**** DONE: 1/48 Bf 109G-4/R6 "Yellow 11" of 13.(Slow)/JG 52 Eastern Front GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Keeping it simple ah Andy, wish I'd taken a bet with you at the start of this build, I'd be quids in now..............looking great though and some worthy modifications.

Andy I have faith in you making this look every bit as good as the build you posted.The build looks most excellant up to this point and will finish that way :thumbleft: Cheers

Worked on making the decals and masks for the Yellow 11 and dashes today.

First off, I copied one of the profiles from earlier in this post into Photoshop and isolated the 11's and the dashes. Since the resolution was poor, I redid the black outlines in the editor. Once that was done, I deleted the background patterns and the yellow fill, which will instead be painted, leaving just the black outlines of the elevens and dashes. These were then scaled to the size I wanted and printed onto clear decal film and onto a sheet of paper (below)

110410 Ones to Decals.jpg

Next, the paper ones were cut out slightly inside the black lines to form templates for the masks. These were then taped onto a piece of Tamiya tape as shown below. It so happend that two ones fit perfectly side by side.

110410 Ones Ready to Cut.jpg

Using a sharp x-acto blade, the tape was cut along the templates:

110410 Ones Cut.jpg

...revealing the finished masks:

110410 Ones Finished.jpg

The plan is to then apply the masks to prepainted yellow areas, then once the model is completely painted, remove the masks and apply the black outline decals. The yellow areas have received an initial coat of yellow. Once again, I'm having significant problems with the Pollyscale acrylic in the new airbrush, so I'll need to allow this to cure, sand it down and touch up before applying the masks.

Thanks for checking in.

Thanks guys. Slow going at the moment. Yellow paint has gone on - not very well I'm afraid so a little polishing is in order. Also, got kinda tired looking at the wrong oil cooler louver and my OOB plans suffered another debilitating setback as I cut the thing up and scratch built some detail parts - after I painted the yellow. Pics soon.

Those of you thinking of making the 2's, at least I had nice, straight lines to deal with. Curves will be trickier but I know you're up to it!

Here's what I've been up to:

First of all, we have the yellow bits sprayed. They're still a little rough at this point. I decided at this stage to cut out the oil cooler exit flap as it just looked wrong the way it was molded in the kit.

110412 Overall Underside.jpg

Here's a close-up of the cut out flap. Unfortunatley I didn't take a shot of the before situation. After cutting the opening, I glued in a piece of plastic card to represent the roof of the duct. Note how thick the plastic is where it was cut.

110412 Oil Cooler Louver Cutout.jpg

Next, the flap was cut from a sheet of card and glued in....

110413 Oil Cooler Louver.jpg

....and the area was finish sanded and a final coat of yellow 04 applied.

110414 Oil Cooler Finished.jpg

The yellow areas for the theatre band and a/c codes have been finish painted here and sanded down a bit with 2000 grit sandpaper to smooth out some of the roughness I experienced with the acrylic before masking the areas.

110414 Overall Side.jpg

Same thing for the underside. In this case, the wing tips had already been masked so these areas are now finished except for any weathering to be done.

110414 Overall Underside.jpg

Here's a shot of the port side with the theater band mask on and the masks for the ones and dash in place. To locate these, I stuck the cross decal into position temporarily. Note the off-center placement of the dashes as shown on the profiles of this plane.

110415 Code Masks On.jpg

As it stands now, I've now oversprayed the yellow patches with a second coat of RLM 76 which is now curing overnight. The plan for the weekend is to get the camo colours on but we'll see how it goes. Pics if/when I get to that point.

Thanks for looking in.

Really nice work Andy. Excellent work with fuselage numbers. Are you going with white outlines for the fuselage crosses or with the solid ones? By the pictures it looks like they were full crosses (but gray not black) and not outlines only, though that one profile suggests otherwise...

Oh, just noticed... You're going with yellow underside cowling...!?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back