****DONE: 1/32nd scale Beaufighter VIF, 46 Sqn RAF, Egypt 1943 Group Build (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'm new to this forum and I apologize for asking something that may have been asked before . . but

I would like a paint scheme other than the flat black finish of the Mk1 night fighter version of this kit.

Obviously, I would need correct a correct decal set . . but where in the world do you find decals for a kit that is 35 years old?

It seem that on line research doesn't produce a lot of information on paint schemes except for one or two side views.

Thanks for your help.

Sorry, just spotted this post! The Beau, in European service, didn't wear the 'black' scheme for very long, changing to the general night fighter scheme of overall Medium Sea Grey, with a disruprive pattern of Dark Green on the upper surfaces, like the Mosquito, although there were, of course, some variations. The 'Warpaint' publication "Bristol Beaufighter" has some good info and colour schemes, and of course the 'SAM' book on the Beau, and how to model it, is another good source. As for decals, apart from the national markings, in general you'd only need Dull Red code letters, and either Night ( black), or Dull Red serial number/letters, both availbale from various manufacturers as decal sheets.
Hope this helps.

Outstanding work Airframes, Alas I have no interest or knowledge in RAF birds, but I have read this thread and it has interested me no end, great work.

Thanks mate! No problem with the Tamiya kit, I built it as an early night fighter about two years ago. Most of the basic internal detail is there, you'd just have to fabricate the correct radar monitor set. Not much can be seen of the interior on the 1/48th scale kit, but, far as I recall, the kit includes the thimble nose, so either of those used by the USAAF can be produced.
Let me know if you need pics of the later radar monitor (AI MkVIII).

OK, I'll dig it out and post it in your other thread, probably tomorrow. Still trying to catch up with other things!

I saw Jamie referring to this thread in his BoB Beaufighter so I had a look. What you made here Terry was a masterpiece! The interior was simply unbelievable! Awesome work! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Last edited:
Well, no wonder I'm not remembering this build, it was before my time in here.
You've done all the hard work mate......
GB42 is on, haven't gotten the kit yet, on it's way and I want to build a USAAF Mk VIF.
However it's just an itty bitty 1/72, but it's what you have done will be my guide.
I wonder if I can pull it off as well as you have!!!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back