**** DONE: 1/32 Grumman Wildcat F4F-3 Early – Carrier Aircraft GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Very nice work, look forward to following your progress. One thing, though, and before you get too far along, F4F-3s did not have shoulder belts, only a simple lap belt. Shoulder belts in Wildcats did not come out of the Grumman plant until around July 1942 in F4F-4s.

Even at Midway, the VF-3 and VF-6 F4F-4s had no shoulder belts. The VF-8 F4F-4s had a ship-designed and installed shoulder belt arrangement. My father remarked that he, having flown F4F-3s in VF-42 and F4F-4s in VF-3, with only lap belts, thought the VF-8 field mod was a clever idea when he saw it after flying over from Enterprise, where he had landed on 4 June after Yorktown was no longer available, on the 5th.

Very nice work, look forward to following your progress. One thing, though, and before you get too far along, F4F-3s did not have shoulder belts, only a simple lap belt. Shoulder belts in Wildcats did not come out of the Grumman plant until around July 1942 in F4F-4s.

Even at Midway, the VF-3 and VF-6 F4F-4s had no shoulder belts. The VF-8 F4F-4s had a ship-designed and installed shoulder belt arrangement. My father remarked that he, having flown F4F-3s in VF-42 and F4F-4s in VF-3, with only lap belts, thought the VF-8 field mod was a clever idea when he saw it after flying over from Enterprise, where he had landed on 4 June after Yorktown was no longer available, on the 5th.
Thanks for the info( I don't know your name) I have already remove the shoulder belts having done a bit of research.
Vaughan

Interesting bit of info on the belts. Something I need to keep in mind as I will be doing a 1/48th 3 model for the PTO GB.
Like your work Vaughn....

Bill

What scheme are you going to do?
Most probably the USS Wasp Paul. It's the easier option as this will be the first time that I have sprayed large areas of aluminium,
and there will be no fuselage bands only the cowling.
Vaughan

Last edited:
Hi All
I've made some further progress. Still building out of sequence I've assembled the drop tanks and sprayed and weathered them. The cowling has a coat of primer. Fuselage halves are sprayed interior green and a dry run with the office and wheel bay bulkhead. All's not looking good nothing lines up and when I close the two halves together there are massive gaps all around the wheel bay bulkhead. Will have to have a think on this one and work out the best course of action.
Vaughan

Attachments

• IMG_2232 copy.jpg
    IMG_2232 copy.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_2234 copy.jpg
    IMG_2234 copy.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_2236 copy copy.jpg
    IMG_2236 copy copy.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_2239.jpg
    IMG_2239.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_2309.jpg
    IMG_2309.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_2315.jpg
    IMG_2315.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_2320.jpg
    IMG_2320.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_2321.jpg
    IMG_2321.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_2235 copy.jpg
    IMG_2235 copy.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 101
You have a couple of worries there Vaughan, not sure what to suggest, but as Paul has stated, shim, shim, shim.

Reminds me of the Dragon Mustang kit - which was worse, as nothing lined up!
Heard about a number of fit problems with various Trumpeter kits, but should be easy to rectify. As already mentioned, shim, and remove the offending bits, to replace with your own locating tabs.
Looking goo so far though.

Shim shimminy, shim shimminy, shim shim, sharoo...

the padding in my cell is wearing thin.
I keep bashing my head against it.

What silver are you using Vaughn?

**If you were asking me Paul,
mine will be VMF211, Wake Island,
the last plane lost during the invasion Dec. 8 was flown by a Davidson.

If you weren't, disregard the last.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back