**** DONE: 1/40 Grumman F-14 "Tomcat" - Carrier Aircraft GB (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Tried a new technique on the covering, Bill, that I found in a modelling magazine. It's called "perimeter covering". The entire wing is done in one piece. Starting at the trailing edge... Charles

I managed to get into the "wood, fabric and dope" section of A&P school, long story.... The method you describe is much like doing a planes wing and control surfaces. The addition would be a strip of felt over the leading edge of the wing under the fabric. This just extends to the back edge of the sheet metal that makes the curve of the leading edge. This cushions the impact area along with lessening the chance of chafing and tearing. The fabric overlaps at the trailing edge and a pinked strip of fabric is stuck over the join, then the fabric is shrunk before stitching.

So you got it the process down pat. Wonder what a strip of say, shirt fabric would be like first on the leading edges???? Hmmm..

I managed to get into the "wood, fabric and dope" section of A&P school, long story.... The method you describe is much like doing a planes wing and control surfaces. .......

So you got it the process down pat. Wonder what a strip of say, shirt fabric would be like first on the leading edges???? Hmmm..

Actually, there is no stitching, Bill. It's not like covering a real aircraft, because there is no chafing, the tissue doesn't move, once it's on.

Charles

It looks great, I can't see any warp :) we need some decals, are you going to weather her up a bit?

It looks great, I can't see any warp :) we need some decals, are you going to weather her up a bit?

Trust me, there is a warp in the starboard rudder. Most carrier aircraft were almost "pristine". The aircrews were always washing and painting. Don't think I will do any weathering.

Charles

I need some help, Guys.... I'm getting ready to paint the upper portions of the Tomcat, and researching VF-84 I find most of their aircraft were painted Light Ghost Gray over Flat White, with Black rudders and lower fins. And, of course, the anti-glare panel in front of the cockpit. Does anyone have any real good info ?

If this is the case, I'm in the short rows, because the upper portions of the plane are already painted Light Ghost Gray. I would just have to paint the lower portions Flat White (same-same as the underside of the Hellcat), and the rudders and lower fins.

Wojtek sent me a photo of a Tomcat of VF-213, which has basically the same color scheme. Comments are appreciated.....

edit: 1540R. Just finished masking off the Tomcat so I can paint the Flat White first thing in the morning. Decided to go with the Light Ghost Gray over Flat White. Of course... I had to break something. This time the starboard rocket rail. It's drying as we speak.

Pic's late tomorrow.....

Would you believe ? While I was in the LHS getting the Flat White, a Guillows P-51 jumped right into my shopping cart !

Charles

Last edited:
If someday I decide to finish the drawings has dorneir do 17 Z-2 and Z variants to-10 to 1/32 I send you to delight us with his mount charles f-14 this what you're leaving very nice.
I doubt has arisen on the tissu and you wont here so fools like me you can solve these problems later on, would you give him some kind of primer to soak paper to prevent paint and make those blissful balls? Or is it a special role?.

pics my friend

this f-14 is painted in light ghost grey
f14-photo-vf084-02l.jpg

This tomcat is painted above the light gull gray and white insignia lower
f14-photo-vf084-01xl.jpg

on this page are some
HOME OF M.A.T.S. - The most comprehensive Grumman F-14 Reference Work - by Torsten Anft!

more pics

DBZ_6007.jpg

DBZ_6013.jpg

DBZ_6022.jpg

are of this page:

(Boeing) Museum of Flight

Last edited:
Some nice pics there Sergio.

Looking at my Tomcat for VF 103 Charles the colours mentioned FS36357 Light Ghost Grey for the underside and FS35237 Medium Grey on all upper surfaces. This is from a Zotz decal set.

Thanks guys for the pic's. It seems the Navy (or the squadrons themselves) painted their Tomcats a bit different. I have them with Light Ghost Gray undersides, with Medium or Dark Ghost Gray topsides. Also Light Ghost Gray over White and Dark Ghost Gray over both White and Light Gull Gray. There
are even some real wild colors out there (all Black, for instance)

So I guess the choice is mine....

With that thought in mind, I decided to go with the Light Ghost Gray over Flat White. Spent close to two hours, yesterday, taping and masking. Even mixed up my paint, last night, to get a fresh start this morning. And, the painting of the undersides with the Flat White is complete. The outside humidity is 90 percent, and there is a threat of T-storms this afternoon. The model is inside, and we have the A/C on, so it should be alright. Later this evening I will unwrap it, and post some pic's. The only boo-boo I saw was I clipped one of the rudders with an over-spray of White. They will be Black anyhow, so it don't matter.

And, I (once again) soaked that warped rudder, and pinned it up for over 12 hours. It's better, but still warped. I'll keep trying....

Cheers....

Charles

Took all the paper and tape off the Tomcat this afternoon, and just shot some pic's. I'll have to take some more, showing smaller sections of the plane, rather than the whole thing. I'm sure you'll get the idea. Have some minor touching up to do, but nothing major.

Charles

Attachments

• DSC_2655.JPG
    DSC_2655.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 82
  • DSC_2656.JPG
    DSC_2656.JPG
    99.8 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC_2657.JPG
    DSC_2657.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 85
+1 on the Fantastic :) Realllyyy nice