**** DONE: 1/32 Grumman Wildcat F4F-3 Early – Carrier Aircraft GB (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Shim shimminy, shim shimminy, shim shim, sharoo...

the padding in my cell is wearing thin.
I keep bashing my head against it.

What silver are you using Vaughn?

Vallejo Aluminium

**If you were asking me Paul,
mine will be VMF211, Wake Island,
the last plane lost during the invasion Dec. 8 was flown by a Davidson.

If you weren't, disregard the last.

Vallejo Aluminium. I don't like the metallics they never work out how I want them to.
Vaughan

I like them little barrel shaped b@stards; yellow wings or grey/blue, dark blue or grey and white. from the bowlegged landing gear to the bug-eyed canopy, they were tough little fighters.
Can't wait to see this one done, still plenty of time left, so take care, you are doing great work!

I like them little barrel shaped b@stards; yellow wings or grey/blue, dark blue or grey and white. from the bowlegged landing gear to the bug-eyed canopy, they were tough little fighters.
Can't wait to see this one done, still plenty of time left, so take care, you are doing great work!
Thanks for the vote of confidence Paul, the metallics never seem to dry or adhere properly the slightest touch and they mark. Have tried using primer but makes little difference. Have sprayed the cowling as a test not really happy with the result. People have suggested Alclad but I don't have a spray booth, to cope with the fumes, and the over spray I gather is really bad.
Vaughan

Last edited:
Vallejo is the finest paint I have ever used. That being said, it will rub off with handling. Let the silver cure for a day, (or two if it's humid out) and then give it a coat of Future acrylic, this will seal it.
Happy modeling!
Paul.

How come I always have to be the bad guy?

F4F-3s did not use and were not equipped for drop tanks. The kind that apparently accompany the kit were not available until late 1942 and were for F4F-4.

One of the last squadrons to use F4Fs in action (F4F-4s) was VF-11. The squadron had not a few experienced Wildcat drivers who had seen plenty action in -3s and -4s in the first six months of the war. The squadron's first exposure to drop tanks was in April 1943 as they were staging through Fiji enroute to Espiritu Santo and beyond to Guadalcanal. My father, the squadron flight officer and one of those with previous combat exposure, tested out the newly installed fittings . . . the first time to test the tanks pressurizer at 30K feet on 14 April 1943. Another test on 21 April; imagine his surprise when one tank simply dropped off (note in logbook: "Tested wing tanks, Rt one fell off.") A third test, the next day, was noted as "Test wing tanks OK". With nice new wing tanks attached the squadron departed Nandi for Espirtu Santo on the 25th; everybody made it.

An earlier, and unpopular, whack at external tanks was a odd shaped affair which attached center-line on F4F-4s. A modification kit was required for its installation. The biggest complaint was that it tended to hang up when one really needed to get rid of it like "right damn now" in the presence of unfriendly encounters.

I suppose that any F4F-3 could have had the kit modification for wing tanks, say, while involved in 1943-1944 training activities stateside, but for a model of a -3 during any period in which it was a front line aircraft, external drop tanks would be a glaring anachronism.

Also the interior color for F4Fs, generally, through the end of the Grumman production run were a dark bronze-green, not the ever popular zinc chromate. Photo below is of two F4F-4 panels in my possession (truth be known, removed from my fathers' bn 11985 after the VF-11 Solomons tour in July 1943) showing the typical non-spec blue grey and the even more typical bronze-green interior paint (used regardless of exterior paint jobs) found on F4Fs. Color photos one might find of F4F interiors in zinc chromate are of interiors that have been repainted. Instructions to use zinc chromate are in error.

Rich

Attachments

• exterior right and interior left artificial light 3.jpg
    exterior right and interior left artificial light 3.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 113
Oops looks like I've got that one wrong Rich. I've got some holes to fill as they were pre drilled. Do you have any info on the early yellow wing F3's as I'm having real problems with metallic paints? Were the fuselage and underside ever painted grey or a similar colour?
Vaughan

Last edited:
Love your work Vaughan. Have not heard of the Vallejo Aluminum but it sure looks nice. I think my next build will need to be a NMF job as I need more experience with some of these techniques.

Good information Never comes from a Bad Guy!!!!!!!
It Always comes from someone who wants to share!
Helps me with my VMF211 F4F.

I think I've got the wheel bay and office bulkheads sorted out, so on with finishing them off. Here's the completed undercarriage and engine supports. I've also assembled the wheels, The tyres were a bit of a fiddle as they were very thin and fragile but came out alright in the end.
Vaughan

Attachments

• IMG_2291.jpg
    IMG_2291.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_2292.jpg
    IMG_2292.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_2293.jpg
    IMG_2293.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 84

Users who are viewing this thread