CORSAIR F4U-4; 1/48, Revell

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hello boys, I hope you have started your week and the month of October with all the enthusiasm and full of new things.
:thumbleft:;):thumbright:

The landing light was made with a round metallic piece of some unarmed cell phone. It almost does not distinguish itself in the first photo (it lacked a better focus the shot, but it did not help me the capacity of my cell phone), but it is a piece slightly concave.
The part on the right side is polished and the shine is almost mirror-like (I liked the effect). Then I cleaned again by removing the paint from the place; I mounted the piece and painted the outline with a brush.

367.jpg
368.jpg
369.jpg
370.jpg

In the following sequence I show them the total of the decals and a slight weathering with oil paintings.

In the green and white stripes I used toasted shade, natural shade and a little black. In the blue I used medium yellow, asphalt and some white. Both highly diluted in solvent spirit.
Hardly noticeable, but also has slight details of chipping with watercolor pencils.

371.jpg
372.jpg
373.jpg
374.jpg
375.jpg
376.jpg

I did the weathering and chipping very discreetly, because what I could see in the original photographs of that time, was not much wear and tear and the planes were usually kept clean.

I appreciate your comments, I hope you like it and I do not delay in returning with some more photos.

Saludos :thumbup:

... I´m back...

In this of the fine details, I realized that in the exit of the exhaust pipes, are painted with a matt color, and in these three color photos, I can assume that in the airplanes of the time it would be similar (I dont know if it is a type of "asbestos paint", to resist the fire and heat emanating from those powerful engines ...) :-k

escape1.jpg

escape2.jpg

escape3.jpg

... and so I did with Dark Gray XF-24 from Tamiya

377.jpg
378.jpg
379.jpg

To cover the weathering and decals with a layer of Future and give practically the final finish to the exterior, I covered these exits of the exhaust pipes with liquid mask.

380.jpg
381.jpg
382.jpg

At this moment these light layers of Future are already applied, and I will let it dry until tomorrow. :cheers:

I am seeing photographs with reference to the mark that leave in the side of the fuselage the smoke and heat that comes out of those exhausts.

LnnjxKb.jpg

I believe this photograph corresponds to another training squadron (¿o_O?), those marks of exhausts and weathering are a bit exaggerated (in my humble opinion, ... my TEE is not so choppy !!), but I think that many of you will have a better opinion and if it is possible to someone share some photographs about the marks left by the exhausts located at the bottom of the cowling ... I will thank them (I have not found a good photo) :salute:

Thanking you in advance once again for your help and visits, best regards to all.

Hasta pronto compadritos :thumbup:

Well done Luis, looking sweet and a nice amount of weathering for an operational trainer.

And yes, the aircraft in the photo above is a trainer. Los Alamitos is/was a training base for naval pilots. Also why it is carrying SCAR rockets.

Your bird isn't as beat up as this one so I wouldn't go as heavy with the exhaust stains. Haven't been able to find any pics of the underside of a F4U-4 where you can see exhaust stains against the dark paint. I wouldn't worry though, just imagine where the airflow would go which in this case would be straight back and along the wing roots.

My dear Australian friend, I did not actually mention the SCAR rockets in the photo, but it was my best reference for SCAR.
I appreciate your comment regarding the weathering level. I'll wait and see what it looks like after Future, to decide if I add something else.
I have other pics with prints of exhaust stains; maybe I share them so they can give their opinion.
And with regency to the underside I will follow your advice, in case there is not a photograph that will corroborate it.

Muchas gracias y saludos campeón :thumbup:

Last edited:
Looking good L-C. I'm with Kirby on the stains. One common mistake is to assume that they are black whereas in actual fact they varied in colour form grey to brown to black depending on fuel mixture and presence of oil. The extent of the stains would also depend on frequency of cleaning (probably high in a training squadron) and age of the aircraft.

Really coming together now! I don't have any photos to share of the exhausts but I do know they varied wildly from really heavy and obvious, to not even noticeable.
Good intentions count a lot (for me), and I thank you very much Robert. :thumbright:
I already have a clearer idea of how to do it. 8-[

Looking good L-C. I'm with Kirby on the stains. One common mistake is to assume that they are black whereas in actual fact they varied in colour form grey to brown to black depending on fuel mixture and presence of oil. The extent of the stains would also depend on frequency of cleaning (probably high in a training squadron) and age of the aircraft.
I agree Andy and it is very true that these stains have the many variables that you mention. :!:
I must confess that the first exhaust stains of my aircrafts, I made them in black. :-\"

What I have in mind is to do something moderately "normal" for an airplane of a training base (... and that criterion will be what I happen to do - and what my ability allows me if I do not mistaken in a very noticeable way - lol :laughing3:)

Here are some photos with examples of exhausts stains. I think on a scale of 0 to 10 where 0 is an new aircraft that left the factory and 10 is the "Los Alamitos", I think I will in a 4 or 5.

manchas1.jpg
manchas2.jpg
manchas3.jpg
manchas4.jpg
manchas5.jpg
manchas6.jpg
manchas7.jpg

The new adventure will be done with airbrush and diluted acrylic paints; because in my most recent models I have done with brush, by hand and with diluted oils and mixing colors or in two or three parts with different colors, but by hand. :shock:

It will be a very fun test to continue improving my skills :idea:, in order to continue doing better what is still becoming a very serious therapy!

Pronto con más noticias :thumbup:

... the process to make the anti-skid stripes of the wings ... :rolleyes:

Doing the initial demarcation with tamiya tape, it took me concentration time and patience, to have the same measurements on both wings (well, ... as similar as possible)

384.1.jpg
384.2.jpg

I relied on these internet images:

383.jpg

... and not to take risks with paint sprinkled ... :eek:

384.jpg
385.jpg

These are the Vallejo colors I used and I diluted them with water and some dishwashing detergent.

386.jpg

...the result:

387.jpg
388.jpg

Now, to prepare us mentally so that tomorrow can do my best to those exhausts stains ...:-k

Best regards and until tomorrow (from this side of the world) :thumbup:

Last edited:
Luis, I suggest you practice the technique first on some scrap. What I do is start spraying close behind the stacks and move toward the back quickly while also moving the brush away from the model. This gives the effect of the exhaust diffusing in the air stream. The one below was done in two colours: first I sprayed a dark brown and then black close to the exhausts.

16092312.jpg

What a good job you did, Andy. :thumbleft:

I'm going to take your advice very seriously. I will definitely have to take the time to rehearse and pretend to "tame" the new technique. Take into consideration that I must make a curve stroke (due to the effect caused by the wing); in addition I can distinguish that the end of the mark is smoked (brown / black) and in the middle a color between sand, grey and ash, with details in red brown near the exit of the exhaust.
The more I think about it and imagine it, I agree to do it over a short distance, so I do not risk that I end up traveling a long distance through the fuselage !!

Good thing that at the beginning of this thread, I said that it would be something quick and easy to rest from my Lib and give me a breather!! :crazy:

:hello2::thumbup:

Gracias por la recomendación Andy y por tus palabras Darryl

Yesterday I could not do anything for my TEE, ( now are 2:10 am :coffee: ) and I hope to work on it today.

Cheers :thumbup: :thumbup:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back