Disaster

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Clave

Senior Master Sergeant
Jun 15, 2005
Deep in suburban Surrey
Dear ww2aircraft.net forumers

Please note I recently experienced a major computer drive failure.

Nearly all my current work is lost and I am waiting to see if it can be recovered.

I am currently running a 'reserve' drive which has old software installed so will only be able to do a limited amount with it.

You can still contact me, and I will keep you informed as to progress as soon as I can.

Best regards

Bill/Clave

I will buy a new hard disc drive for immediate backup.
Thanks for your information, Clave.
Wish your data recovered soon!

Wife and I almost divorced over a hard drive crash.

Seriously, we didn't, but many tears were shed over the loss of family pics that she felt were priceless. One has to ask themselves, how many backups do I need and are they worth knowing that the media is obsolescent in 5-10yrs.

Rats! Sorry to hear mate! :( Hopefully you'll be able to get everything sorted, with least amount of trouble...

Bad news Bill. If you have problems recovering the data, let me know. A friend and neighbour has a software design business, and can recover using a programme at Police Forensic level.

Years ago I worked in a machine shop in Silicon Valley. One of my jobs was to design a small....... reaaaaaaal small, holder to fit Inside a HD case for thin strips of some king to Degrade. It was to detect what was infecting the HD disc. Turns out the lubricant for the bearing shaft was creating gas inside the case. So HD's are never permanant! They do have a life expectancy. We have an external HD for back up on our main computer. I have a 16GB stick I work off on my laptop, which also has a "D" drive.

Isn't modern day tech just the biz!

Well, things suck right now, but I am keeping my fingers crossed.

I did have a backup drive which was running Time Machine, but it seems incomplete - it's proven to be a nasty catch 22 situation - not the fault of Apple really, but you need OSX 10.6 or higher to make Time Machine work, and the backup drive runs 10.4. I thought it would be pretty simple: just re-install 10.6 from the DVD and start recovery, BUT I didn't know then that my DVD drive had also failed *sigh* so I am in limbo at the moment - it's like a time-warp: everything I have access to is two years old... can't even run the current version of Firefox, nevermind all my graphics software...

The broken drive was collected at lunchtime, so it's definitely fingers crossed time for the next day or so. I have a portable DVD drive on order too, but it's been a while since I earned any money and I really, really need to get things back to normal. :(

Do yourself a favour and buy yourself a NAS with disks in RAID6 and use a backup script to make sure your data is mirrorred to this drive. The RAIS setting will make sure that your data is still all there, even if one of the harddisks fails in the system. These systems are not expensive, you can by them already for 99 euro. Well worth the trouble.

Sorry to hear about your hard drive and the loss of your graphics. I'm quite a fan of your profiles and fantasy what ifs.

Last edited:
Thanks - and thanks for the advice too - I am definitely going to start a new regime when this is over.

Trouble with getting older, time passes too fast and all those good intentions get forgotten and then your backup is 2 years old before you know it... :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back