**** DONE: 1/30 Grumman Hellcat - Carrier Aircraft GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'm sort of hung up on the construction of the wings..... trying to make some supports for custom scratch built landing gear struts, so I decided to mask off the canopy. Also did some sanding on both wings and fuselage to get a good dry fit. The Hellcat is a mid wing monoplane, and sliding the wing into the hole is a chore, if it don't fit right.

Charles

Attachments

• DSC_2557.JPG
    DSC_2557.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 82
  • DSC_2558.JPG
    DSC_2558.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC_2624.JPG
    DSC_2624.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 78
Like the look of it, Charles

Me Too, Karl ! Just finished installing the solid balsa blocks in the wing, to support the gear legs, then covered the entire wing with tissue. It's been sprayed with water and is hanging in the garage. By morning it will be nice and taut. Then I will give it several coats of my 50/50 mix, and try a dry fit. If it looks good I will attach the wing and the tail ass'y, and start painting the whole thing with the 50/50 mix. By late tomorrow (Tues.) it will look like a Hellcat with the gear up.

While I'm waiting I attached the cowl and the stabilizer.

Cheers, Lads....

Charles

Attachments

• DSC_2561.JPG
    DSC_2561.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 72
  • DSC_2562.JPG
    DSC_2562.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Looking good. I can imagine all kinds of challenges with sliding that wing in as if there's any hint of misalignment it'll get magnified quite a bit at the wing tips.

Great stuff Charles. I like the way these kits now have plastic parts, such as engine cowls. The last time I built a balsa model (think I told you about the Tempest), the cowl had to be carved from a block of balsa which had the rough outline in profile only. Methinks the Hellcat kit could be a good one for me to skin, and add detail to, when I eventually get around to doing one.

Mated the rudder and stabilizer to the fuselage, and after careful sanding, slid the wing into the fuselage and glued it by going into the cockpit. After careful measuring, the left wing is one mm off..... aft. It just will not move forward. Oh well, I have to live with that. As promised, here are pic's.

The balsa blocks in the wings, just outboard of the fuselage are to anchor the scratch build gear legs, which are a-building.

Gotta work on the prop, and fiddly little things. Cheers....

Charles

Attachments

• DSC_2626.JPG
    DSC_2626.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 87
  • DSC_2625.JPG
    DSC_2625.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC_2627.JPG
    DSC_2627.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 88
  • DSC_2628.JPG
    DSC_2628.JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 71
  • DSC_2629.JPG
    DSC_2629.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Nice job Charles. I'm thinking that I need to try one of these balsa and tissue planes in the future.

Nice job Charles. I'm thinking that I need to try one of these balsa and tissue planes in the future.

Let me know when you're ready.... I'll help all I can.

Got another coat of the 50/50 mix on today. Going to work on the prop tomorrow., have to carve a three blader.

Charles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back