**** DONE: 1/48 Bf 109G-4/R6 "Yellow 11" of 13.(Slow)/JG 52 Eastern Front GB (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys. Once the spinner is painted, I'll increase the size of the center bore to scale. It's come in handy so far as I've used for the center of a compass to check on the mask radius.

Spinner is now done. The cannon bore has been drill out. Bits of touch up can be seen but a few coats of Future should even these out.

Attachments

• 110320 Spinner 2.jpg
    110320 Spinner 2.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 91
  • 110320 Spinner 3.jpg
    110320 Spinner 3.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 87
Very nice work Andy, but the order of colors on the spinner is wrong...

Nah, just messing with you little there mate. :lol:
It's as it should be. Gonna be an excellent model when finished.

A very nice build that Andy with some hopefully helpful hints for you as well.

I'm sorry mate. Couldn't help myself. Hope you don't mind a little joke.
You got it right, don't worry. Ironically the profile where the order of colors is depicted wrong is the one of "Yellow 1" published in Jagdwaffe book.

Thanks for the link by the way. Nice model there. Wonder if the author had some more insight in the matter or he just took artistic freedom with that model. In all of my books and materials on 13.(Slow.)/JG 52 the "Yellow 13" is mentioned several times but I couldn't find any picture of this aircraft.

Might be he just had the decals for the 13. I need to hunt down some for my "11" as I have two pairs of "ones" but they're slightly different. May need to scan and make my own.

EDIT: Igor, I don't mind a joke so no worries. However, I do have a long memory, Bwa ha ha haaaaa.......:twisted:

Thanks Terry. Hope to get on a coat of primer and maybe the 76 before the weekend. Then it's off to sunny Mexico for a week.

Thanks guys.

Progress has been slow as there's been a lot of sanding and scribing going on at the wing joints and around the cowl. I'm a bit behind the schedule stated above but there's no rush so here's where we stand.

First up is an overall shot. Since last time, a lot of work has been done cleaning up the wing to fuselage joint. Installation of the canopy has started, LE slates are on, and the underwing cannon gondolas have been placed.

110326 Overall.jpg

The below close-up of the cowl area has a couple of things to mention. The front windscreen has been glued on after significant filing down of the fuselage. I didn't get a "before" pic but where the side windows met the fuselage there was a fairly large step on both sides. I toyed with prying open the clear part (which was done at the rear canopy piece) but opted to narrow the fuselage plastic instead. The center seciton of the canopy is just loosely placed for correct spacing at this stage.

Also seen is the cowl hinge which runs along the top centerline. Hobbycraft's molding of this area was odd as the separate piece of cowl that contained the fine hinge detail did not extend to the back of the cowl. Rather, it stopped just behind the gun troughs, so the hinge abruptly stops and is lost in the fuselage seam. To remedy this, I cut a slot in the seam and glued in a piece of stretched sprue. This will receive some fine horizontal cuts to complete the hinge look. More shots of this are will be taken later when this is completed.

110326 Cowl Closeup.jpg

Finally, here's the finished prop and spinner, ready to receive a mix of Future and flat coat to get a semi gloss finish. The center cannon has been installed by drilling out the spinner and gluing in a short length of rod that has had the bore drilled out. I piece of tubing would have been better I guess but this looks fine.

The prop blades as well as the back plate are from my Hasegawa G-6 kit and fit perfectly. Hobbycraft's prop was slightly to small in diameter and just looked a bit thick so I decided not to use it.

110326 Prop.jpg

That's going to be it for a week or so as I'm off to Mexico early tomorrow. See you when I get back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back