**** DONE: 1/48 Beaufighter Mk.21 - Heavy Hitters II GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

hey Vic dont forget the thumbprint the guy who painted the real thing left behind !
its about the only thing you might not have added yet !!!!

looks great my friend but i don't know weather to admire you attention to detail or call the guys from the looney bin to come get you !

Just been thinking (I know, I know ..!), I wonder if that first engine is a Centaurus? It's sure different to all the various Hercules I've seen, in the 'flesh' and in photos.

Just been thinking (I know, I know ..!), I wonder if that first engine is a Centaurus? It's sure different to all the various Hercules I've seen, in the 'flesh' and in photos.

Oh the conundrum! Couldn't find my original reference I posted Terry but these are listed in the internet as a Bristol Hercules.

First one is from the Flugmotor Bristol Hercules XVII, Flugmotor seemingly being the photographers name plate. Second is listed as a Bristol Aero Collection, Kemble, listed as a Bristol Hercules Engine with no Mk number. Third and fourth is at Duxford again just listed as a Hercules on the manufacturing plate. Oh the mystery.

Not to worry though, for what it is worth and for what will eventually be seen, if noticed, I'll continue with the forward exhausts going into the collector ring.

XVII No 1.jpg

XVII No 2.jpg

XVII No 3-1.jpg

XVII No 3-2.jpg

Doing great work Vic! Here's a list of operations flown by A8-23.

Beaufighter A8-23 Coomalie Creek, Darwin
19 Nov 44 – S/L Tritton – fighter sweep North-East Timor
22 Nov 44 – S/L Tritton – RP strike against enemy buildings at Vila Salazar, Timor
Morotai
10 Dec 44 – F/L Rutherford – Bombing strafing attack on oil tanks at Manado, Celebes.
13 Dec 44 – F/L Klug – Strike against barges, stores AA positions at Goeroea
16 Dec 44 – F/L Sippe – Bombing strafing attack, Celebes
20 Dec 44 – S/L Boyd – Bombing strafing attack against Sidate airfield
22 Dec 44 – F/L Rutherford – Strike against barges hide-outs and piers
22 Dec 44 – F/L Gibbings – Attack shore area near Foli village
23 Dec 44 – F/O Cockroft – Strike against Hatebako - Lolobata areas
23 Dec 44 – S/L Tritton – Bombing strike near Lolobata River
24 Dec 44 – F/O Terdich – RP strafing attack against barge hide outs at Goeroea Bay
25 Dec 44 – F/L Sippe – Bombing strafing attack against Galela airstrip
27 Dec 44 – F/O Ellis – watercraft sweep
29 Dec 44 – S/L Tritton – Strike against bridge over Wangko River
30 Dec 44 – F/L Taylor – Strike against barracks stores near Sidate
31 Dec 44 – F/L Gibbings - Strike against bridge over Wangko River
4 Jan 45 – F/L Klug – RP bombing strike on stores at Sidate
5 Jan 45 – S/L Tritton – Bombing starfing attack on oil depot at Manado
6 Jan 45 – S/L Tritton – Napalm starfing attack on Likoepang village, barge hideouts and oil dumps
7 Jan 45 – S/L Tritton – RP bombing strike against Radar station on Talisei Island
12 Jan 45 – F/O Cockroft – Armed reconnaissance
13 Jan 45 – W/C Read – Search for enemy shipping
1 Feb 45 – F/L Provost – Strike against Tomohon town
3 Feb 45 – F/L Provost – Strike against bridges at Amoerang
5 Feb 45 – F/L Provost – Strike against bridges at Tanamon Poigan Rivers
6 Feb 45 – F/O Ellis – barge sweep
8 Feb 45 – W/O Careedy – Barge sweep
11 Feb 45 – F/L Provost – Strike against Tondano town
14 Feb 45 – F/L Provost – Strike against Tondano town
17 Feb 45 – F/L Provost – Sweep Boroe Island
18 Feb 45 – F/L Gibbings – Strike against W/T station storehouse at Loewoek area
23 Feb 45 – F/L Provost – Barge sweep
28 Feb 45 – F/L Provost – Strike against Limbato Bridge
2 Mar 45 – F/L Provost – Strike against jetties shore installations at Toeal, Kai Islands
3 Mar 45 – F/L Provost – Strike against barracks near Gorontalo airstrip
24 Mar 45 – F/L Provost – Barge sweep Bangka straits
31 Mar 45 – F/L Provost – Armed reconnaissance
7 Apr 45 – F/L Provost – Armed reconnaissance
18 Apr 45 – F/L Provost – Search for enemy torpedo boat near Ambon
Sanga Sanga
5 Jun 45 – F/O Burton – Strike against targets at Brunei area
11 Jun 45 – F/O Burton – Close air support, North Borneo
12 Jun 45 - F/O Burton – Close air support, North Borneo
13 Jun 45 – F/O Burton – Air cover for HMAS Shropshire

Thanks Jerry.

Andy, what can I say. Incredible information and thanks for spending time out to find and compile it. Again I ask, where do you get it from!

They might be Hercules engines Vic (though still doubtful about the first one), but not from a Beaufighter installation. They look more like type, and installation, used in the Hastings, which used a much later Hercules 106.
Here's another Duxford Hercules, as used in the Beaufighter, although lacking the exhausts.

Attachments

• Czech 022.jpg
    Czech 022.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 117
  • Czech 023.jpg
    Czech 023.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 119
Just for interest, I took some pics of a Hercules engine now restored to running condition at the Bomber Command Museum in Nanton Alberta. I think it's the same one as one of the ones you already posted Vic. Had the pleasure of seeing this one running a couple of time and boy is it loud!

IMG_4800.JPG

Here's a shot of the sleeve valve:

IMG_4801.JPG

Great pic Andy. With those individual exhausts, it would be loud!
On the Beau, with the sleeve valves, and the exhausts feeding to the collector ring, and then to the exhaust outlet, it was quiet restrained, more of a whistling purr, hence the Beau's supposed nickname. I've only heard it on the Blenheim, which sounded very restrained, compared to most radial engines.

Thanks for looking in guys and for the kind words. The Hercules is certainly a beast of a machine and that one you saw running Andy, would definitely have been not only a sight to see but an eardrum buster. The Mk XVIII on the MK 21 Beaus was referred to by the Japanese as 'Whispering Death' it was so quiet.

Also thanks again Andy (Wildcat), I never thought of the Archives being the place to look, I used to have membership but may have to renew it having been so many years ago. It's also only a short bus ride from my front door if I can tear myself away from the workbench.

So for progress so far. Engines and wheel struts finished though I'm not so happy with the engines as they seem to have got a bunch if wool fibbers on them from somewhere. I've had a go at lifting many of them but in the process the engines now look a bit messy. I'm also thinking I may lighten up the pots a bit.

20130604-1a.jpg

20130604-1b.jpg

20130604-1c.jpg

20130604-1d.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back