**** DONE: 1/48 Beaufighter Mk.21 - Heavy Hitters II GB (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Good stuff Vic. The RPs would depend on the target type, and there were three types - the 60lb HE head (that's the bulbous one), 25lb SAP HE, which was not as bulbous, and the 'slim' one, the AP round, which looked similar to the American HVAR, but was a smaller diameter. The latter were normally use on anti-shipping ops, sometimes with a mix of these and 60lb HE or 25lb SAP HE.
From what I remember, the kit provides the AP rounds, and if you need them, I have some good close up photos showing the RPs, the mounting saddles and rails, and the 'pig tail' ignition leads.

Thanks Even.

Been messing with RE again, this time in the wheel bays. A couple of before and after shots.

20130529-1a.jpg

20130529-1b.jpg

20130529-1c.jpg

Haven't as yet married the fuselage to the main wing spar but it 's a damn good fit with just a little gap on the starboard rear wing area. Not a big problem when the time comes.

20130529-1d.jpg

20130529-1e.jpg

Now I'm turning my attention to the undercarriage legs, from the pics I have, a little improvement won't go amiss, so I've made a start. Hope to get these sorted tomorrow after the daily chores, got to keep the little lady happy.

20130529-1f.jpg

Good stuff Vic. Here's a couple of undercarriage pics to add to your collection, posted earlier in the other Beau thread. This is the Aussie bird at Duxford.

Attachments

• Czech 048.jpg
    Czech 048.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 112
  • Czech 049.jpg
    Czech 049.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 105
The majority of it is hidden from view up in the forward wheel well Vic, and won't be seen even if the model is turned upside down. That ring-like thing, on the left of the retraction jack in the photos is, as far as a know, a safety lock, and wouldn't be fitted normally. It'll be there to prevent the jack folding back if the aircraft is moved, whilst under restoration.

I figured that could be the case on that ringie looking thing as it looks as though it would have been snapped off on undercart retraction. I'm not thinking of inside the wheel bay cause as you say, it's all hidden, but all that hydraulic piping on the exposed leg looks challenging.

I also note on the model what looks like a couple of wheel locking pads at the rear of the upper wheel bay but have not been able to track any pics looking deep enough it the bay. Any thoughts!

Which parts do you mean Vic? I can't get to my Tamiya model at the moment to have a look, and the instruction sheet is stored 'somewhere safe' !

Ah! Now I understand. I think I might have seen something similar, in the form of a contoured 'wall' or well, where the wheel sits when retracted. Probably not exactly like the kit moulding, and i guess it's done like that for ease of making the tool.
Must have seen it in a photo somewhere, so I'll have a search. Might have been in a borrowed book though - can't remember as it was about six years ago, when I built the Tamiya kit. Or it might have been on the Beau at Duxford, although I didn't get a photo - was more concerned with the undercart legs etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back