anyone else. Its just ive read alot of literature/ studies that others may not have due to having several chronic conditions that I have been able to cure by the way, Diabetes, high blood pressure and GIRD.

These conditions can be solved or alleviated by good diet and weight loss (not including GRID, which I am not sure is a chronic condition).

The keto diet is a low carb/low energy diet that helps with weight loss.

There are two types of diabetes. The one you are speaking of can be controlled solely by diet in many people. Others may need drugs and a few will require insulin.

Now the other type of diabetes will not be cured by any diet, keto or otherwise. Diet can help in managing the condition, and its many side effects that come with poor control, and reduce the amount of insulin required, but as it stands this type of diabetes is for life.

I couldn't resist this:

Coronavirus may have infected half of UK population — Oxford study

I have resisted the temptation to link to another study showing where Italian hospitals rank in terms of bacterial pneumonia infections in the Europe. Lets just say not very well. It is entirely possible that not all infected patients are dying of COVID-19 in Italy (or elsewhere for that matter, it kills 30,000 in a normal year in the UK). Hospital is the best place to contract it, particularly if you already have other problems, like COVID-19.

I couldn't resist this:

Coronavirus may have infected half of UK population — Oxford study

I have resisted the temptation to link to another study showing where Italian hospitals rank in terms of bacterial pneumonia infections in the Europe. Lets just say not very well. It is entirely possible that not all infected patients are dying of COVID-19 in Italy (or elsewhere for that matter, it kills 30,000 in a normal year in the UK). Hospital is the best place to contract it, particularly if you already have other problems, like COVID-19.

on the Oxford study, the problem are the assumption

link that study on the italian hospitals rank

We're rowing the same boat. Personally I'm glad I don't feel dead!
Uh, dead people don't feel anything -- that said, I think I know what you mean...

Last edited:
Italy report 5 p.m. today
cases 74,386, deaths 7,503, recovered 9,362, tests 324,445
fatality rate 10%
mortality rate 124 per million
tests rate 5.4 per thousand inhabitant

Well I sincerely apologize if I broke any forum rules of which I was not aware. I would not have persued it if one of the other moderators had not liked my post when I first mentioned it but instead said that discussion of supplements or medicinal properties of food and drink are against forum rules. I always respect the rules" politics, religion, etc.
That's all that was needed.
All I'm asking is that false treatment information is not spread we don't need people self medicating on possible treatments that have been popularised that cause harm. By all means discuss them but don't preach them as effective when the data is not there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back