**** DONE: 1/48 Bf 109F-2 – Winter War / Eastern Front WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

T Bolt

Colonel
Mar 24, 2010
Chicago, Illinois
User Name: T Bolt
Name: Glenn
Category: Advanced
Kit: Hasegawa Bf109F-4
Scale: 1/48th
Accessories: AML decals, True Details resin wheels,

Bf 109F-2 W.Nr. 8085, Pilot Jurgen Harder, III/JG 53, Suwalki Poland 1941

Last edited:
I saw the profile in the first post on a decal sheet and decided that it was the one for me and ordered it. I don't really know anything about this bird at this point but will be seeing what I can find out about it and any help will be appreciated.
The kit looks pretty straight forward so I hope the late start won't be a problem. I should start on it this weekend with the cockpit and assume the interior should be RLM 66. If I am wrong in this please let me know.
Here's the Hasegawa kit and the True Details wheels

Last edited:
If you want to depict a proper F-2 from your F-4 kit:

- 2 small reinforcing strips need to be added to the seam attaching the tail section to the fuselage on each side of the aircarft. You can see these in your profile
- use the thinner prop blades
- it looks like you have a choice of two supercharger intakes. Use the more slender one.
- And if you're really meticulous, use the C3 octane sticker and not the 87 if you have one.

I too have some pics of this aircraft and the profiles above appear to represent the real aircraft accurately including the white "Harro" written under the port windscreen (Harder's brother who was killed the previous year) and the single victory bar.

Thanks Andy sounds like a pretty simple mod to do and I wasn't aware of it. George sent me a couple of photos but they may be different from the ones you have, I'll PM you my email

great choice Glenn, Harder flew a few different F's in this theatre starting with this one.

And note in the phot above this F-2 has the 'squared' wheel wells as well as the other details Andy mentioned that you will have to sort out.

Excellent choice - love the 109F.

Beware the fit of the upper cowls. May I suggest affixing each to its respective fuselage half before joining the halves. That'll leave a gap along the top, which is where the piano hinge was anyway, and that'll make it easier to deal with.

There's also something odd a out the stance of the model due to the undercarriage angle as presented in the kit but I can't recall what the fix is.

Cr@p! I knew I should have checked in here yesterday but I was away all day and came home late and started putting some parts together before bed. The wheel opening would have been a simple fix but now it will be more difficult. at least the sidewalls match the right shape.

Last edited:
Well there's your excuse to buy another Hasegawa 109F - for the wings!

Fuselage... I'd glue in some locators and support for the cowl panels and have at 'er. But I get rammy with my builds.

I have more than enough 109s in the stash, but no need to open another one.
I reshaped the wheel openings, started working on the glued up joints putting in the panel line alone the spine of the fuselage, and sprayed on a base coat pf RLM 66 on the cockpit parts.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread