Dirk's Airfix Bell P-39Q Aircobra

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

dirkpitt289

Master Sergeant
Jul 16, 2009
South Plainfield New Jersey
White 10 Flown By Capt Pavel Stepanovich Kutakhov

I had started to post this build under the workbench thread but never followed through with it. In light of the current VVS Group Build I felt it would be cool to post the whole thread.

A 1/72 Airfix Airfix Bell P-39Q Aircobra.

The Box Art

IMG_1533.jpg

The Parts

IMG_1534.jpg

Typical Airfix kit with big thick spree connections to the fuselage parts and quite a bit of flash. If this is a rebox of the old kit I can understand but if this is a new kit I'm going to be a bit disappointed. Anyway the build will start shortly.

Thanks for looking

As is also typical with Airfix kits there is virtually no cockpit other then a chair and a pilot. I'm not going to go crazy here but I'm going to make it somewhat better. We'll see how that goes. :whistle:

Using some Evergreen styrene I added the sides to the pilots seat

IMG_1535.jpg

and I added a floor

IMG_1536.jpg

and something that kind of resembles a instrument panel. As we know when its all closed up not much will be seen so why go crazy? :whistle:

IMG_1537.jpg

Adding some color. As these Aircobras were built in the US and sent over to Russia through the Lend Lease program it made sense to paint the interior in American Interior Green.

IMG_1552.jpg

I also added some color to Capt Pavel Stepanovitch Kutakhov

IMG_1553.jpg

IMG_1563.jpg

I was just about to close up the fuselage when i remembered that I needed to add some weight to the nose of this create. My meathood of doing this is simple. I lay a layer of Plumbers putty in the nose and then embed some lead pellets into it. Next I pray it is enough. :pray:

IMG_1564.jpg

IMG_1565.jpg

With the fuselage glued and clamped I turned my attention to the wings. The wings come in three parts, left, right bottom. I dry fitted the right top to the bottom and glued it in place. It was after I had it all clamped that I noticed this.

IMG_1567.jpg

*** is this suppose to be?

IMG_1568.jpg

While I don't have any plans to go wild in the wheel wells this is way to weird to let go as it is so its time to break out more POWER....
The red arrows are pointing out the offending plastic

DoctorBefore.jpg

IMG_1569.jpg

Back in business

IMG_1570.jpg

That wasn't so painful

DoctorAfter.jpg

Looking good so far Dirk. This is a rebox of an old kit, hence lack of detail. The new Airfix kits are of much better detail and quality.
Keep an eye out for the new mould Bf110 which I will entering in the GB shortly.

Thanks guys

IMG_1571.jpg

Test fitting the wings

IMG_1577.jpg

Filler applied to the seams top and bottom. Green putty used on the aft section behind the wings. The easiest way to describe this area of the model is DEPLORABLE! More attention will be payed to this area once the wings are secured in place.

IMG_1578.jpg

Post op wheel wells. Not the best but better then oob.

IMG_1579.jpg

The hold up now is trying to confirm weather or not this create had under wing guns or not? My feeling is this would be easier to fill/ fix with the wings separated from the rest of the aircraft.

IMG_1580.jpg

Here we see the offensive trench that while it would be great for wing mounted machine guns in this case its about as big as a WWI trench. If you look closely you can almost see the troops preparing to make an assault.

IMG_1580-1.jpg

Now in a normal WWII aircraft I would just slab some putty in the gap and sand but this being an aircraft with a tricycle landing gear I don't want to upset the delicate balance of the aircraft. In other words I'm afraid of making it a tail sitter :crying2:

So to hopefully avoid such an embarrassment I set to work cutting out some small strips of Evergreen styrene and fit it into the trenches.

IMG_1591.jpg

IMG_1592.jpg

Two layers did the trick and when glued sat just below the level of the wing.

IMG_1593.jpg

Now I applied some Squadron Green putty.

IMG_1594.jpg

IMG_1596.jpg

Once dry I broke out the Q-tips and acetone. After a couple passes most of the excess putty was gone and the original surface detail remained behind. For those of you who have never use acetone to remove putty beware. If you use to much you can melt the plastic.

IMG_1597.jpg

Some more preliminary sanding was done to the bottom of the Kobra. At this point the wings are ready to join the fuselage.

IMG_1598.jpg

Here the wings are connected and you can see where I used some Mr Surfacer 500 to help finish off the under-wing machine gun trenches.

IMG_1599.jpg

That's all for tonight but tomorrow I need to tackle these gaps. :cry:

IMG_15992.jpg

Till next time thanks for looking

Nice work so far Dirk. This kit dates back to the late 1960s, and was also issued under the Heller label; I think that 'lump' in the wheel wells was probably supposed to support the landing gear/doors if built 'wheels up'.

My goal last night was to fill those large gaps in the bottom of the model where the wigs meet the fuselage. Trying to limit the amount of putty I first filled the gaps with evergreen styrene and glued in place.

Front

IMG_1600.jpg

IMG_1601.jpg

rear

IMG_1602.jpg

IMG_1603.jpg

Next I let it sit and cure. Tonight I'll trim the excess and start the filling.

I know it's not much of an update but it is what it is....

After a little filler and a lot of sanding it's about as good as its going to get. Or better yet as good as I feel this kit is worth. next came the primer and then some pre-shading of the panel lines

the P-39 got a cote of primer

IMG_1632.jpg

IMG_1633.jpg

IMG_1634.jpg

After the primer dried I decided to do a little pre-shading

IMG_1636.jpg

IMG_1637.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back